• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crypto school and assignments

Status
Not open for further replies.

twidget

Deskaholic
I'm looking for info specific to the Crypto community. I also thought it would be good to get a forum going for applicants, candidates, and officers to correspond and learn from each other. There a ton of info for SNA/NFO etc. but not much out there for Crypto.

Anybody have an idea what to expect from the Basic Crypto course following OCS? I've got a 17 April start date, so judging by the dates that line up, I'll probably be in the 19 July Crypto course. Is the training difficult, anything good to study prior to going? How are the living conditions, is COMRATS authorized?

How about follow-on assignment and future duties. What's the usual mix of sea/shore/overseas? Is graduate education hard to come by, or part of the normal path?

Well, that's enough for now. I've got plenty more where that came from, and I'm sure my fellow applicants can come up with a bunch more.

dividebyzero

Hiya...
Can't say I'm an expert on the officer side of the house (nor Pensacola, since I'm a linguist and went to Monterey, and therefore am better than everyone else
dopey_125.gif
dopey_125.gif
) , but I know plenty of folks you can talk to.

What I can say, though, is that the training for crypto officers in P-Cola isn't really that hard. The only thing unclassified that you really can study (and that I'd recommend if you're not coming from a technical background) is electromagnetic radiation and wave theory; computer networking couldn't hurt either.

Once again, I don't know the officer sea/shore rotations, but cryptology's funny that way in what's on paper doesn't really matter in the end.

Most likely shore duty stations (in order of likelihood):
NSGA Ft. Meade
NSGA Kunia, HI.
NSGA Ft. Gordon, GA.
NSGA Bahrain
NSGD Misawa AFB, Japan.

And there's always:
Diego Garcia
Rota, Spain
(maybe) Medina, TX.
RAF Mildenhall, UK.

Despite all my attitudes about cryptology, which are pretty obvious on this board, I have to say cryppies/intel have it *made* for graduate education. In addition to Naval Postgraduate School, we have the National Cryptologic School, the Joint Military Intelligence Center (or college?) among many, many others. You'll not be hurting in that particular respect.
dopey_125.gif
dopey_125.gif

twidget

Deskaholic
Thanks. I think I'll be OK in the E/M theory as I'm a radar ET. I've done the Crypto courses on the Navy Learning site as well. Are the officers set on a specific track early, such as technical, linguistic, or other specialties, or do they just cover all the bases?

How long have you been a CT, and where have you been stationed? Are there any duty stations that you would recommend or not recommend?

Have you applied to OCS already? I'm sure CTs have a huge advantage over others going up for Crypto Officer. I just wish it wasn't 7 months wait to go to OCS. I've already been extended at my command since May waiting for an answer.
bigmouth_125.gif

digger

There is a speed limit when taxing officer?
twidget,
When did you put your package in? The instruction states that the application process is 4 to 6 weeks (page 4-8 3b) and that your chain of command will be notified of selection or non-selection.

twidget

Deskaholic
Digger,

I started the application in Feb/March, graduated in May, and had everything together for approval in the last week of May. Unfortunately, my chain of command and CCC didn't get the thing in the mail for nearly a month! The package was reviewed in the first week of July by the Enlisted Applications Processor (Ed Phillips), then sent to the communities I applied for July 5th.

Then another delay popped up. Ed Phillips said it takes some time for the app to get from him to the communities, so I waited. After calls for 3 weeks to the Community Manager, who said he did not get my app yet, I called Ed Phillips again. He told me when my app had been emailed to each of the communities. Then, when I got back with the CM on the specific day he should have recieved it...VIOLA, there it was in his email inbox just like it was supposed to be. The Community Manager was new, got a poor turnover, and meanwhile they changed the routing to electronic. He had been looking for a hard-copy.

So, anyway I got a professional recommendation I think at the end of August. Then, last Monday got the word that I was picked up.

Short story: I guess it took about 3 months to get an answer back, but at least 2 weeks of that was inbox dead time.

You should probably put in a 1306/7 requesting an extension for a couple of months "waiting OCS results" just to be safe. Have you taken the test and had your physical yet? If you don't have everything but the interviews and the COs recommendation done, you may want to request a little more time.

Let me know how everything goes, or if you have anymore questions.

savingthisone

Here is list of shore stations of the Naval Security Group:

Naval Security Group Headquarters, Fort Meade
NSGA, Denver, Colorado (NSGADEN)
NSGA Groton, CT
NSGA Fort Gordon
NSGA Hanza Okinawa, Japan
Naval Security Group Activity Kunia, Hawaii
NSGA Medina
NSGA Pensacola
Naval Security Group Activity Pearl Harbor
NSGA, Winter Harbor, Maine
Naval Security Group Activity Yokosuka, Japan

Naval Security Group Detachment, Monterey, CA

Most all flags (afloat and ashore) have DIRSUPP Units as well.

digger

I have completed the physical and test (waiting for results, I will post). Was CRYPTO your first choice, what were you other choices?

twidget

Deskaholic
Yeah, Crypto was my first choice, Intel second. I didn't put down a third. I'm going to just lay out my stats for you and any other Crypto hopefulls.

TIS: 12 Years
ASTB: 62 7/7/7
BS Engineering Tech. 3.2 GPA
1 NAM
1 Navy Comm
Only 4 years sea duty
boggled_125.gif

COs Rec: all 10s
Interviews: 3 Crypto (1 CDR, 1 LT, 1 ENS), 10s
1 Intel (CDR), 10s
Letters of Rec from former CO (CAPT), and 2 former DIVOs both LTs.

I know there are a few others out there waiting for a decision, maybe they can post their stats for comparison.

Jinxe

Im new here but im a CTO (Cryptologic Technician Operator) and I have absolutly no idea on what to expect in school or anything. Iv heard descriptions of what I do but non of my recruiters can tell me anything cuz they arent even allowed to know.

Can someone tell me what to expect in P. Florida or like a small description of what it is i do?

digger

Jinxe,
Heres a link
http://www.bupers.navy.mil/pers2/N132D8/cto/cto_webpage.htm

dividebyzero

Be advised, Jinxe, that you probably won't get a good grasp of what it is you'll be doing before you get to school, because:

A) 80% or so is classified.
B) No one outside the CT community is going to know.

Despite that, especially as an -O brancher, there's absolutely no limit to what you could be doing. -R's and -O's are the proverbial "swiss army knives" of the crypto community, and do absolutely everything. There's a very good chance that what you train to do in A school, will be completely different from what you'll end up doing at your duty station.

Since the jobs of -O's vary so much, I couldn't tell you specifically what you could expect even if you did have your clearance. But, don't let tha discourage you, as the very fact of the -O brancher's professional variability means they also get to do a lot of REALLY cool things (that us poor, hapless -I's aren't privy too
grumpy_125.gif
).

Here's a tip, though. Remember "NIST" teams. Can't tell you what the acronymn means, but ask around once you get to p-cola.

TiffsGuy

For all you future Cryppies out there, Twidget was kind enough to provide the remaining 2004 dates for the 13-week Naval Cryptologic Officer Basic Course (NCOBC) conducted at Corry Station, Pensacola:

2004-JUN-14
2004-JUL-19
2004-SEP-06
2004-OCT-04
2004-NOV-01

If anyone has attended this course, your comments and/or insights would be most appreciated.

Jon-e-Hop

For all fellow cryppies. Be advised that all current NCOBC class dates are subject to change as we have just finished revising the course.
I am a CTRC (Chief Cryppie and NCOBC Instructor at this time).
I will be in the 24 April OCS class. Will keep all informed on dates when/if we get them before I leave.
As of now, what I can tell you is that NCOBC has been shortened. It was 11 weeks, and is now approx 6 weeks. Once the curriculum is approved and the pilot class is taught, we will know the actual length of the course and start getting new class dates.
The course is not terribly demanding. Just remember, as with any Navy school, it's just a lot of information in a short time.
If any of you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

TiffsGuy

Current Cryppies-

Is there more than one designator (16450) for Crypto and how does it relate to the 161X I also see? Are the subspecialty codes like 6205 (IW), 6203 (CSSD) still in use? Are post-NCOBC assignments based on need, aptitude, personal preference, coin toss? Just curiosity questions .....

Jon-e-Hop

Dawg,
The designators are as follows,
1645- All new accession Cryppie officers, which are commissioned in the Naval Reserve.
1615- Still in the Reserve, but have completed qualifications for Cryptology.
1610- Will become your designator, when you make LT, at which time you also become part of the Active duty Navy.

As far as assignments, they are pretty much based on needs of the Navy. Your previous experience will help and you will be able to "negotiate" somewhat. Be sure to do your dream sheet when they give them to you. LT Dudley will look at it.
Hope this helps.
Jon-e-Hop

Status
Not open for further replies.