• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Creatine & protein supplements @ MEPS warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
I read a post about Creatine and MEPS a while ago on this board and thought I'd share my own experience with it...

I take Creatine when I lift and I supplement my calorie intake with protein powder.

I went to MEPS a week ago. I wrote down Creatine on the medical history where it asked if I was taking any medications, drugs, or any substances to improve attention, behavior, or physical performance. Nobody cared that I was taking Creatine. The only people that said anything just said I couldn't use it at OCS or TBS.

But when I did my "whiz quiz" my piss got flagged for "too much protein." They said that 9 out of 10 times its because the person simply has too much protein in their body. They also said the only reason why it got flagged was because drug users sometimes use protein to trick the test.

Creatine at MEPS is not a problem, only a hassle. If I could go back I'd get off Creatine and the other supplements at least a couple weeks prior to MEPS. Just tryin to help others avoid the headache...

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
Personally, I would not suggest creatine. Yes, it will make you "huge," but it dehydrates your muscles (At least that is what I have been informed) I would suggest taking protien supplements, and eating lots of calories, that;s about it. Someone let me know if they think i'm wrong. (even though i know you would anyways :) )

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
yukon180 said:
The only people that said anything just said I couldn't use it at OCS or TBS.

half true. can't at OCS, ok at TBS.

creatine

My experience with creatine is that its beneficial if you use the correct amount. You want to use about .03 grams per lb you weigh; which is much less than what they tell you on the package. This small amount will aid in workout recovery without making your muscles bloated and full of water. I take protein and creatine and neither showed up in MEPS or my flight phys.

note: The banning of creatine @ OCS and TBS seems to make sense being how people inappropriately take it and you will definately get dehydrated and pass out if your not careful with all the cardio.

openbah

SoICanBeFree said:
I take protein and creatine and neither showed up in MEPS or my flight phys.

I don't really know why it showed up during my exam. I talked to other guys at MEPS who said they did the same supplements I did, but their tests went smooth.

I just thought I'd give a warning to other looking to avoid red flags at MEPS.

VAmookie

maybe just dont get it on before you go to MEPS. when i got my dodmerb physical i got flagged for protein but was not on suppliments... the doc said when i come back next time not to engange in any 'activity'... too bad for the special lady friend

openbah

You know, I had a kid sitting next to me in the waiting room say the exact same thing, yet nobody at MEPS told me that.

DimndDave14

Actually creatine does not technically dehydrate your muscles. The swelling you receive from taking creatine is excess water being retained in the muscles. The excess water in the muscles helps feed the muscles by bring protein and carbohydrates to them (that’s why they tell you take a serving in the morning and after a workout, the most critical times for the muscles to be feed). Since you are using what ever water your body can scrounge up to pump it into your muscles people that do not drink about a gallon or more of water on top of their normal intake can experience dehydration.
Using creatine gives you "more endurance" so you will see people using to build muscle and while also loosing weight. The reason why I think that it is and should be banned in OCS is because first it is not FDA approved and other side effects that have not been scientifically proven yet. Also it gives you a false sense of what your body can do. For example when you cycle off creatine for about a week you can tell a difference in your workouts that it takes more out of you to do the same workout that you completed while on creatine.
Lastly if you use creatine for an extended period of time your body will actually stop producing its own creatine, because your body will sense the extra creatine in the body and figures hey I am getting enough from some where else so Ill stop making it (hence that’s why they tell you to use cycles when using any type performance enhancing products).
That is my input, but you can ask any professional trainer or doctor about their ideas behind creatine and come up with your own conclusions.

Kolja

Git-r-done
Two recommendations -

Don't load. Studies have proven that there is precious little difference in atheletes who follow the loading dose and those that just start out with the "maintenance" dose. Loading just makes you use it up faster and buy more.

Cycle off it periodically. I've had good results going 2-3 months on, 6 weeks or so off. Been doing it for years with no problems from it and from reading many of the studies I'm satisfied with its safety.

Drink a lot of water, which you ought to be doing anyway.

As far as whatever school allows and whatever one doesn't, best to follow the rules as it's not really worth getting caught breaking rules no matter how inane. Personally, it sounds a bit like half-cocked knee jerking, much like the ephedra thing (which I also used for years with no ill effect until somene with a history of heart problems took some, wrapped himself in a rubber suit, and died - then Congress decided I couldn't use it anymore...)

openbah

feddoc said:
Creatine, along with Amino Acid supplements, is not allowed per the waiver guide.

Thanks for the find. The policy reads: "there are several questions about performance gains and safety that preclude [creatine] being authorized for general use in aircrew." Doesn't that mean creatine users who are applying for OCS shouldn't worry about having it in their system?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
If I were in OCS, I wouldn't worry about it being in my system.

I posted the info in reference to aircrew who read this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.