• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
They must be focused on the highways, because many of the locals down here in St. Mary's county seem to be going about business as usual, and I've only seen 1-2 sheriff's vehicles in over a week.

I think I'm lucky I made it all the way from SD to Pax with a U-Haul trailer and didn't get stopped once.

The incident in question was MDSP on 95, so I think it was like shooting fish in a barrel. If the state is on a lock down there should be very little highway traffic so easier for them to just sit and stop people as they drive by. Locally I think it is a completely different story.

exNavyOffRec

The incident in question was MDSP on 95, so I think it was like shooting fish in a barrel. If the state is on a lock down there should be very little highway traffic so easier for them to just sit and stop people as they drive by. Locally I think it is a completely different story.
our state patrol was told to not pull people over and expose yourself unless they are suspected of DUI, or operating in a reckless or negligent manner.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You want things shut down? 'Cuz this is how you get shit shut down.

Police break up large Easter party...
"The officers were really just educating those at the party about the importance of social distancing... Many of those in attendance were young and we were trying to explain to them that while they may think they’re not at high risk for the virus, they can bring it home to their older family members."

I gotta give the Pensacola PD credit. For better or for worse, that's probably the wisest approach they could have taken with that situation. The neighborhood isn't exactly known for smooth cooperation between the residents and law enforcement (plenty of history and bitterness to go around on both sides of that relationship).

Mos

None
That's weird, pretty sure MDSP said they were only going to ask people their reason for being out if they were already stopped for something else. I think that's the better approach. There's enough people here donning their tin foil hats and calling the governor a dictator because of the lockdown, without the police pulling drivers over just to ask them what they're doing. The cop must've been bored.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I listened to this podcast on a walk today and found it very interesting. The talk about the constitutionality of things going on from a libertarian/small-government perspective.

https://www.cato.org/multimedia/events/coronavirus-constitution

Some highlights. Quarantines predate the constitution and are generally constitutional. But pulling someone over on I-95 for no other reason is probably not. A federal government quarantine of some states would be difficult. Maybe the president could order the military to physically block the interstate highways, but they couldn't arrest people. A governor could prevent people from coming into his/her state though.

Good luck getting to a court though.

The state of PA ordered that gun shops be closed and their supreme court upheld that restriction, but the governor changed his mind and reopened them.

CAMike

None
Contributor
That's weird, pretty sure MDSP said they were only going to ask people their reason for being out if they were already stopped for something else. I think that's the better approach. There's enough people here donning their tin foil hats and calling the governor a dictator because of the lockdown, without the police pulling drivers over just to ask them what they're doing. The cop must've been bored.

Maybe it his IH8COPS License plate?

SlickAg

pilot
My company has done the same thing, Critical Infrastructure. One of our contractors was pulled over on 95 and asked what he was doing. After telling the officer he was a contractor working for the utility he was still told to return home. Now we are sending letters to all our contractors to carry on their person so they can avoid this situation from happening again.
Have him show the cop this picture instead. Richard Grenell is the acting DNI; guess we know how he feels about all this.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The state of PA ordered that gun shops be closed and their supreme court upheld that restriction, but the governor changed his mind and reopened them.
AFAIK, not to derail the discussion, but the PA Supreme Court ruled on a procedural issue and sent it back down; they didn’t rule on the merits of the case one way or the other.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Ultimately, there are 2 ways out of this. Herd immunity or contact tracing.

To establish herd immunity, the easiest/best is a vaccine, but that will take at least a year to develop. The other way to get herd immunity is to just let the virus spread. I heard something like 50% of a population would need to get it. That would be something like a million dead Americans, assuming the health care system is able to keep up. It would be much higher if we demand more healthcare than we are able to deliver.

The other option is extensive testing and contract tracing. This presents extensive civil liberties issues though. Authoritarian regimes, like China, don't have to worry about this drawback though. They have instituted a bar code system to prove you have a low risk of having the virus. Apple and Google are working together to develop a system to uses Bluetooth to see you have come near and then inform those people if you test positive. The podcast I mentioned earlier brought up an interesting point that I hadn't noticed before. The US would be in an easier position to implement a solution to this than Europe. Even though we have greater constitutional protections, we have already given much of that data (and the permission to use that data in some ways) to companies. Europe has the GDPR which limits how companies use data.

We will need to give up some civil liberties to get the country and economy back working again. We just need to make sure we get them back when this whole thing is over.

How to balance the economy versus public health is a valid point place to argue. But a great economy is not the desired end state. An emotionally-fulfilling, free, (etc.) life with the people you want to be with is the desired endstate. A good economy is one of the methods to get there, but so is health.

I just wish the President cared more about that than appearing in front of cameras (and pushing some drug).

Pags

N/A
pilot
In the realm of people being good to each other...our school district has been having meal sites for kids who depend on school meals but they were closed today due to some nasty weather. So the county Chick-fil-As all offered free meals for kids today. Pretty solid of them.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
AFAIK, not to derail the discussion, but the PA Supreme Court ruled on a procedural issue and sent it back down; they didn’t rule on the merits of the case one way or the other.

I can't always be right. :<)

Good to know, I haven't been following.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
In the realm of people being good to each other...our school district has been having meal sites for kids who depend on school meals but they were closed today due to some nasty weather. So the county Chick-fil-As all offered free meals for kids today. Pretty solid of them.

I just checked my watch. Its Monday. Good!