• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

If they’re not in a high risk category, and following CDC and DoD health guidelines why should they get the shot if they don’t need it? There are millions of people who are in the high risk categories playing the hunger games to get a vaccine. Some are catching COVID and dying while waiting. Fauci should be more concerned about addressing the terrible state vaccination programs that are causing deaths amongst high risk populations than whether or not some late teens to early 30s gym bro, whose social life has been relegated to mostly video games in his underwear, has gotten the shot.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I agree that Fauci weighing in on service members' vaccination preferences is ridiculous and not where his focus needs to be.

But I'm also confused. As service members, we can be ordered to get the shot (availability permitting), so if it's a SECDEF priority to defeat COVID-19 (his words), why is DoD even asking for individual vaccination preferences?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
To get to herd immunity faster

It’s a difficult concept for leadership to comprehend when command trackers aren’t green but vaccine allocation is better spent on the people actually dying of the disease because they can’t get access to the vaccine. Focus on dosing a healthy portion of the population that is forced to follow CDC guidelines and have their movement ( and interaction with the general population) restricted is misguided at this point in time. That can be focused on after people in the highest risk categories aren’t dying because they caught the virus because they couldn’t get the vaccine.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I agree that Fauci weighing in on service members' vaccination preferences is ridiculous and not where his focus needs to be.

But I'm also confused. As service members, we can be ordered to get the shot (availability permitting), so if it's a SECDEF priority to defeat COVID-19 (his words), why is DoD even asking for individual vaccination preferences?

Because the vaccines are not fully approved. They're under an emergency use authorization, so the DOD can't actually order you to take it. Once they are full up FDA approved a la the flu vaccine, expect it to be mandatory about 2 seconds later.

exNavyOffRec

Because the vaccines are not fully approved. They're under an emergency use authorization, so the DOD can't actually order you to take it. Once they are full up FDA approved a la the flu vaccine, expect it to be mandatory about 2 seconds later.

could you imagine if they were ordered to take it, and then a few years down the road issues come up, that would be a lot of disability money going out the door.

taxi1

pilot
Focus on dosing a healthy portion of the population that is forced to follow CDC guidelines and have their movement ( and interaction with the general population) restricted is misguided at this point in time.
Do you think the DOD should stop vaccinating the military?

taxi1

pilot
Of course not. But in the middle of a pandemic of a novel virus, the DOD should wait to use this vaccine until the at-risk population gets it first.
Well, that's what I meant. Should the DOD stop vaccinating it's people other than the ones who are in Phase IA or whatever grouping is getting it in the broader public?

jackjack

He’s bored in his lockdown!

My state did have a 6 day lockdown in November last year and you are right, it was boring. It came about after a worker in hotel quarantine contracted the covid virus. Luckily it was contained and there wasn't unknown community spread and we have gone back to no community cases or deaths. We have had 4 deaths, the last being on April 17th last year.

Other than the 1 person per 2 square metres for public events and limiting the number of people to my house at 50. Though I can have 200 with some precautions. Life goes on pretty much as near normal.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If you get the vaccine from a military health provider while the vaccine is still “voluntary” and you have issues later, won’t you be covered from a VA disability standpoint?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
How is it not service-related, if the Navy doses me with it, and it’s a line item that’s tracked on my IMR in BOL?

Genuinely asking. Especially if it gets made mandatory eventually.