• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

jeff86

I want to make sure we are on the same sheet of music, what is your concern about not getting past 16 years? What Fester and I are talking about is getting 16 years of actual active duty time, that is where the waiver comes in so they can track folks nearing 'sanctuary' for an active duty retirement and not reserve retirement.

With your prior active duty time you should be able to make 20 years in the reserves and get retirement even if you don't get promoted to LCDR, you just need to make sure you get 7 good years and make LT and you'll make 20 pretty very easily with time to spare. You are one of the few in that position, an enviable one in the competitive 1835 community.

@Flash,
Sorry if I wasn't clear - I know I'm good to go as far as qualifying for reserve retirement with no major issues, I actually technically already have 14 "good years" based on my anniversary, I was just trying to figure out how much additional time I'd be able to spend on ADSW, mobilizations, etc before the Navy cut me off. And that guy's experience in Stuttgart sounds about right, the unit he was likely supporting is absolutely brutal with their augmentees.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know a guy who was in Stuttgart for 2 months, he was able to get off base once in that whole time with 12-16 hour days being the norm supporting 'joint' (SOCOM) ops. He keeps saying it was the most miserable time he has had with the DoD, period.

Man, that sucks. The AC guys I know who went there for a regular tour had a ball.

Then again, some folks can be miserable anywhere. Knew another guy who bitched and moaned through his whole 24 months at JIATF Key West.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Man, that sucks. The AC guys I know who went there for a regular tour had a ball.

Then again, some folks can be miserable anywhere. Knew another guy who bitched and moaned through his whole 24 months at JIATF Key West.

The guy isn't a sourpuss and loves hanging out in Europe, it was the job that was a killer with a never ending supply of horror stories and very long and full working hours. I know 4 guys in my unit that have done it (we get a AQD that the billet calls for) and all of them came back saying how tough it was and how difficult it was to work for/with SOCOM.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The guy isn't a sourpuss and loves hanging out in Europe, it was the job that was a killer with a never ending supply of horror stories and very long and full working hours. I know 4 guys in my unit that have done it (we get a AQD that the billet calls for) and all of them came back saying how tough it was and how difficult it was to work for/with SOCOM.

Oh I believe it. I’ve seen several examples of AC (and some RC) “leadership” asking why any of the Reservists need time off during their mobs. Good times.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh I believe it. I’ve seen several examples of AC (and some RC) “leadership” asking why any of the Reservists need time off during their mobs. Good times.

It had more to do with the general culture he was working with, SOCOM. Where folks were never wrong and were the experts on all things, to include all aspects of aviation even if they had only ever jumped out of them. Being told that he was doing his job wrong almost every day by folks who didn't even have a basic understanding of aviation gave him a bad taste, in addition to the relentless pace and the huge workload.

GubMints

Guys - Just to let you all know, I finally made it. Thanks to all those here who helped me along- The last few years of IRR were challenging (since I am CAC-less).

I got my NOE letter in the mail on Friday - I took me 25 years to get 20 years' of credit, but nobody ever accused me of being good at math :)

Now to decide when my 'retirement' date will be, and whether to pick option A/B/C for RCSBP...

priormissioncommander

None
Is the only required form the form to request to transfer to the Retired Reserve?

I also receive a form subject "RESOLUTION OF STATUS" offering to extend 4 years if a panel approves it (hitting max years for an O-4).

Does anyone know if and when we are required to fill out DD Form 2656 and DD Form 108?

atmahan

... facility for offence.
I also just got my letter telling me that I will hit 20 this year and that I will get my Retirement Papers soon! (if I send in the response to the letter by the end of next month).

Thanks to All for the conversations and info on this forum.

Special Thanks to vxc961 for starting the "Correspondence Course Review" thread (back in September 25, 2011!). That was the thread that first got me involved in this forum.

atmahan

priormissioncommander

None
I also just got my letter telling me that I will hit 20 this year and that I will get my Retirement Papers soon! (if I send in the response to the letter by the end of next month).

Thanks to All for the conversations and info on this forum.

Special Thanks to vxc961 for starting the "Correspondence Course Review" thread (back in September 25, 2011!). That was the thread that first got me involved in this forum.

atmahan
Has anyone that has hit the 20 year mark, submitted the request for retirement, received the letter / certificate etc, been able to get a retired reserve ID card?

Brought my letter to a CAC ID appointment and was told I needed to have a CAC (which my last one expired in 2011), or a DD214 that has my end date being my retirement date. The DEERs representative said she had processed plenty of IRR retirements (which I strongly disagree with) and said my DD214 needed to have an end date proving I was processed out of the reserves.

After two separate phone calls to include one dead end, 40 minutes on the phone with an IRR counselor was told i need to fill out a SF 180 and submit to PERS 313 in order to get a DD 615 (Honorable Discharge from the IRR) form which then I would take to PSD and get a new ID card (retired reserve ID card). Does this sound right?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has anyone that has hit the 20 year mark, submitted the request for retirement, received the letter / certificate etc, been able to get a retired reserve ID card?

Brought my letter to a CAC ID appointment and was told I needed to have a CAC (which my last one expired in 2011), or a DD214 that has my end date being my retirement date. The DEERs representative said she had processed plenty of IRR retirements (which I strongly disagree with) and said my DD214 needed to have an end date proving I was processed out of the reserves.

After two separate phone calls to include one dead end, 40 minutes on the phone with an IRR counselor was told i need to fill out a SF 180 and submit to PERS 313 in order to get a DD 615 (Honorable Discharge from the IRR) form which then I would take to PSD and get a new ID card (retired reserve ID card). Does this sound right?
Is it that much different from the IRR? I have been through it all but I retired from SELRES. Actual retirement and new ID went without a hitch. Applying for retired pay after I turned 60 was more challenging. Totally worth it though. You don't get a pension and medical from any other part time job I know of.

priormissioncommander

None
Is it that much different from the IRR? I have been through it all but I retired from SELRES. Actual retirement and new ID went without a hitch. Applying for retired pay after I turned 60 was more challenging. Totally worth it though. You don't get a pension and medical from any other part time job I know of.

What paperwork did you need in order to retire from SELRES?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't recall form numbers. I needed the point capture sheet that shows all annual drill points to confirm Sat years. Since I was drilling I went to PSD at the Reserve Center (Operational whatever, now) and they pushed a couple forms over to me to sign. Piece of pie.

...Come to think of it, I wasn't really SELRES at the actual time of retirement. I was in the VTU for the last few months, so was technically IRR. Didn't have to jump through any of the hoops you mention. @Gatordev might have insight on this.

priormissioncommander

None
Showed the DEERs / CAC ID person my point capture and letter titled "Retirement Order and Transfer to the Retired Reserve". The memo apparently was not enough.

Starting to think she did not know what she was talking about. Since I served greater then 8 years on active duty I never owed any additional reserve time (e.g. she said I had to have the section of my DD214 filled out that listed my retirement date in the "end of obligated reserve time") DD214 is only for active service from what I understand.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Showed the DEERs / CAC ID person my point capture and letter titled "Retirement Order and Transfer to the Retired Reserve". The memo apparently was not enough.

Starting to think she did not know what she was talking about. Since I served greater then 8 years on active duty I never owed any additional reserve time (e.g. she said I had to have the section of my DD214 filled out that listed my retirement date in the "end of obligated reserve time") DD214 is only for active service from what I understand.
Yup. Doesn't seem right at all. I too had 8 active and that was back when 6 was the MSO. I have two DD214s. One for AOCS and the one issued on retirement. Call PERS or find someone else to talk to. With the point capture letter if should be easy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Maybe try another CAC office if there is one nearby.