• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eh, I only tested positive because my unvaccinated 4-yr-old was clearly sick and tested positive, leading me to test myself. If not for the sick kiddo, I wouldn't have suspected my own infection.
We still test here 2x per week during major flight test events. I’ve tested negative dozens of times over the past few months. YMMV

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
We still test here 2x per week during major flight test events. I’ve tested negative dozens of times over the past few months. YMMV
It's amazing to me the disparity from command-to-command in how COVID is handled. In some parts of the Navy it's an afterthought, in others they're still acting like it's a big deal and wearing masks.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Eh, I only tested positive because my unvaccinated 4-yr-old was clearly sick and tested positive, leading me to test myself. If not for the sick kiddo, I wouldn't have suspected my own infection.
Who gives a shit. Did you die? Were you on life support? Did you suffer brain damage or something? No?

Well, then why should we care that you got sick? Take 800 mg of ibuprofen and get back to work.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's amazing to me the disparity from command-to-command in how COVID is handled. In some parts of the Navy it's an afterthought, in others they're still acting like it's a big deal and wearing masks.
We're a pretty special case here where we have a lot of key & essential civilian engineering expertise with a bench depth of one, who are required for the range to operate. Consequently, a couple COVID cases can shut us completely down. So, when we have high stakes flight testing on billion dollar weapons systems, when rescheduling an event means a 1-2 year program delay, we play it very safe when it comes to COVID mitigation.

Conversely, I would expect a shore-based training command to have a very different risk profile, thus a very different set of COVID mitigation policies.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Who gives a shit. Did you die? Were you on life support? Did you suffer brain damage or something? No?

Well, then why should we care that you got sick? Take 800 mg of ibuprofen and get back to work.
I don't even know where to start with this non sequitur rant.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I don't even know where to start with this non sequitur rant.
Why are we still treating COVID-19 differently? I don't get notices when someone gets the flu but someone tests positive for COVID-19 and everyone loses their minds.
We're a pretty special case here where we have a lot of key & essential civilian engineering expertise with a bench depth of one, who are required for the range to operate. Consequently, a couple COVID cases can shut us completely down.
Wouldn't any illness be equally detrimental then? Or is 'completely shutting down' based on a policy to keep people with COVID-19 home even though they would otherwise be healthy enough to work?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Why are we still treating COVID-19 differently? I don't get notices when someone gets the flu but someone tests positive for COVID-19 and everyone loses their minds.
If you go back ~350-400 pages in this thread, I'm pretty sure I was in the "this will blow over" and "we're overreacting" camp.

My post was just a gentle ribbing at Brett that lack of symptoms and lack of positive test do not ensure lack of infection - there are degrees of viral load, infection, and symptoms. Cheers!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wouldn't any illness be equally detrimental then? Or is 'completely shutting down' based on a policy to keep people with COVID-19 home even though they would otherwise be healthy enough to work?
No. One person getting a cold isn't likely to take out a lot of other employees. If you have the Flu/cold/whatever, you stay home. Are you suggesting that we ask contagious COVID positive people to come in and work in close contact with other employees that do not have COVID? Is that your recommendation to me?

robav8r

None
Contributor
No. One person getting a cold isn't likely to take out a lot of other employees. If you have the Flu/cold/whatever, you stay home. Are you suggesting that we ask contagious COVID positive people to come in and work in close contact with other employees that do not have COVID? Is that your recommendation to me?
Brett - sorry, but no. People have the Flu and Colds, and Bronchitis and a whole host of other afflictions, and they go to work and they infect others around them and you know what? It’s no big deal. Everyone in my family and everyone I work with has had Covid, I’ve had it twice now. And it really wasn’t that big a deal. The Scamdemic is ending, fast. Considering your rank and current position, and considering what will likely be in the NDAA, you might want to take some time to reflect on the realities of what actually occurred, versus what certain people wanted it to be.

But, in the spirit of the holidays, Merry Christmas ? ?

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
This is also that case on the civilian side. My employer treats employees at each location differently. For example, all but 2 locations are still locked down to anyone not directly involved with those operations. The reason is exactly what @Brett327 mentioned. We have operators controlling multi-billion $ worth of infrastructure with limited bench depth. So if someone outside of that group were to contaminate those operators it could be catastrophic. They even go as far as having people work at our remote/back-up site, to separate the operators. During 2020-21, they had some guys stay in hotels while on their rotations, meaning they couldn't even go home to their families until their weeks of on-shift ended.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett - sorry, but no. People have the Flu and Colds, and Bronchitis and a whole host of other afflictions, and they go to work and they infect others around them and you know what? It’s no big deal. Everyone in my family and everyone I work with has had Covid, I’ve had it twice now. And it really wasn’t that big a deal. The Scamdemic is ending, fast. Considering your rank and current position, and considering what will likely be in the NDAA, you might want to take some time to reflect on the realities of what actually occurred, versus what certain people wanted it to be.

But, in the spirit of the holidays, Merry Christmas ? ?
The NDAA language covers vaccines, Rob. What, exactly, will I be reflecting on?

skybert

Skybert
Is everything shut down for one person with the flu?