• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crypto school and assignments

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneSailor

Jinxe are you still in "A"-school? If you still have the chance of changing your rate before you go to "A"-school, you should do it. CTO's and CTM's are being phased out. Most of them will crossrate to IT. As you can imagine, promotion for both ratings are very bad right now. It'll be worst for IT's once a flood of former CT's merge into them. M/O's with certain NEC (schools) will be able to cross-rate to CTN[(Network) The Navy's "hackers", aside from FIWC]

You should look into the CTR rating, if you want to stay in the CT field. Yes the CTR field is huge. Depending on experience or NEC's, CTR's can also do what CTM/CTO/CTI's do. Jack of all trades, master of nothing, basically. If you want to know more about CTR's feel free to email me.

Random_Guy

Mr. Nelson
I believe we will live in the BOQ, and have an option to live off base. I'm not 100% sure though. I'll tell you in 14 weeks. :)

eaw75

Jon-e-Hop said:
For all fellow cryppies. Be advised that all current NCOBC class dates are subject to change as we have just finished revising the course.
I am a CTRC (Chief Cryppie and NCOBC Instructor at this time).
I will be in the 24 April OCS class. Will keep all informed on dates when/if we get them before I leave.
As of now, what I can tell you is that NCOBC has been shortened. It was 11 weeks, and is now approx 6 weeks. Once the curriculum is approved and the pilot class is taught, we will know the actual length of the course and start getting new class dates.
The course is not terribly demanding. Just remember, as with any Navy school, it's just a lot of information in a short time.
If any of you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Chief, 6 weeks is cramming a lot of info into a short amount of time. I suppose that is what happens when people belly ache about "down time" on course critiques.

eaw75

you can live in the BOQ or off base. I would stay in the BOQ unless you are married. you can also have a motorcycle, but I wouldn't bother during the summer, it pours practically everyday, and often there are violent thunderstorms.

nater

I was just wondering if there was any new word on the NCOBC class dates for FY05? I have OCS coming up in a couple of months and would sure like to be able to figure out what I need to do with my family after OCS (prepare to move them if class is soon after OCS, or keep them where they are at if there will be an extended break between OCS and NCOBC.) Thanks!!

planejane

What happens after school?

After crypto school in Florida, are cryptos mainly sent to sea duty or is shore duty an option.

Thanks!

eaw75

twidget said:
Sea-duty is not an option for an initial assignment. You must first go to shore duty to complete qualifications. Check out the Crypto Community Manager website for additional info.

Not true. I am currently in a sea duty billet and it is my first assignment. There are plenty of initial crypto billets that go to sea. It is true that in MOST cases they will require you to complete qualifications before deploying, but not always (like me). Besides, you could be qual'ed 6 months after reporting to your first command. For the next 2 1/2 years you will probably be in a direct support role, augmenting ships underway.

twidget

Deskaholic
My bad, thanks for the clarification. I only went by what was on the community manager's website, and what I was told by the detailer. Guess there's no hard-fast rule for this one, just a higher likely-hood of shore duty. We had 9 Cryptos in my OCS class and I new of at least 5 others in other classes. No one was offered Sea Duty or Overseas Duty, though after I left, I heard someone got Japan for a first tour. We had 6 go to Ft Meade/D.C. area, and the other 3 went to Ft. Gordon.

BTW: Are you prior enlisted Crypto? That may have helped with getting to sea-duty first.

cracker

Let the fun times roll!
I have been pro-rec'd into Crypto and start OCS on July 30, 2005. I have lots of questions about Crypto, but am resigned to the fact that I'll just have to wait for many to be addressed. But, for planning purposes, exactly how long is Crypto training? I have read many conflicting lengths of time. Also, any advice for preparing is always appreciated.

cracker

Let the fun times roll!
I think I was notified on July 27th of this year. I had fun telling people I was shipping out July 30th :)

Random_Guy

Mr. Nelson
In our class 3 of the 4 cryptos got overseas assignments. 2 to Japan (including me) and 1 to the UK.

Twidget, what class were you in? And what is your crypto school date?

Status
Not open for further replies.