• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

PT Goodtimes

pilot
Hope this is the right forum. I'm hoping one of you guys can give me some guidance on a question that the nice people I talk to at the 1-866 number struggle with.

I am an O-4 in the IRR who is in Year 20. I confirmed with PERS today that I have 19 'good years'. My anniversary date is May 15, will hit 20 years on May 15, 2019. I have completed 40 some points in courses (thanks NWC) since my last anniversary (PERS93 confirmed eligibility and I got email recommending point entry), so combined with the 15 grat points, I'll have 20 'good years' on May 15, 2019.

My question is this: what do I do now? Do I submit the request to transfer to the Retired Reserve 3-6 months prior to Jun. 1, 2019 (which would be my requested retirement date)? That's what the IRR website seems to say. But the lady on the phone (who was very nice) said if I do that, since I won't have a NOE, they'll reject the request? She said I might need to wait till I hit 20, then I'll get my NOE, and then I can submit for retirement. I'm reluctant to do that, because I fear the Navy will boot me at year 20 as a 2xFOS O-4.

Any thoughts? Also, is there anyway to talk to someone at PERS912 and not just the help desk?

Thanks all

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Hope this is the right forum. I'm hoping one of you guys can give me some guidance on a question that the nice people I talk to at the 1-866 number struggle with.

I am an O-4 in the IRR who is in Year 20. I confirmed with PERS today that I have 19 'good years'. My anniversary date is May 15, will hit 20 years on May 15, 2019. I have completed 40 some points in courses (thanks NWC) since my last anniversary (PERS93 confirmed eligibility and I got email recommending point entry), so combined with the 15 grat points, I'll have 20 'good years' on May 15, 2019.

My question is this: what do I do now? Do I submit the request to transfer to the Retired Reserve 3-6 months prior to Jun. 1, 2019 (which would be my requested retirement date)? That's what the IRR website seems to say. But the lady on the phone (who was very nice) said if I do that, since I won't have a NOE, they'll reject the request? She said I might need to wait till I hit 20, then I'll get my NOE, and then I can submit for retirement. I'm reluctant to do that, because I fear the Navy will boot me at year 20 as a 2xFOS O-4.

Any thoughts? Also, is there anyway to talk to someone at PERS912 and not just the help desk?

Thanks all
I did nothing.. As a terminal 0-4, you can’t go beyond 20. I got a letter that basically said same thing and ‘I think’ don’t remember exactly (retired in ‘13), it had 2 blocks to check. One was for continuance and the other was retire. I checked retire and sent it back and shortly after got retirement papers and a flag in the mail.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Had a stressful last month. In anticipation of retirement I called IRR Counselor and was directed to PERS to ask the same question PT Goodtimes asked. I'm point complete with year 19 and simply waiting for the anniversary date to click over and will then have 19 years, 5 months, & 10 days. I was also assuming that I will be allowed to retire 6 months & 20 days into my next anniversary year and called PERS to find out if I should be applying for retirement at the 6 month lead-time like the website states or if I should do nothing. The young man I was speaking to then informed me that I had two bad years right in the middle of my 7 years AD for my pilot commitment. Now, this seemed impossible to me, but holy $h!t, when you hear it from the "powers that be" on the other end of the phone, it's damned unnerving. It took a month, 4 or 5 more calls, and about 4 hours on the phone, but I finally got through to a "Team Lead" who stated emphatically, "with no doubt what-so-ever and 100% certainty" that I don't have 2 bad years. So, that's a huge relief, even if it was the expected outcome. But, here's the punchline: there are a lot of new folks in the PERS world and they don't all understand the technicalities and nuances of this stuff. It took quite a few tries to get to the Team Lead & Expert to get the real scoop. And once again, all the IRR types need to understand that no one cares about you, except you.

To answer the questions as to when to start retirement paperwork, they submitted a ticket for me, I received an email at my contact info email address that stated the ticket had been opened and also displayed the questions I asked that needed answering. So...they're automating and electronically generating requests, which is nice to see as it should increase accountability and improve responsiveness. I'll report back when I hear the official answer.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Great to hear, Sam!

Question for the group: I checked my ARPR the other day. It failed to capture my recent ADT (undercounted by 50% the days that I served). I think this is because I got paid in 3 different LES checks, and somehow only one LES went into my ARPR. NOSC was not helpful/ able to resolve. Whom can I contact to get my ARPR corrected? I have my NROWS showing the actual dates.

Sam I am

pilot
Contributor
Official response from PERS received via email:

"As of 12/30/2017 you have 4,270 points and 18yrs 5mo 10 days toward retirement. After you complete 20 qualifying years, you can apply for retirement on the 1st day of the month on any month there after."

So, based on that statement and by my math, I'll be at 19 years 5 months and 10 days on 12/31/2017...I need to complete 6 months and 20 days to get to 20 qualifying years. Thus, my 20 qualifying year date will be 23 July, 2019. And my retirement date, 01 August, 2019.

Sam I am

pilot
Contributor
Official response from PERS received via email:

"As of 12/30/2017 you have 4,270 points and 18yrs 5mo 10 days toward retirement. After you complete 20 qualifying years, you can apply for retirement on the 1st day of the month on any month there after."

So, based on that statement and by my math, I'll be at 19 years 5 months and 10 days on 12/31/2017 12/31/2018...I need to complete 6 months and 20 days to get to 20 qualifying years. Thus, my 20 qualifying year date will be 23 July, 2019. And my retirement date, 01 August, 2019.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
on 12/31/2017 12/31/2018...

giphy.gif

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great to hear, Sam!

Question for the group: I checked my ARPR the other day. It failed to capture my recent ADT (undercounted by 50% the days that I served). I think this is because I got paid in 3 different LES checks, and somehow only one LES went into my ARPR. NOSC was not helpful/ able to resolve. Whom can I contact to get my ARPR corrected? I have my NROWS showing the actual dates.

How long ago was your ADT? The ARPR points can take months to catch up, mine has always ended up accurate even if it takes a few months. I would wait at least 6 months before worrying about, just keep a hold of your orders so that if it does come to having to get it corrected you have evidence.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Rgr. The wrinkle is that part of the ADT (the middle of three LESs) did get captured in my ARPR. But I will standby. Only 19 years until retirement!

halo1

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but I truly greatly appreciate all your insights just from reading. I'm actually an AF Reservist. I have to obtain 35 points (plus 15 membership) for one last good year to reach 20 good years and then retire. I had been a normal, active participant in the AF reserves. I'm one of the ones who actually got a letter stating I would be retained in my current unit of assignment until I complete 20 years of satisfactory service, or until my mandatory separation date, whichever is earlier (I was passed over twice for promotion to O-4, yet I had reached 18 years of service for Reserve sanctuary). However, I was not retained in my position at my unit due to manpower deauthorization. Thus, I've been feeling like I'm in limbo being left without a unit at which to drill and earn pay/points. However, I'm now getting on with the Reserves unique Key Employee program, and then I will be able to take Air University courses for retirement points. Apparently, I could even take Navy/Army courses IF I had already taken a similar PME/correspondence course from the Air Force first. And I can drill with my civilian unit as my new unit of attachment for retirement points only. Apparently performance reports are completely optional in this key employee program (I'm a federal government employee with a unique skillset contributing directly to defense). I understand a lot here just do correspondence courses, but does anyone have experience with drilling for points only within the standby reserve active status list? Do all the same requirements typically apply when drilling just for points (medical/dental/fitness tests/OPRs)?

Also, I'm interested in how long it takes to retire once one hits the 20 year mark. I understand I can contact my points mgt folks and get their thumbs up that I actually reached 20 years. Yet the afrc website says the effective date of retirement must be at least six months out from the date of submission. How does that time lag work if by federal law I must be retired upon hitting 20 years? I would think I would be retired on the 1st of the month just after hitting 20 years, but I got the impression that there was a 6 month lag no matter what. How does that work really in the Navy? What was your own actual experience with this time lag from 20 years to actual, no-kidding retirement?

Perhaps of interest to personnel on this forum is I talked to a lady at points who seems to have many years of experience. She said that the Navy "got in trouble" maybe 4-5 years back for allowing lots of points to be obtained via correspondence. And there has actually been a crackdown on correspondence courses from the DoD level on all the services. She said that there is talk and possible intent from above to completely eliminate correspondence courses. However, I see that as shortsighted/unfair. Personnel like me for example have been allowed 3 years in order to obtain 2 more good years of service. I should think a minimum of 3 years of correspondence course points must be allowed in order to comply with federal law on sanctuary (title 10, section 12646) to give someone like me/others who are close the opportunity to reach 20 years to retire. Plus, aren't you required to earn a certain minimal number of points each year to be in good standing to the Navy inactive reserve sections (or face being completely separated if you don't)? Would this force the Navy to rethink their expectations of their inactive reserves & participation?

Appreciate hearing your experiences.

Sam I am

pilot
Contributor
So, I'll repost this information here as I also posted this in the Correspondence Course Review Thread...

My anniversary date is 30 Dec and I completed and submitted my last points back in September/October...whenever the dead line was for NETC. I already had a good year on the books, point-wise, but figured I might as well grab them since they were going to disappear anyway. Anyway, that put me 19 years 5 months 17 days...or something close to that. Anywho...I called today to verify my points for last year and was informed they weren't in there yet and that I should allow 6-9 months for them to be entered. I then told them that in 6-9 months I'd hit my 20 year mark and would be applying or retirement. I was then asked to check back in 4 months to verify my points and if they weren't yet entered at that point they would open a trouble ticket for it. I'm not sure when I'll be able to apply for retirement now as I'll be submitting my final point submission for my last 6 months and 13 days in May when my last class is complete. So...the waters are cloudier than ever. More to follow when news becomes available.

SlickAg

pilot
At NSIPS and BOL are communicating with each other...

Just kidding. fakenews.com/navyreserve

Currently the points count ends somewhere around August of 2018 or so. Once drills are mustered in EDM apparently that’s when they get sent over to BOL. Apparently the 1970s technology upon which the Navy relies has failed once again.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Posting over in the "How to reinstate a commission thread" got me thinking. I'm sitting at 6700ish point and an AGR position. I have 17 years active service and I'm 55 (56 in Nov). I have had 7 periods toward reducing my minimum retirement age, so I could collect retirement at age 58 years 3 months. If I stick around flying Blackhawks, I probably won't see another deployment before retirement. I have an opportunity to possibly fly C-12s. I would definitely deploy again if I do that. That deployment would back up my retirement age to 57 years 6 months. There is an ADSO of 5 years that goes with the transition, but it hasn't been enforced in our state in recent history. We just had a guy retire after only 4 years. How many of you would jump on the C-12 opportunity, deploy, then retire?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Posting over in the "How to reinstate a commission thread" got me thinking. I'm sitting at 6700ish point and an AGR position. I have 17 years active service and I'm 55 (56 in Nov). I have had 7 periods toward reducing my minimum retirement age, so I could collect retirement at age 58 years 3 months. If I stick around flying Blackhawks, I probably won't see another deployment before retirement. I have an opportunity to possibly fly C-12s. I would definitely deploy again if I do that. That deployment would back up my retirement age to 57 years 6 months. There is an ADSO of 5 years that goes with the transition, but it hasn't been enforced in our state in recent history. We just had a guy retire after only 4 years. How many of you would jump on the C-12 opportunity, deploy, then retire?

Would you be flying R version on your deployment? That could be pretty cool. You’ve apparently done a crap load of -60 stuff in the sandbox so a change...with the addition of the retirement push back (and an additional 400 or so points) makes it a nice deal. I just started my NG retirement with about the same number of points (6500ish for me) and the check ain’t bad. I am out of the game, but I’d say deploy.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Oh yeah, forgot to say I have 23 qualifying years.

Almost certainly not the R. Just ass and trash in a place that is NOT Iraq!

I don't mind the deployment as much as the pre-mob at Ft. Hood. Ft. Hood isn't SERE school, but I feel like you can see it from there. Nothing like tossing you the keys to a $15m helicopter while also saying we don't trust you to drive to the convenient store to get ice, even though our ice maker is broken and we can't fix it. LOL Also, deploying wearing David Clarks beats the hell out of 40 lbs worth of body armor, survival gear and weapons.