• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CP scholarship and school transfers

mike172

GO NAVY
If I am a CP who as picked up scholarship and I decide to change schools, does my scholarship transfer to the new Unit? Would I have to reapply again does anyone have any information on how that would work? I can't find anything on the NROTC website. Thanks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You would have to coordinate w/ your unit and the new one. I don't really remember the details, but both the new school and the new unit have to have room for you. That might not be a big deal if it's a big state school, but other schools might give you the business. I also would guess that it has to be in the Navy's best interest. For example, if you're transferring from some two-bit, second-rate, football losing state school like FSU to MIT, it would probably cause some issues since the tuition will be much higher.

Standard disclaimer, I'm not "in the system" and it's been a long time since I worked the ROTC stuff.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like GATORDEV said, you need to work with your class advisor/instructor along with the new unit's admission's officer. Have you been accepted to the other school? Will the credits you have transfer? Will the transfer adversly affect your graduation date? (Just a few questions I'd as when I was a NROTC instructor)

Typically they do not let you transfer scholarships unless it's some type of hardship, etc, but never say never.

Why are you looking to transfer to another unit?

-ea6bflyr ;)

clonei09

I know that there is a cp kid in my unit who transfered to my unit from another one. Somwhere during that he picked up a scholarship so I dont know if it was because of the transfer or not. He told me that he had the two units just get into contact with each other and they worked it out at the unit level without having to contact pensacola

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Like Gator mentioned it might be a money issue. I've only ever known two people who have transfered scholarships. One left my old NROTC unit for the Academy (why? beats the hell out of me) and another came from an out of state school and transfered in state to be able to deal with some family issues more effectively. With the Academy, I don't think there was much, if any coordination between the staffs at the two schools. In the other case, my understanding of the situation was that the unit staffs were able to work out the swap but did ultimately have to go through CNET or NETC or whatever the hell it is now.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
When I was looking at going back to UT and also looking at Texas A&M my command said there would be little trouble getting the paperwork to go through if I decided to go through with the transfer. I decided not to, but I was a phone call away from going through with it.

I know that it would have to be 'approved' by CNET, but when I was going through the transfer process as long as I was accepted to the school I was transferring to, and the new unit had room the 'approval' process was almost automatic.

mike172

GO NAVY
Like GATORDEV said, you need to work with your class advisor/instructor along with the new unit's admission's officer. Have you been accepted to the other school? Will the credits you have transfer? Will the transfer adversly affect your graduation date? (Just a few questions I'd as when I was a NROTC instructor)

Typically they do not let you transfer scholarships unless it's some type of hardship, etc, but never say never.

Why are you looking to transfer to another unit?

-ea6bflyr ;)

I love my unit. My unit is why I want to stay where I am. The unit is not why I want to transfer.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Your best bet is to transfer before getting a scholarship. I transferred as a CP, and it was as easy as DORing from one unit and starting fresh at a new one. For me, I transferred with a mediocre GPA and spanked out a very good one the next semester. My old GPA was erased and I went in with my current one and got a scholarship.

If you're looking to transfer on scholarship, it needs to get processed through Pcola (I believe it goes there?), and sometimes it won't get approved.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
When I was looking at going back to UT and also looking at Texas A&M my command said there would be little trouble getting the paperwork to go through if I decided to go through with the transfer. I decided not to, but I was a phone call away from going through with it.

I know that it would have to be 'approved' by CNET, but when I was going through the transfer process as long as I was accepted to the school I was transferring to, and the new unit had room the 'approval' process was almost automatic.

And you chose to stay in NEW MEXICO??!?!?!?! :confused:

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
And you chose to stay in NEW MEXICO??!?!?!?! :confused:

Trust me, EVERY day a big part of me wishes I hadn't made the decision to stay here. But there was more to my decision than hanging out on 6th and chasing women.

mike172

GO NAVY
if you pick up a 2 year instead of 3 year are you still required to have 2 semesters calc and 2 semesters physics or does that no longer apply?

war eagle

as far as the money thing goes... a friend of mine here at auburn transfered to vanderbilt after our freshman year and his scholarship transfered just fine. and vandy is about $22,000 more per year than auburn is.

disclaimer: that was 4 years ago... good luck with whatever you decide.

mike172

GO NAVY
I am not transfering until the fall sememster of 08. I am sticking where I am this spring semester. So I will probably get on scholarship where I currently am, or so I'm told. So once I am accepted and I make a decsion do I just go tell my adviser whatsup?

navy09

None
if you pick up a 2 year instead of 3 year are you still required to have 2 semesters calc and 2 semesters physics or does that no longer apply?

Everyone on scholarship must complete two semesters of each.

As far as trying to transfer, there's a chance that telling them that you want to leave the unit would hurt your chances of picking up a scholarship, so be careful how you play that. On the other hand, they could be really open to working with you and want to get you a scholarship regardless- you kind of have to figure that out for yourself.

mike172

GO NAVY
I am going to revive/jack my own thread.

As a college programmer, If I were to get a 3 yr scholarship, and then decide after a year that I did not want to do NROTC would i be obliged to repay the money. I am trying to draw a comparison to the 4yr guys where they can participate for a year and say naaa peace, leave NROTC and have no penalty.

Any thoughts? thanks.