• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

SlickAg

pilot
“We need to concentrate on the one in front of us”? That’s like a football fan telling another fan he shouldn’t discuss a game two weeks away because we need to focus on this week’s game.
Stop looking backwards! This is the new normal! And we MUST vaccinate every living soul on this earth. And UNTIL that happens (and even afterwards, but we’re just not saying it), we keep wearing masks and socially distance (which includes keeping schools closed)! Because this could happen again otherwise!

Did I do it right?

Given how much hand-wringing there was on this site about using the phrase “CHICOMs”, I doubt that some folks on here will be interested in finding out the origins of the virus unless CNN somehow finds a way to blame it on the GOP.

@HokiePilot if the NY Post isn’t a valid source for you, check out my last post with The NY Times article talking about Chinese censorship about the virus. And then google “Zhang Zhan”. I’m sure you already think I’m a conspiracy theorist, and I don’t care, but I don’t think it’s a big stretch for a country like China to go to great lengths to come up with an acceptable origin story for this virus. Your argument that we should “focus on the task at hand” and “who cares where it came from” attitude is exactly what President Xi and the CCP is counting on.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
^ caught me in the act of deleting it. ;)

Hypothesis: Teacher’s unions like paid time off more than they like actually teaching students. Change my mind.
Then I’ll delete mine too. My brother lives in Fairfax County, VA. He would agree with you about their hero frontline teachers.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Then I’ll delete mine too. My brother lives in Fairfax County, VA. He would agree without about their hero frontline teachers.
It’s all good. I stand by what I write. Sometimes I think it can sound a bit incendiary if taken out of context. I have no problem talking about how bad China and Russia are - I’d just rather not become a target of them.

SlickAg

pilot
I just wanted to understand something: if cases increase after mask mandates, are the masks not working? Or are people just refusing to wear them? The “80% of people wearing them” number has been thrown about before, but it doesn’t appear to have done anything on a macro scale. Again, if masks have worked so well to defeat influenza this year...isn’t the proof in the pudding that people ARE wearing masks but maybe they aren’t as effective against COVID as originally believed?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/05/masks-covid-19-infections-would-plummet-new-study-says

BigRed389

None
I just wanted to understand something: if cases increase after mask mandates, are the masks not working? Or are people just refusing to wear them? The “80% of people wearing them” number has been thrown about before, but it doesn’t appear to have done anything on a macro scale. Again, if masks have worked so well to defeat influenza this year...isn’t the proof in the pudding that people ARE wearing masks but maybe they aren’t as effective against COVID as originally believed?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/05/masks-covid-19-infections-would-plummet-new-study-says

I don’t really know, but I would like to think the richest and most powerful nation on Earth (for now) with the best medical and scientific community in the world (or so we say) could figure it out and settle it before we encounter a pathogen that doesn’t only primarily kill fatties and people who are the bulk of our federal mandatory spending.

SlickAg

pilot
I don’t really know, but I would like to think the richest and most powerful nation on Earth (for now) with the best medical and scientific community in the world (or so we say) could figure it out and settle it before we encounter a pathogen that doesn’t only primarily kill fatties and people who are the bulk of our federal mandatory spending.
Agreed. I do think our friends the CHYCAPs have found some plays (if not their whole playbook) if they ever want to escalate things. But then again, this couldn’t have been their plan from the beginning, that would’ve been wrong of them. It also would’ve been wrong of them to capitalize on the sheer chaos they inflicted upon the world. Because they’re our friend and they’re not like that.

Found this article from Australia where they apparently not only didn’t promote masks for the original SARS outbreak, but fined people who said they were helpful. Since that was SARS-CoV and this is SARS-CoV-2 I wonder what the major differences are between the two and/or what science has changed in 17 years that now make masks indispensable in the fight against coronaviruses (other than social media, 24/7 news cycles, et al).

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Since that was SARS-CoV and this is SARS-CoV-2 I wonder what the major differences are between the two and/or what science has changed in 17 years that now make masks indispensable in the fight against coronaviruse
Hint: look at the virus DNA... even though the virus names look similar, their DNA does not. Then ask, why not?

Here’s the peer reviewed scientific research:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...019-nCoV_spike_protein_to_HIV-1_gp120_and_Gag

These are telltale indicators of “gain of function” research, according to Dr Luc Montagnier, who earned a Nobel prize for a life’s work studying the HIV/AIDS virus DNA.

The sad irony is - if China and the media had been honest about where this virus came from - maybe more people would have been convinced early on to take it more seriously than SARS1 or MERS.

Last edited:

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
A month ago got recovered from this fucking Chinese gift, with full range of pleasure from hundred pricks to lung ventilation. Docs say the full recovery will take about half-year. Really, tried bench push with moderate 132 lbs - managed to bear just four reps, then white stars blew up in the eyes.... Now it is better but still definitely far from Olympic status?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Hint: look at the virus DNA... even though the virus names look similar, their DNA does not. Then ask, why not?

Here’s the peer reviewed scientific research:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...019-nCoV_spike_protein_to_HIV-1_gp120_and_Gag

These are telltale indicators of “gain of function” research, according to Dr Luc Montagnier, who earned a Nobel prize for a life’s work studying the HIV/AIDS virus DNA.

The sad irony is - if China and the media had been honest about where this virus came from - maybe more people would have been convinced early on to take it more seriously than SARS1 or MERS.

Careful there, that article hasn't been reviewed by Hoda Kotbe or Anderson Cooper. Keeping posting unverified stuff like that and you'll get laughed right out of here.

taxi1

pilot
Pottinger is worth listening to. He’s a voice of reason in the administration.

I really don’t think the CHYCAPs did it on purpose, not without having a vaccine ready. They also would have left a lot of function gain on the table. The original SARS was far more deadly.

Curious as to what that evolutionary biologist thinks of the significant “gain of function” the virus has undergone through recent mutations in both the UK and South Africa variants.
Found this article from Australia where they apparently not only didn’t promote masks for the original SARS outbreak, but fined people who said they were helpful. Since that was SARS-CoV and this is SARS-CoV-2 I wonder what the major differences are between the two and/or what science has changed in 17 years that now make masks indispensable in the fight against coronaviruses (other than social media, 24/7 news cycles, et al).
Citing an article from 17 years ago? We’ve evolved our approach over the last few months based on what we’ve learned. Two big things about the article you cite:
  1. SARS was not nearly as contagious as SARS 2 is (But it was more deadly)
  2. Everyone thought the masks were for protecting individuals from inhaling the virus. We now know that it is all about preventing infected from spreading the virus (my mask protects you, your mask protects me)

SlickAg

pilot
Citing an article from 17 years ago? We’ve evolved our approach over the last few months based on what we’ve learned. Two big things about the article you cite:
  1. SARS was not nearly as contagious as SARS 2 is (But it was more deadly)
  2. Everyone thought the masks were for protecting individuals from inhaling the virus. We now know that it is all about preventing infected from spreading the virus (my mask protects you, your mask protects me)
You’re absolutely right. The masks have worked not only in America, but Western European countries like Denmark and England as well.

Serious question: if we can no longer learn from the past, does this mean you’ll stop sharing your (no-longer relevant) VT instructor stories from the 80s?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor