• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

SELRES_AMDO

It seems to me that some managers at DoD GS jobs feel like they have more leeway to object to an employee's reserve duties because their civilian job is also in a military branch. That's not what the law says, but I've noticed that attitude (also that of a dick swinging competition b/w who deserves your manpower more--civilian DoD location or guard/reserves unit).
Some GS employees also think their grade is a rank that they can use when they hassle reservists. Can't count the number of GS-14/15's I work with that tell me their equivalent to a CDR or CAPT and that gives them the right to task me when I'm on orders.

My old boss was convinced that he warranted the same customs and courtesies of an O-6 because he was a GS-15. He never spent a day in uniform but somehow thought he was equal to the O-6 in the front office.

taxi1

pilot
I know a lot of AMDO and AEDO DCOs who are GS employees. Its worked great when it works well.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Do any of you file complaints for this stuff? If not, why? Why allow yourselves to be treated like this, especially by some government employee who could get into a lot of trouble for these shenanigans.

Sounds ripe for an IG which could be substantiated if submitted properly with documentation.

I worked at a COCOM as a contractor for a short while and saw an SES get knocked off of their hight horse. Said SES was within their 1-year "SES Probation" period. Someone filed an IG because the SES was an abusive and toxic turd. IG was substantiated (I FOIA'd it). Said SES was then demoted back to GS-15 and now is in their terminal pay grade and job location pretty much for the remainder of their career.

Last edited:

SELRES_AMDO

I've thought about it and even considered filing a complaint when I was getting hassled for not answering emails and doing work. Never mind that I was on a test range in the middle of a desert with no way to do the work without blowing off my reserve work.

Problem is I have to work with these people. At the time It seemed like career suicide to file a complaint. Now that I left the office i wish I followed through with it. I imagine a lot of people (myself included) fear retaliation.

I recently took active duty orders and was just informed my position won't be waiting for me when I get off. I'll be getting reassigned. I figured that would be the case. I was planning on leaving anyways so I don't really care. I knew it was coming and they would be pissed at me.

Last edited:

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I recently took active duty orders and was just informed my position won't be waiting for me when I get off. I'll be getting reassigned. I figured that would be the case. I was planning on leaving anyways so I don't really care. I knew it was coming and they would be pissed at me.
File the complaint. F*ck these turds.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I mean... complaints go to the HR file cabinet. If you really want to make waves, get a lawyer.
The OP works for the government and would file an IG complaint. IG complains are investigated. This isn't some nonsense thing that will get ignored, I assure you, especially when the allegations are against a government employee who should know better.

If this involves a private company you file the complaint with the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR). The thing with all of this is that you have to document and document heavily. Contemporaneous notes. Keep a log file. Date, Time, event. Who, what, when, etc. Include attachments, emails, chats, etc.

If I could, as an O3, be instrumental in having an USNA football player/O6 Pilot removed from Reserve Command, you all can take care of this kind of nonsense.

Last edited:

SELRES_AMDO

I have to do more research before I decide to act. Do I have a leg to stand on if they give me a job back? From what I was told, as long as they give me a job paying me my same GS grade then they are fine.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USERRA is your friend. If anything call up the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve. They will tell you the rules for free.
It blew my mind the first time I learned that the most habitual USERRA violator is actually the Federal government itself.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
It blew my mind the first time I learned that the most habitual USERRA violator is actually the Federal government itself.
Which baffles me because the IG would eat this stuff up and something would actually happen to the offenders, unlike in the private sector.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
As a GS, I've found that if you push back managers almost always back off. I've filed complaints and while it may feel like you're marked to be passed over etc. the reality is you're marked as the guy they don't want to f*ck with.

My command has been great, but I work under a civ + mil department head and a real chain of command. I've found orgs with legit mil department heads not only treat their civ guys well, you get a bit more leeway being a commissioned reservist.

I do know some folks who work for a DoD org up in Maryland that is almost entirely civ ran except for a token mil department head (O-6 billet) and they're quite toxic. It seems the difference is if you've got actual mil leadership or its a bunch of civ's who most likely never served outside of their GS desk riding.

My old boss was convinced that he warranted the same customs and courtesies of an O-6 because he was a GS-15. He never spent a day in uniform but somehow thought he was equal to the O-6 in the front office.

I wish a GS-15 would pull that with me, I'd go right to his/her mil counterpart make sure they were educated. No GS can give a military member a lawful order. That's why .. well from my 10ish years as a GS I've always had civilian supervisors with military counterparts who had the final say.

One last thing ..

As a GS the "proper" route would be to go to your supervisor, you need to re-organize your DPMAP elements etc to facilitate proper job performance and your reserve duties. If you're meeting your DPMAP elements then they can't do a single thing. If you need to re-write them do so and remember to give yourself leeway. Don't put down 99.9% of "Metric A", go for 90% instead so you've built in some realistic leeway.

If your supervisor is the one giving you trouble, you'd want to reach out to HR for arbitration, you can also check TWMS and see if you have a bargaining unit. The union would eat this stuff up! Just be sure to save emails, if you have a trustworthy co-worker just email them the results or any meetings etc. Then print them out - those are now official government documents.

Finally if your region HR won't help and the union isn't responding your main go-to is OPM. They have the absolute final say and more then likely there is some small gov agency just below OPM they'll refer you to who... will quickly remedy any issues. For example I had an issue with my PD's grading, went through the chain up to OPM who referred me to a DoD office who's only job is to review PD grading issues I had never heard of. Within a week my PD was re-graded at the correct level.

Once the dust settles as aforementioned you'll simply be the guy management knows never to f*ck with.

Last edited:

SELRES_AMDO

I do know some folks who work for a DoD org up in Maryland that is almost entirely civ ran except for a token mil department head (O-6 billet) and they're quite toxic. It seems the difference is if you've got actual mil leadership or its a bunch of civ's who most likely never served outside of their GS desk riding.
Excellent post. Thanks for the help.

What you stated regarding entirely Civ run organizations is spot on in my experience. I spent 7 years in two different orgs that were all civilian with no military except. Totally toxic environments that the senior leaders viewed as their own personal kingdom to do as they please. I'd rather go back to being an E-3 than work in those places again.