• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The protest rallies make part of me smile that so many people are participating in a free society (some of the state and local governments have done arbitrary stuff that I find detestable- or worse),
I’m honestly fishing for a reason why Michigan’s governor declared plant seeds nonessential. You know, the things you put in the ground that become food? That then keeps you from needing to spend as much time at the grocery store? Because you already have food? Seriously . . .

taxi1

pilot
I’m honestly fishing for a reason why Michigan’s governor declared plant seeds nonessential. You know, the things you put in the ground that become food? That then keeps you from needing to spend as much time at the grocery store? Because you already have food? Seriously . . .
Yup

Our big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot) are open, so I think anybody selling anything you can buy in those stores should be able to be open. They're not in PA (nurseries, for example).

exNavyOffRec

I wonder what would happen if a person just grabbed the seeds and used self checkout?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Exactly! I just don't see a point to it. And they did it by first declaring the small shops nonessential, then they told the big stores over a certain square footage that they had to rope off sections of their stores (although they could still sell the seeds by moving them to not roped off sections). It's all very bizarre and illogical.

Osceola County FL declared that everyone had to wear a face mask in public if they're within a certain distance of another person. Fair enough at first glance, but they went through the trouble to make the details include you should wear one of those half-assed homemade masks made from an old T-shirt (the ones that are about 2% effective) because the good kind of masks are reserved for health care workers. Aaaaand the threat of $500 fine or 60 days in jail. So what about a guy like me who has a few N95 masks in my garage from a home project from ten years ago? A couple days later they backpedaled on the fines and jail part (ya think?).

It's crap like that that makes my first instinct to support the protesters just on principle. A certain few officials in this country, both elected and non elected, ought to go back to homeowners associations and blossom there.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Exactly! I just don't see a point to it. And they did it by first declaring the small shops nonessential, then they told the big stores over a certain square footage that they had to rope off sections of their stores (although they could still sell the seeds by moving them to not roped off sections). It's all very bizarre and illogical.

Osceola County FL declared that everyone had to wear a face mask in public if they're within a certain distance of another person. Fair enough at first glance, but they went through the trouble to make the details include you should wear one of those half-assed homemade masks made from an old T-shirt (the ones that are about 2% effective) because the good kind of masks are reserved for health care workers. Aaaaand the threat of $500 fine or 60 days in jail. So what about a guy like me who has a few N95 masks in my garage from a home project from ten years ago? A couple days later they backpedaled on the fines and jail part (ya think?).

It's crap like that that makes my first instinct to support the protesters just on principle. A certain few officials in this country, both elected and non elected, ought to go back to homeowners associations and blossom there.
Just don’t support the protests on Facebook

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2...-quarantine-protests-at-states-request-196143

UMichfly

pilot
None

She didn't. She enacted an executive order to limit the number of people milling around in Lowe's boredom shopping and spreading the virus. Read the EO here The actual, non-Fox News spun EO and you can see the section referring to closing carpet, furniture, paint, and garden centers is part of the stipulation on limiting occupancy of businesses (section 11). I have actually bought seeds, fertilizer, and a bunch of other things for my sweet quarantine garden in the past week.

While I do agree it seems arbitrary to anchor down on those four areas within the big box stores, I also can't think of a better solution to clamp down on the small subset of folks who lack the discipline to stay at home and stop spreading this shit. If you can think of a way to stop Karen and her 4 brats from aimlessly flipping through paint samples to pass the time while simultaneously allowing Home Depot to stay open so I can get a wax seal for my flooding toilet, I'm all ears and I'm sure Gov. Whitmer is too.

The faux outrage being stirred up nationwide by Fox and their ilk is doing nothing but undermining our ability as a nation to get ahead of this thing and start to rebuild/reopen.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/20/oil...res-in-focus-as-coronavirus-dents-demand.html

Oil has completely cratered. Once there is no more storage room for crude or refined products, the destruction will be complete. The next dominoes in the economy may not be gradual, but abrupt.

Remember “two weeks to flatten the curve?” How many weeks ago was that? Anyone looking forward to what happens in another month? Meanwhile we have hospitals furloughing employees, ventilators being produced that will never be needed, and the goalposts keep moving.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/20/oil...res-in-focus-as-coronavirus-dents-demand.html

Oil has completely cratered. Once there is no more storage room for crude or refined products, the destruction will be complete. The next dominoes in the economy may not be gradual, but abrupt.

Remember “two weeks to flatten the curve?” How many weeks ago was that? Anyone looking forward to what happens in another month? Meanwhile we have hospitals furloughing employees, ventilators being produced that will never be needed, and the goalposts keep moving.

I've been following it all day, from single digits down to -28. Historical for sure.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
She didn't. She enacted an executive order to limit the number of people milling around in Lowe's boredom shopping and spreading the virus. Read the EO here The actual, non-Fox News spun EO and you can see the section referring to closing carpet, furniture, paint, and garden centers is part of the stipulation on limiting occupancy of businesses (section 11). I have actually bought seeds, fertilizer, and a bunch of other things for my sweet quarantine garden in the past week.
Agree with you that the main point of that order was to keep people from needlessly droning around at the store, but the garden part is right there in black and white. It makes no sense for it to be in there at all.

The narrative of this story is that the small garden stores have been complaining since March that they were forced to close (which itself makes no sense).

I'm glad to hear that the reality right now is that you can get this stuff. I still think the Governor brought all this on herself... she's not alone though- a handful of her other 49 counterparts seem to be getting similar attention for some of the more bizarre results of their actions.

exNavyOffRec

I wonder if the strategic oil reserves are completely full as well?

SlickAg

pilot
So...the Director of the WHO (an agency of the UN) said today that the worst is yet to come:
"Trust us. The worst is yet ahead of us," Ghebreyesus said during a news briefing. "Let's prevent this tragedy. It's a virus that many people still don't understand."

Yet, the head of the United Nations said this:
"We must act now on each of these threats to our children," U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said. "Leaders must do everything in their power to cushion the impact of the pandemic. What started as a public health emergency has snowballed into a formidable test for the global promise to leave no one behind."

Sarcasm/ Pretty consistent messaging here /sarcasm.