• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

taxi1

pilot
Hmmm, I guess no one had specifically tested covid-19?

At our house my wife went out and bought humidifiers two weeks ago, and we’ve been keeping the curtains open to let in sunlight.

I’ve pressed for us to get UV-C lights at work.

SlickAg

pilot
“However, in hindsight it seems clear that treating the entire country as if it were New York City was a huge mistake that has cost millions of American jobs and destroyed untold amounts of wealth.”

Daily updates to hospitals and health care systems announcing layoffs and furloughs.

Last edited:

SlickAg

pilot
25% of students, their families, teachers and staff at a high school in northern France tested positive for Covid antibodies.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I.e. Lefty Dems and so are Google and Apple corporate cultures. Plus Andrew Cuomo is the newest Dem hero.

And his holier-than-thou brother, who claims to have been infected with COVID19, ignored the EO of his brother the NY Governor, and left quarantine to go visit his plot of land in the Hampton's around Easter. Talk about double standard. He eff'ed up when he got into a confrontation with a cyclist who dared call him out on being out of quarantine. Cyclist later filed a police complaint.

taxi1

pilot
25% of students, their families, teachers and staff at a high school in northern France tested positive for Covid antibodies.
So have 75% been unexposed, leaving a pool for the inevitable Fall wave? Or does the virus just do nothing with them, not even triggering antibodies?

Friend of mine assumes he has it. All symptoms of everything, and he says it really, really sucks (but getting better now). Doc says he has it, although his test came back negative. He hasn't socially distanced from his family of wife and kids, and they have nothing. Go figure.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Doc says he has it, although his test came back negative.
When I was tested I was told there is a 30-35% false negative rate. So even though I was negative, I was told to do 2 weeks of quarantine.

My daughter and her husband live just north of NYC in Westchester County which was where this started in NY (New Rochelle area). They have both had COVID-19 (late March / early April) and so have many of their friends and many of my daughter’s fellow dental students. All have recovered. None were ever tested by diagnosed by symptoms alone through NY’s hotline. Test were only given to medical personnel, first responders and those admitted to hospitals since test were in short supply. There is no doubt they had it but none are included in the official numbers as they were never tested.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So have 75% been unexposed, leaving a pool for the inevitable Fall wave? Or does the virus just do nothing with them, not even triggering antibodies?

Friend of mine assumes he has it. All symptoms of everything, and he says it really, really sucks (but getting better now). Doc says he has it, although his test came back negative. He hasn't socially distanced from his family of wife and kids, and they have nothing. Go figure.
Herd immunity isn’t something instantaneous that happens at 60 or 70%. In places like that future outbreaks would already be somewhat mitigated assuming antibodies for the right corona virus and durable immunity for it at least largely exists.

As for the UV thing, is there evidence of any virus not being destroyed by UV?

taxi1

pilot
Hmmm, I guess no one had specifically tested covid-19?

At our house my wife went out and bought humidifiers two weeks ago, and we’ve been keeping the curtains open to let in sunlight.

I’ve pressed for us to get UV-C lights at work.
Just FYI for your own use. UV works, sunlight works, even if not tested directly on COVID-19, which is hard to do because of controls required. Negative pressure rooms just exhaust outside, letting sunlight neutralize the virus. Folks I work with are doing this...

@Treetop Flyer, to the best of my knowledge, no.

SlickAg

pilot
Lots of interpretations to be made. Out of everyone who had it (137?), fewer than a dozen were hospitalized, with no fatalities. So my takeaway is that it is not as deadly as initially suspected in otherwise “healthy” younger people. So much more widespread infection than initially suspected. Again, take away nursing home deaths and the numbers are even lower.

Also of note, smokers were much less likely to get infected, but had a higher death rate. Scientists are now studying the effects of nicotine in treating the virus.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I literally googled “covid ultraviolet”.

“But to date she has "found no quality scientific studies showing that sunlight actually kills coronavirus," and there are no guidelines on how it might be used on various surfaces or in different settings and temperatures.”

Making logical misinterpretations of statements doesn't help.

'There are no scientific studies showing X affects Y' is not logically the same as 'X does not affect Y'

This kind of thing is why the world thinks that Trump asked people to inject bleach into their lungs.

SlickAg

pilot
Making logical misinterpretations of statements doesn't help.

'There are no scientific studies showing X affects Y' is not logically the same as 'X does not affect Y'

This kind of thing is why the world thinks that Trump asked people to inject bleach into their lungs.
It was an answer to someone needing proof that there was essentially bad gouge floating around the Internet.

I also think the world thinks that because the media is telling them that, rather than posting the full comments. You know, because Orange Man Bad. Here’s but one example below.

SlickAg

pilot
Sounds very similar to Florida. I watched an interview with their governor last night (not the one referenced below) that talked about their response and their plan. They targeted assisted living facilities and nursing homes, set up rapid response teams to respond to outbreaks there, and basically told everyone else to be responsible. Never banned outdoor recreational activities.

Both are very telling in light of articles I posted saying that nursing homes accounted something like 50% of the deaths, and the NYC subway was the biggest culprit in transmission; not to mention when you force people to stay inside together you’re essentially assuring transmitting the virus to everyone you’re with.