• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Criminal history reporting to the recruiter?

alawson.223

Greetings AW,

Long story short, I was convicted of possession of drug paraphernalia and it was subsequently dropped. I have no record but I am aware this would come up in processing for the military, especially as an officer.

Would I have to get a waiver for this even though I do not have a record? I never thought I'd have to ask about waivers so I dont know much about this process.

Thanks

MGoBrew11

pilot

It's probably one of those delayed conviction programs...

You plead guilty, the judge says you're not actually convicted unless you mess up during a probationary period. I got this for an MIP (alcohol).

You're definitely going to have to report it to your recruiter and on your security clearance because it will definitely pop up...just be honest and hope that it works out.

alawson.223

Yes in Texas its called deferred disposition. I received a 200 dollar fine and served 30 days of unsupervised probation. What is taken into account when seeking a waiver for a drug offense? From reading other threads it seems as long as youre not an addict, the offense did not occur within the last year, and youre not convicted of it again, you should be able to get a waiver without much incident.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Yes in Texas its called deferred disposition. I received a 200 dollar fine and served 30 days of unsupervised probation. What is taken into account when seeking a waiver for a drug offense? From reading other threads it seems as long as youre not an addict, the offense did not occur within the last year, and youre not convicted of it again, you should be able to get a waiver without much incident.

You'd have to ask your recruiter for specifics...depends on a few things I think.

I know the MIP became a non-issue. I was really freaked out about it but in the end it did not even require a waiver because it had occurred so long ago. Like your deal, it was also not technically a conviction. Granted, it was alcohol, not drugs, but things might work out the same for you.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Waiver or not, it becomes part of your competitive profile. Certainly can't say what the affect would be, but as a general rule, if there was just one spot open and the guy competing with you has a similar package as yours, but for the brush with the law, it will usually go to the guy who stayed out of trouble. But hey, there isn't likely to be just one spot left or another guy with an app identical to yours. There are lots of variables. Be honest. Let the chips fall where they may. In the end you will have your integrity. That is more important than a Navy commission.

exNavyOffRec

How long ago was this, but odds are you will not get picked up, but apply and see what happens.

You will have to write statements, police record checks, etc... remember the federal government finds everything.

I had a person that had the same issue at age 18, served 4 yrs AD USN, then went reserves, 3.9 GPA, 60's OAR, EP's from reserve unit, outstanding LOR's and he was not picked up and it had been nearly 10 years since the issue, and this was when SWO was taking everyone.

Anything other than minor drug use is like a big flashing red light on your application saying "round file me"

alawson.223

This occurred in April of this year. My plans for applying have been halted due to financial issues and honestly I'm just not ready yet. Regardless, whenever I do start again I'd have three semesters left. Being a Naval Aviator seems like the ultimate job for me, hell its my last reason for going to college, but if this incident kills that dream then I'd just have to deal with it.

exNavyOffRec

This occurred in April of this year. My plans for applying have been halted due to financial issues and honestly I'm just not ready yet. Regardless, whenever I do start again I'd have three semesters left. Being a Naval Aviator seems like the ultimate job for me, hell its my last reason for going to college, but if this incident kills that dream then I'd just have to deal with it.

April? yeah your odds are very slim, and you will have to do a psych eval thanks to MEPS new rules.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Answer the questions asked on your application. I don't remember how the questions are phrased, but if they ask you if you've been convicted you can say no. However, you are asked if you've ever been arrested or used drugs, and you will have to admit to that.

Something also to consider: Unfortunately for you, the legal technicalities that allow you to say you have no record are actually seen by many employers during a background check, especially civil service jobs. You can't plead guilty to a felony or misdemeanor and expect it to disappear. It's going to follow you the rest of your life. A good defense attorney would recognize this and work to reduce the charges rather than give you the false feeling that they never happened through some legal hocus-pocus, but sometimes that's not possible and it's too late for that now, anyway.

I don't know why you decided to use drugs when you had to at least be thinking about applying for a commission in April and had to know about the military's zero-tolerance drug policy (additionally, many private companies have a similar zero-tolerance policy for their employees). "This incident" didn't kill your dream; you killed your dream, and you significantly affected your ability to be employed after college. It's a different story when you can say this happened several years ago as a teenager and you can demonstrate that you've learned your lesson, but doing this in your young 20's as you're about to enter the workplace is significantly more detrimental to your career goals, whatever they might be. On top of that, you lack ownership of your actions when you blame "this incident" rather than yourself for your situation.

MasterBates

Drugs years ago is different than five months ago.

Also, shit that would be waiverable years ago is all but an automatic DQ now.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2