• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

Sorry... It's a pretty decent deal. By statute, an O-4 gets kicked out 20 years after his/her date of commissioning. Well, to prevent the inevitable lawsuits or bad feelings or raw deals, once you make it to 18 "good/satisfactory" reserve years, if they haven't kicked you out yet, they'll give you three years to get your remaining two.

It's a bit more complicated, but basically if you have two bad years *but* you can make it to 18 years, the Navy will let you get your last two years. I infer that they review folks records monthly, and send out the letter a bit after the commissioning date. If you have any enlisted time it gets a bit more complicated (I have 19 months), but basically it only helps you.

Just went point complete on year 18. Year 19 starts in January, 2018...good grief...so, so, close...but yet so far.
Congratulations! I looked up the statute, tried calling PERS several times, and finally got a civilian who said "look...if you can make it to 18 years, you're GOOOOD! Once you get to 18, you can get to 20 and retire. So if you're looking at things now and you'll get to 17 years and 10 months, forget it! But if you can get to 18, you can get to 20!"

Anyway, I know you feel! At this point, as March closes, I find myself saying "wow, I've only got one more March in the reserves..."

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These days when you get to 60 and request your retirement pay it will take over 6 months. They are way backed up.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These days when you get to 60 and request your retirement pay it will take over 6 months. They are way backed up.

You have to request it?! I thought it was automatic.

P.S. You're old! :D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have to request it?! I thought it was automatic.

P.S. You're old! :D
Yup. More paperwork. Have to verify your points total and good years all over. Yes they have that info. Yes when you retired you verified all that. Yes you have to do it all over again. I will say the people I spoke with on the phone were great.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Recently finished up the year - another maximum 130 points. Every year gets more and more painful. Had one course I worked on for days, got frustrated and hoped for the best - ended up with a non-passing 69. Only way to describe it... But back on the horse for another course...

2 more years until HYT - not sure if I will be able to max out but gonna try. In the end it will be all worth it. For those who may have missed it, the formula for calculating a reserve retirement is Point Total / 360 * 0.025 * Base Pay. Good luck everyone.

Just got my letter today, and I'm psyched!

SUBJ: YOUR STATUS IN THE NAVY RESERVE
Encl: (1) Retirement Request form

1. Per ref (a) [the letter they sent saying that with my two bad years, they'd give me three years to get two good years], blah blah, "we've reviewed your record and you have now earned enough retirment points to be credited with 20 years of qualifying service in August, 2018. Accordingly, your separation from the Navy Reserve will be required on 01 Sept 2018.

2. [fill out he form to request retirement, if you do it early we'll have it ready by the time you retire]

3. The order-issuing authroity is directed to remove VXC from his unit assignment and terminate any orders which my in effect not later that 31 Aug 2018.

4. [contact PERS for questions]

As of this second, I have 35 points, so I'll feel a lot safer once I'm at 50, but I'm still psyched.

subreservist

Happy for you, vxc! I'm sure you're ready to hang it up, but I'd love to see you make O5 on this upcoming board and throw a monkey wrench into all of it!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just got the letter confirming the check's in the mail. I didn't apply for pay for about 3 or 4 after turning 60. Then, it got kicked back to me. Finally, after about 12 months total, approval! Looking for the first deposit. Will be nice with the back pay.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, the whole deal with every 90+ days on active duty is 90+ days earlier your retired pay kicks in...since it has to be 90 days within the same FY, is there anywhere that's laid out? How do you calculate that, and how do you document that for when you request pay? I've done a fairly significant amount of time on mob and ADSW.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, the whole deal with every 90+ days on active duty is 90+ days earlier your retired pay kicks in...since it has to be 90 days within the same FY, is there anywhere that's laid out? How do you calculate that, and how do you document that for when you request pay? I've done a fairly significant amount of time on mob and ADSW.

It's the 2008 and 2015 NDAA's, it was in 2008 they enacted the 90-day provision and 2015 allows the 90 days to cross FY's. This USAF page lays out what qualifies and what doesn't pretty well (MOB's and most ADSW's both count) while this Navy page talks about the 2008 and 2015 NDAA's. Important note, medical still kicks in at age 60 for everyone.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's the 2008 and 2015 NDAA's, it was in 2008 they enacted the 90-day provision and 2015 allows the 90 days to cross FY's. This USAF page lays out what qualifies and what doesn't pretty well (MOB's and most ADSW's both count) while this Navy page talks about the 2008 and 2015 NDAA's. Important note, medical still kicks in at age 60 for everyone.

No, sorry, what I meant is, where is "CDR Fester did 180 days in this FY and 270 days in that FY," etc. laid out? APR/ASOSH doesn't break out by FY and I can't find it anywhere else on BOL. I presume that when I apply for retirement pay to start earlier than age 60, I have to document all of that myself. So what documentation to they want/accept?

I didn't know that about medical. Good to know.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, sorry, what I meant is, where is "CDR Fester did 180 days in this FY and 270 days in that FY," etc. laid out? APR/ASOSH doesn't break out by FY and I can't find it anywhere else on BOL. I presume that when I apply for retirement pay to start earlier than age 60, I have to document all of that myself. So what documentation to they want/accept?

I think it is supposed to be tracked by PERS and they would have to be the ones that answer that question. PERS being what it is though I have copies of everything to include my orders saying what US Code I was activated under (off the top of my head I am not sure my DD-214's have the Code noted on them, don't have one handy to check) just in case they want to dispute any of it. My orders are in my online record too if they bother to check.

It's a good question though, I know plenty of folks who qualify for earlier retirement but I don't know any off the top of my head who have reached their reduced retirement age yet.

Last edited: