• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crosswind Takeoff

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
On another note, I thought that it looked that he was crabbed while the mains were still on the runway, or is that just the slope getting in the way.

Some aircraft (the B-52 comes to mind) have landing gear that caster for x-wind takeoffs and landing. Is this feature found on any of the commercial big guys?

From Global Security...
Both the front and rear bogies can be set at angles of as much as 20° to either side of the straight-ahead position. In a crosswind landing, consequently, the aircraft can be headed directly into the wind while rolling down a runway not aligned with the wind.

thull

I wonder if A4s has ever flown out of this airport..if this doesn't upload correctly, disregard this post..

ATTENTION ALL YOU PILOTS OUT THERE! ! !
Old Hong Kong Airport. Now called Kaitak Airport .​
ShowLetter
Photos # 1 and # 2 were taken from the
high rise balconies .. sort of like driving thru
midtown Manhattan to Times Square !!!
No autopilot stuff here...hand-fly that
sucker, and don't screw up...!!!
The prayer : "Lord, if I'm gon na die...please
don't let it be pilot error!"
ShowLetter
At ILS "Minimums"...you break out of the
clouds at the top of a hill! First one to
see it calls, "Checkerboard in sight."
ShowLetter
Now...hard right turn and dive .. and don't
mess around, or you simply won't make it!
Is that a short runway or what!
ShowLetter
Woe to you if you're too high!
ShowLetter
St rong cross winds were common .. so you had to "crab" all the way to the runway!
ShowLetter
Sometimes the cross-winds were stronger than others...
ShowLetter
Over-shoot, and you're in the drink ... kick it out of the crab too soon, and you're blown back off the runway. Wait too late, and crunch #4 engine
]
ShowLetter
Overreact on the crab correction, and "Crunch" # 1 engine!
ShowLetter
BRDo't "Float" or try to make a smooth landing. Just put it on. "Firm" landings help dissipate energy, and help you stop!
ShowLetter
Drop too low, and you'll drag your wheels thru the high rises!
ShowLetter
What I said was: "I think we're a little high and fast!" .. that was a nice smooth touchdown though, Sir !
ShowLetter
I'd say: Ask those at the ticket counter if your aircraft plans to land at the old Hong KongAirport (now the KaitakAirport). If you get an affirmative answer, quick, change flights! Tough place to visit, especially by AIR.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I wonder if A4s has ever flown out of this airport.......if your aircraft plans to land at the old Hong KongAirport (now the KaitakAirport). If you get an affirmative answer, quick, change flights! Tough place to visit, especially by AIR.

Don't change flights ... just sit down, belt in, and firmly grip the seat arms. :)

Many, many times over the years I've been chased by a typhoon down the Taiwan Strait or across the South China Sea only to have to shoot the IGS to Kai Tak -- by the way -- it always was known as Kai Tak (sic) ... not "now":) ... and "now" it's closed ... it was my first IFR approach in the Orient ... and after a modicum of sweating and "paying attention" ... I had the RW 13 IGS "wired" after 4-5 shots at it. RW 31 was a piece of cake, by comparison, except for the sometimes HEAVY turbulence on final approach when coming through the eastern channel. And the go-around procedure for 31 was akin to a career-ending maneuver ... without looking it up, it had something like 3-4 NAVAID changes and many altitude changes.

Thereafter I became comfortable with the approaches to the extent that I looked "forward" to the Hong Kong leg and the approach -- an opportunity to excel and/or show off. Reputation and "street cred" counts even in the airlines. You just have to know your airplane, know the airport, and brief your crew ... and the rest is up to you ... :)

A great layover and liberty port, Hong Kong. Used to be better; my favorite ... but it's still great, ChiComs notwithstanding.

Old Kai Tak in the right foreground ... the finger of RW 31 sticking out into the "fragrant harbor"...

... which is what "Hong Kong"
() means ... ;)

june20020194fp.jpg

plc67

pilot
We may be getting our shot at the Orient, although I don't know if Hong Kong is in the cards. I always wanted a shot at the Checkerboard but that ain't gonna ever happen.As for crosswind landing technique, the DC8 demanded a crab/de-crab maneuver in moderate and above winds. If you touched down with 8 degrees or more bank angle you got a pod. The 767 allows you wing down, top rudder up to about 29 knots of crosswind.
There's an excellent crosswind video on You Tube, type in crosswind for the search(I don't know how to post the link), it shows Boeing 777 pilots going through the procedures to establish the max demonstrated component. I believe the landings are all autoland, and they land in the crab.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Airbus 300- Max X-wind is 32 knots.. Supposedly you can land in a crab but the other pilot would think you've been hitting peacepipe if you did that... I usually crab until the 100ft callout then wing-down/top rudder.. On take-off, it is recommended to just use rudder but us former 727 guys still use aileron also.. A-310 flys the same but X-wind is reduced by 2 knots... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
We may be getting our shot at the Orient, although I don't know if Hong Kong is in the cards. ....
Well, here's to hoping you get it all ... as the Orient is the best flying I've done ... and I've basically done 'em all : CONUS, the Orient, Europe, Middle East, India, South America, China, Siberian Russia, Alaska and the northern Canadian routes, Atlantic and Pacific crossings .... I guess I've even "done" Africa if you count Mombasa and "the Mog" ... :)

I knew a little of the "Orient" compliments of UNCLE and USS BOAT, so when the airline opportunity came along -- with my third airline :eek: --- I came, I saw, I liked, I stayed ... ;)

The Orient flying is still 'Numba 1 in my book.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some of those are from a flight test series. Good call on the mute.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I want to know what happens to the 747 near the end that you watch make the huge crosswind approach with a strong right crosswind. The one where the viewer is sort of looking down on it from the rear left quarter of the 747.

It lands then you see the nose start to swing right, the gear start to smoke and the video always ends.

Did it stay on the runway and make it?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I want to know what happens to the 747 near the end that you watch make the huge crosswind approach with a strong right crosswind. The one where the viewer is sort of looking down on it from the rear left quarter of the 747.

It lands then you see the nose start to swing right, the gear start to smoke and the video always ends.

Did it stay on the runway and make it?
The Kai-Tak approach??? If so, yes .... they "made" it .... :)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
:eek: Yikes!!! :eek:

That was a hairy approach.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm surprised whoever almost ran the Goshawk off the runway didn't erase the HUD tape at the earliest opportunity. Yikes, that was hairy.