• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

taxi1

pilot
Your theory is that your wife, who is vaxxed, gave Covid to her mom, who is also vaxxed, because she has Covid like symptoms, which are also the symptoms of a common cold or the flu?
We (doctors included) assumed it was the a cold or the flu until she presented symptoms that are Covid-specific. Loss of smell, and some others. We genuinely don't know if we gave it to her.

Sounds like you also don't believe the vax works to 95%+ efficacy.
What exactly do you mean by efficacy?

They aren't a block from getting infected, they are a block from getting sick.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
We (doctors included) assumed it was the a cold or the flu until she presented symptoms that are Covid-specific. Loss of smell, and some others. We genuinely don't know if we gave it to her.

Hrs saying that the odds of your wife (presumably vaccinated) getting infected are low. Her odds of being infected and getting sick enough to pass it on are very low. The odds of that happening and passing it to another vaccinated person and that person getting sick are astronomically low. The good news is that even if she does have covid the vaccines have been extremely effective at preventing severe cases, and I hope she feels better soon.

Mirage

pilot

"Based on evidence from clinical trials in people aged 16 years and older, the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was 95% effective at preventing laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 illness in people without evidence of previous infection"

It's 95% effective at blocking infection, and between 95-100% effective at blocking serious symptoms, depending on the study and definitions applied.

This said, I hope you know I really hope your MIL doesn't have Covid, and it is a possibility, however remote it is. Hope she gets better quickly.

taxi1

pilot
Hrs saying that the odds of your wife (presumably vaccinated) getting infected are low. Her odds of being infected and getting sick enough to pass it on are very low. The odds of that happening and passing it to another vaccinated person and that person getting sick are astronomically low. The good news is that even if she does have covid the vaccines have been extremely effective at preventing severe cases, and I hope she feels better soon.
She's in the hospital for something else, and in conference with the docs it was like...hey these symptoms...checking them all off...holy shit...do you think? If she does/did, she's on the back side of it now.

As far as transmission goes, to quote Sherlock Holmes when you've eliminated everything else, what remains is what is true.

More to the point of masks, I'm vaxxed, my neighbor is vaxxed, she is 80 and fighting stage 4 cancer, I work on her house, she asks me to wear a mask when I come over. Belt and suspenders. Should I tell her no? Her house, her rules. Or if she comes over to our place.

Even if it just gives her piece of mind, that's enough for me. Same for my grad student who recovered from a blood cancer.

Again, I'm hep on the idea that getting exposed to Covid while vaxxed might beef up the antibodies while not actually getting sick. Hope it is a thing.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
She's in the hospital for something else, and in conference with the docs it was like...hey these symptoms...checking them all off...holy shit...do you think? If she does/did, she's on the back side of it now.

As far as transmission goes, to quote Sherlock Holmes when you've eliminated everything else, what remains is what is true.

More to the point of masks, I'm vaxxed, my neighbor is vaxxed, she is 80 and fighting stage 4 cancer, I work on her house, she asks me to wear a mask when I come over. Belt and suspenders. Should I tell her no? Her house, her rules. Or if she comes over to our place.

Even if it just gives her piece of mind, that's enough for me. Same for my grad student who recovered from a blood cancer.

Again, I'm hep on the idea that getting exposed to Covid while vaxxed might beef up the antibodies while not actually getting sick. Hope it is a thing.
I don’t think anyone has suggested not respecting someone’s wishes in their own house.

taxi1

pilot
I don’t think anyone has suggested not respecting someone’s wishes in their own house.
Fair enough, but if she comes over as a guest...same thing.

Or more broadly, if I go to a place of business that requires it, I just wear it.

What's going on right now reminds me of the joke about the Irish switching which side of the road they are going to drive on, but using a phased approach. Trucks one month and cars the next.

We'll get it figured out.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
A highlight from our excellence in public health messaging

“Our outbreak is being felt primarily by the unvaccinated,” said Dr. Jeff Duchin. “97% or more of current cases are among unvaccinated people. That means if you’re unvaccinated your risk of COVID-19 is actually higher now that it was last Memorial Day.”

Sound logic from the county public health “expert”

jackjack

#winning
Yes, there was a terrible outbreak from quarantine and so far, 35 people have caught covid locally.
Victoria will enter a seven-day “circuit-breaker” lockdown