• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

robav8r

None
Contributor
I heard there was a 30% default rate on lease & mortgage payments (homes and residences, not businesses) on 01 Apr. They're expecting that number to more than double on 01 May.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
So my governor just passed an EO, starting tomorrow, that anyone entering a store must have a face mask on, I wonder if this will suffice. Too bad I don't drink coffee.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are ABSOLUTELY correct. Unequivocally. The press would never mislead the American people in any way shape or form. They’re beyond reproach.

OMG, a mistake!!! Sacré bleu! The smoking gun!!! That alone caused mass panic and is causing people to panic and the economy to crash!

@Flash , can you explain this to me? I’m sure it’s not an example of media bias, because of #believeallwomen and #metoo and all.

CNN isn't the media as a whole, lots of media outlets have covered the story.

We could go 'round and 'round about media mistakes and biases, simple fact is though blaming the media for causing panic and mayhem in the streets is a cop out because it is easy to blame some large and amorphous entity for SOMETHING, ANYTHING!

The vast majority of medical professionals and the political leaders who are listening to them didn't decide to wake up one day and start panicking because they turned their TV's on to the news and saw VIRUS! Nope, they decided on advice from those medical professionals. Shocking, some still listen to experts.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
People who disregard news media as fake or untrustworthy may as well renounce faith in the merits of the United States based on MKUltra and the Tuskegee syphilis experiments. Something something babies and bathwater.

It's not hard to read (I know, words can be tough) multiple news sources to sift for data, but Americans insist on cherry picking stories from their platform-opposed talking heads of choice and using those instances as an open-and-shut thesis and conclusion against "the news."

It's getting easier and easier for members of the hegemonic power structure here to do and say whatever they please, and we're all doing it to ourselves.

SlickAg

pilot
I find it amusing that folks blame the media for somehow inducing panic when the President and many of his supporters are dismissive of it being 'fake news' and claim not to watch, listen or read it. How exactly are they inducing panic in those folks who don't pay attention to them, supposedly. OR do they have some magic sway over folks we don't know about?

Did the press panic folks like Governor DeWine of Ohio, who was one of the first governors to start shutting things down and banning large gatherings of folks? Or do you suppose it was his chief medical advisor?
Interesting that you used Governor DeWine as your example earlier. I’m assuming you’re ready to praise his willingness to lean forward while listening to his chief medical advisor? Phrased another way, is he doing this because because of panic or in spite of it?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm no economist but beyond reflecting on the bad numbers has anyone seen any sort of analysis about how this is different because it based on force of nature? I heard someone smart (name escapes me) a few weeks ago discussing how the impacts to the job market are different than a standard recession because of the causal factors.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I'm no economist but beyond reflecting on the bad numbers has anyone seen any sort of analysis about how this is different because it based on force of nature? I heard someone smart (name escapes me) a few weeks ago discussing how the impacts to the job market are different than a standard recession because of the causal factors.
The only way that would be the case is if we just hit pause on the economy and nobody paid bills. Tenants don’t pay landlords, landlords don’t pay mortgages, all the way up to the lenders. That’s not happening. We have no such agreement. Additionally, I think that’s the only way you could convince America to stay home past May 1st no matter what the data shows the next two weeks. People will start starving.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Well, for starters there is no systemic problem with the "system" like we had in 2008. If you look at the 1980s, the 2000s and 2008 those were all economic bubble that burst resulting in recessions. This is a self-inflicted wound. I'm no expert on viruses, but if things clear-up and stay that way I think the economy will bounce back once people (states) are given the all clear to return to normal. Human nature and all.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The only way that would be the case is if we just hit pause on the economy and nobody paid bills. Tenants don’t pay landlords, landlords don’t pay mortgages, all the way up to the lenders. That’s not happening. We have no such agreement. Additionally, I think that’s the only way you could convince America to stay home past May 1st no matter what the data shows the next two weeks. People will start starving.
Yeah, I had heard this clip weeks ago so not sure how well it's aged. I agree that the machine needs money to run but this situation is unprecedented so I doubt many economists have spent much time figuring out the nuances of a pandemic prior to JAN20.