• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crunch form

E6286

OCC 191 Select
What is the appropriate crunch form? Last time I did a PFT the MSgt. had me fold my arms across the bottom of my stomach and touch my forearm to my thigh. My OSO (wasn't there when I did the PFT) had told me to cross my arms with my hands under my armpits and my elbows touch my thighs (like the navy does). Which is correct? Are both acceptable? I just want to train the same way I will have to do it in reality.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Your arms can be either or anywhere in between, so long as they remain in constant contact w/ your torso. Also, your butt has to stay in contact w/ the ground.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Cool. What about heels to butt? Do they have to be really close together or can you have some distance between your feet and your butt? It seems alot easier with some distance even though you are going further it doesn't seem to strain as much to me.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Abs

How many days per week should you do abs? Is it counterproductive to work out abs a little each day? Are you better off hammering them 3 times per week or what?

Lawman

None
E6286 said:
How many days per week should you do abs? Is it counterproductive to work out abs a little each day? Are you better off hammering them 3 times per week or what?

Once a night every night to 100, if you can hit them all at once great, if not dont go anywhere and just finish. Once you can do 100 no problem, add 50. Dont worry about "hitting them hard" if your doing any kind of weight training program your already using them enough and the nightly ritual wont break you. Also dont worry about alternating positions or doing side crunches or any of that other TV aerobics crap, there is no easy way around these just like running or pullups you get good by doing the way your PFT'd.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
So just 100 a night total is enough? I had been doing sets of 50 every half hour or so once I was home. Well, I tried that last night anyway and it worked pretty well. Tonight I will try your way. I think I can get close to 100 out at once and then probably take some time to add 50 more. We will see how it goes. Thanks.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The acceptable form from this summer was one of the following three:
-both hands in armpits
-both hands on triceps
-one hand on tricep, one in armpit
with no space between the arms and the chest.

hands on elbows, like i initially did them, are not allowed, and your partner is not allowed to cross arms when holding your legs. They didn't care about butt to heel distance but I found it easier when it was as close as possible - cut down on the range of motion.

What worked for me prior to shipping was 2min-1min-30sec-30sec sets, every day prior to shipping out. Work on technique and try to "sprint" those short sets. My technique lagged while at OCS and I dropped 18 crunches on my intermediate because I lost my sprint pace.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I've heard stories of different people making you do them different ways. I would think the best way to practice is with your arms as high up as possible, which would make them the hardest possible. Then you just might get a break if someone lets you do them with your arms lower.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
On another note: How does everybody pace their crunches? I was doing 50 asap then resting and then doing sets of 10 til I maxed. Now I was thinking going to 60 then sets of 10. I can do a 100 now I am just trying to be as efficient as possible without risking crappin out early.

Slammer2

Contributor
E6286 said:
On another note: How does everybody pace their crunches? I was doing 50 asap then resting and then doing sets of 10 til I maxed. Now I was thinking going to 60 then sets of 10. I can do a 100 now I am just trying to be as efficient as possible without risking crappin out early.

I plan on doing the same, but once 50 comes i usually say f*** it and go to about 70. Sets of 10 the rest of the way

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Keep in mind that abs are just like any other muscle in your body, they need rest. I do abs hard about 3 times a week...MAX. I have always maxed out the crunches. Some guys swear by like 30 min of abs every day, but I do not think that is necessary nor do I think you get all of what you put in to it with that method. Mix it up as well, vary up your crunches and other ab exercises as well.

Slammer2

Contributor
brd2881 said:
Keep in mind that abs are just like any other muscle in your body, they need rest. I do abs hard about 3 times a week...MAX. I have always maxed out the crunches. Some guys swear by like 30 min of abs every day, but I do not think that is necessary nor do I think you get all of what you put in to it with that method. Mix it up as well, vary up your crunches and other ab exercises as well.

I agree with that too...i did my 2 minute on 2 minute off drill every day until i was able to hit 100 consistently. Now i do them 2-3 times a week just to keep it up. I noticed when i first started, i may have pushed it too hard by doing it nonstop everyday. This was pretty much counter productive in the end as it made it hurt, but thankfully, it did not take a long time before i could get it up

Edit: last sentence refering to getting my crunches up to 100

stevo01

My legs start burning(quads) way before my abs do. they give out first. Ive tried everyway you can think of, but still cant max them out.

RA0203

The best crunch workout I have done is to do 4 sets to failure with 60 seconds rest between each set. A good goal is for each set to equal 50% of the previous set. I now have zero problems reaching the max for my PFT and I do these only two times a week.

Slammer2

Contributor
stevo01 said:
My legs start burning(quads) way before my abs do. they give out first. Ive tried everyway you can think of, but still cant max them out.

sometimes i'll pull my foot behind my butt and lean back to stretch the quad....i'm sure theres a more appropriate name for that....also try to move your butt closer to your heels when you do them....that might help a little