• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crazy Approach/Landing

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Hey all. Don't know if this has been posted before (a quick search turned up nothing), but this is a pretty crazy landing in (apparently) Honduras. Anyone ever been there?

I'm with ya BS. I found that to be fairly exciting as well. More so the approach than anything...180 turn to short final, shallow approach and he looked like what 50-100' all the way on final as the terrain sloped down to the runway. Looks like a pretty exciting place to stand too! You don't normally see many of the airliners operating that way, the vast majority of most approaches are relatively benign. I'm not "worldly" enough to know how things normally happen outside my bubble, so anything not the norm is interesting to me.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
You sure about those numbers? The KC-10s 11-2KC10 vol 3 (AF Natops without the lee way) says our min runway length for both T/O and landing is 7000', and the AF is known to pad the numbers by a bit.

At quagmire we'd use the 7000' 18/36 regularly.

Maybe something to do with assumptions during flight testing...(hard wheel braking vs. moderate etc...)

Could be also that the two airframes, despite being pretty similar operate at different GW?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Used to fly into Toncontin frequently 20-30 yrs ago. At least the planes were smaller then. I can't imagine AA taking a 757 in there. Also have been to Roatan Island once. If any of you are into remote, secluded vacations, you don't have to go to Bora Bora. Roatan is beautiful (former home of Henry Morgan, the Buccaneer) and is about 700 miles south of New Orleans. If you want to get away from the crowds, I recommend it. When I left active duty, I went into int'l banking. My first loan was for a La.-built shrimping boat for a buyer in Roatan. The buyer's bank was based in Tegucigalpa, so they flew me out to Roatan in a Cessna twin they owned. Let me tell you guys (as if you didn't already know), the Honduran coast & NE parts of the country have changed little since Pirates plied those waters. Just google "Roatan Island" to learn more about this exotic, uncrowded & close place.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Words about Roatan Island

I think I just found my next vacation spot...

Having lived in the Carribbean for a while and seen a good portion of the Central and South American coast, that area is a great place to vacation. Anyone and everyone should go if given the chance.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
I forgot about this thread, I had a blast when I went back to Roatan in December. It has grown a lot since I first went there in 2001. Property values have skyrocketed, my parents regret not buying property there a few years ago. It has taken away some of the rustic charm but it's still amazing.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
You sure about those numbers? The KC-10s 11-2KC10 vol 3 (AF Natops without the lee way) says our min runway length for both T/O and landing is 7000', and the AF is known to pad the numbers by a bit.

At quagmire we'd use the 7000' 18/36 regularly.

Took the numbers straight out of our FOM (Ops Manual)... My first A-300 landing out of IOE (Initial Operating Experience) was at KSNA (5701 x 150 ft):eek: