• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crazy Approach/Landing

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
How bout a little more right rudder on the (first)flare there big guy? That runway looks like it's only about 3500 ft long!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It's the correct approach and landing for the runway ... looks like he did a good job as well .... even if it is .... *gasp* .... AA :eek:

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was thinking the same thing....

Maybe not Crazy. A bit "atypical" would be a good euphemism. Sh!t-inducing to the pax. How about that? Did he land a bit short of the threshold? Otherwise an excellent landing!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Sh!t-inducing to the pax. ...
Which is why ... over the years ... I came to appreciate flying freight more and more and more and more and .... and .... :sleep_125

Most passengers are fools. It's what happens when you walk through screening. And you thought those were "x-ray" machines ... ????

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Can you hear the collective inrush of breath from all of the shocked Airwarriors members????:D Jobo....I mean bogey spotter...I mean... didn't know what he was talking about? What!??:D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Looks as though he landed a bit short of the threshold, did he not? Otherwise an excellent landing!
I see what you are saying .... displaced threshold markings (?) and all .... but the airport is @ 3300' ASL and only @ 6000' long .... he looked right on the numbers for all practical purposes. It's a toughie ... but there's lots of others around the world.

Were I flying it ... I would try to emulate his approach & landing ... even if it was ... AA :eek:

Please discount the audio. And please refer to my passenger comment (above). :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
wow... skills

I've seen still shots of planes shooting that approach but that was amazing

How so? Just because you don't see airliners flying a normal VFR traffic pattern (which that approach looked an awfully lot like) doesn't mean that it's an amazing feat of piloting.

Brett

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
How so? Just because you don't see airliners flying a normal VFR traffic pattern (which that approach looked an awfully lot like) doesn't mean that it's an amazing feat of piloting.

Brett

Well, to Naval Aviators it might seem trivial.. but to a wannabe who hasn't piloted anything above a piper arrow its pretty sick

Some info / pics

http://www.airliners.net/articles/read.main?id=8

"The runway has a “displaced threshold” leaving only 5,436 ft (1657 m) of useable landing runway. That short runway, coupled with a 1.06 degree downhill slope on runway 01, allows for little braking time." (from another site)

edit-

well I was just doing some googling and apparently thats plenty to land a 757 in (throwing regulations out), and I remember people talking about landing 777's at Meigs in the simulators... so I guess it looks cooler than it actually is

my mistake

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
For me, the "craziest" looking part of this, is just the proximity to the rocky hills and trees of the approach. I am sure this is just a regular landing to the veteran pilots, but it's always interesting to see that kind of banking that close to the ground in such a big plane.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
...well I was just doing some googling and apparently thats plenty to land a 757 in (throwing regulations out),....
I can assure you that AA is not "throwing regulations out". If they can't land within the U.S. (since they are U.S. registered) AND the Honduran regulations, than they would not be flying into there.

Major airlines do not just "throw regulations out". Not if they want to keep their operating certificates. The FAA won't let them and the pilot's won't do it.