• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Reminds me of the dudes in Primary (way back when we flew a relic called the T-34C) that wore the O2 mask on their solos just for the selfie.

And yes I think I did that too. ?
I did it! It was cool. Form, Nav, PA solos.

We did our airnavs from the back seat at the time which was dumb I thought and sure enough was revised to student returning to front seat.

It did give me ample opportunity to dork around and take hero selfies with my instamatic without IP being aware...
1589597831792-b1226c2d-3c63-41d6-a382-87f33b87d6db.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
How are things in DC/Northern VA? I got this from a former NROTC classmate, retired NUC O-5 who lives & works in DC - his view:
Screenshot_20200515-230509.png

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How are things in DC/Northern VA? I got this from a former NROTC classmate, retired NUC O-5 who lives & works in DC - his view:
View attachment 25807
All fine up to the end. No need for a pledge to save the health care system from any given American needing care. Vast majority never need hospital care. Certainly not ICU care. And for those that do, there is plenty of capacity. DC may very well be different. But vast majority of the country isn't DC. It sure ain't NYC. We don't need lectures from the folks protecting DC and NYC about how to take care of Cedar Rapids, or Topeka. We don't need the press making people think Newark is going to happen in Pueblo.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The problem, at least for me, is mission creep.

It was "15 days to slow the spread"
Then "30 days, flatten the curve!"
Then "Stay home, save lives"
Then "Crush the curve" and "we're not going to loosen up until there's a cure/vaccine. Excuse me what?

This whole thing was pitched as a measure to keep hospitals from overloading. We did that. We knew that cases would rise afterward because there simply is no vaccine. Now, we're fine with practicing distancing and wearing masks, but why are we still keeping everything closed?
Based on how the re-open/stay closed debate seems to fall along certain ideological lines, my hunch is that the people who are yelling to stay closed (and who are shaming those they see as not following the “rules”) also happen to want one or more of the following:

. Economy to tank
. Universal free income and universal free healthcare
. Biden to win

This conclusion is from a highly scientific* poll of observing my liberal friends’ memes and shaming pics on Instagram.

*sarcasm

taxi1

pilot
Knowing we had covid fatalities in the United States in early February would have changed everything. We would have known that if we had testing. The idea that testing isn’t critical is flat-out stupid.

We probably had lots of fatalities, and it was taking off via community transmission exactly when POTUS was talking about 15 patients soon to be none.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Knowing we had covid fatalities in the United States in early February would have changed everything. We would have known that if we had testing. The idea that testing isn’t critical is flat-out stupid.

We probably had lots of fatalities, and it was taking off via community transmission exactly when POTUS was talking about 15 patients soon to be none.
Testing of patients to confirm covid is one thing. I see how that makes a difference both in treatment and data for response purposes. But in early February many experts were not convinced we had a problem here. The president wasn't alone. It wasn't even considered pandemic worthy then.

There are different types of tests. Some are far better than others. Some require proper administration that may be lacking. We don't know exactly who can spread the virus. Some positive are not infectious. Some people can be infectious, but at very low dosing levels. There have been thousands of cases where someone hospitalized with symptoms tested negative more than once before confirmation. And of course, one can be asymptomatic and spread the virus. Given all that, and the fact recording covid deaths and former symptomatic patients does not even have to be confirmed by testing, I am still a bit suspicious of the value of testing as it relates to data driven models and policy decisions.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

We have people who are trained and cerified to diagnose SARS without the need of a lab test.

COVID-19 might be a new virus, but the illness it causes has been around for centuries.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Information from a month ago showing that young people face almost zero risk from the virus. Apologies to taxi1, I said I had a 99.9% chance of recovery, which apparently was an understatement

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Information from a month ago showing that young people face almost zero risk from the virus. Apologies to taxi1, I said I had a 99.9% chance of recovery, which apparently was an understatement

View attachment 25810
This is the information and format I'd like to see being used in the USA. Tells you what is important in language that is clear. Sure, you can calculate that from some of the numbers floating around, or you could read the posts of smart guys here. But official tallies such as this, down to the state and county, should be front and center in newspapers and government web sites.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
View attachment 25807
I live just a few minutes from DC, in fact if I walk 200 yards I can see the capital right up the Potomac. Here is what I can tell you. The area is shattered. It is a decrepit version of the once great town it was. Poverty, always a constant, is getting worse and newer and newer waves of “woke” citizens are all reminding us, every day, of our failures from 150 plus years ago.

And then the pandemic came...