• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crane Collapse Destroys Skyhawk

CAMike

None
Contributor
"It's disappointing- it's a setback" -Are you kidding? They damaged/destroyed a piece of military history in the middle of hippy land.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
It didn't look like that is a writeoff for it, unlike the Fortress in IL.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That really hurts to see... as are the other warbird losses this week.

But fortunately there is another Skyhawk on a stick a mile or two away at Encinal High School in Alameda.

How many high schools are lucky enough to have a 'Scooter" out front?
Oh yeah, their teams are called, the "Jets" too.
[Disclaimer - my son has a connection to this school.]

45989266.jpg

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Wow what a bummer, especially if you were one of the guys who put in the work to restore it. Hopefully there's a crane company who will be helping get that bird back in shape.

As a side note to Catmando: no other high schools that I could find had an A-4. There's an A-7 in Ohio, a T-28 out front of Milton High School, and an F-4 Phantom out front of what I think is a high school in Israel.

brownshoe

Contributor
Hey no problem! Just go rob the "hangar queen". Oh shit! Wait...

All kidding aside, what a damn shame.

Steve

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's only a flesh wound. It's not like the B-17, they should be able to repair it. I certainty wouldn't trust the two crane operators again.

-ea6bflyr ;)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Lot of mass on a very long moment arm. Someone could have used more physics in high school!

Nice.

Tim C

Old Fart
The guy that was reported as a "leader of the restoration crew"...left "the team" after the incident...he was never out for the aircraft...he was only out for the glory! How do i know do you ask? I was there the whole time during the restoration, after the restoration and worked my ass off to get the aircraft repairs (airworthy repairs) complete before the end of 2011.
I am happy to report that the Jet is now restored to perfection and mounted once again to the pylon at NAS Alameda's main Gate. It took 2 months 26 days and was remounted 20 Dec 2011 without the help of "the leader". I have to say he was more of a hindrance than help...I have a lot of experience in military aircraft and to have this Jet restored to the level is amazing! you will not find a better restoration for a display airframe in this country!I did this for all the Vets that served!
Also i wanted to say that this is an A4D-1 built in Apr 1957 and is painted as it was back then out of the factory. It was on 1 WestPac 1958 USS Shangri-La a proud member of the flt demo team "albino Angels" (This is the markings to the exact modex # )

Attachments

• A-4 142200 28Dec11.4.jpg
    A-4 142200 28Dec11.4.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 65