• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19 and Navy Life

croakerfish

pilot
So what's the rating criteria? Are cheese sandwiches as good as fried chicken?

One day at the first fuel hit on a long day of VERTREP we got a bunch of boxes filled with very legit breakfast burritos, those little cans of orange juice, sausage biscuits, and donuts. Also a whole orange each. I was almost too full to eat the fried chicken and potato logs they gave us 6 hours later for lunch.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Every time we'd pull into Panama, we'd get these oranges that were always awesome. I think they were from CA, but regardless, people treated them like cartons of cigarettes in prison...hoarding them or trading them for something else good (which was rare). Obviously they could only be hoarded for 4 days or so before they had to be eaten, but they were like gold for that small window of time.

Pags

N/A
pilot
USNS ships are usually pretty solid...Mt Baker used to give egg sandwiches that had BOTH sausage and bacon on them. Amazing.

The AUS FFGs I used to hit in the NAG also had good box lunches, got crab cakes once, lasagna another time. All were good and came in nice foil containers with utensils that didn't cave in on your lap.

The Singaporean LPD would give boxes of street noodles with little shrimp in them. I loved them and a lot of the AWs hated them which meant I got seconds.

The Brits tried really hard. Their box lunches came in a legit box and looked like someone's Mum had made them. A sandwich, a drink, some fruit, some crisps, and some candy. The only downside was that the sandwich and crisps were British...shredded onion and cheese sandwich with ketchup crisps? It wasn't bad, just different/British, and you could tell it was made with care.

Compare all the above to the bread on bread sandwich that the USS THATCH gave us or the ubiquitous paper plates of peas and water with no utensils that most US ships like to give out.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Compare all the above to the bread on bread sandwich that the USS THATCH gave us or the ubiquitous paper plates of peas and water with no utensils that most US ships like to give out.
rpGcXIY.jpeg

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
A lot of times I think it's SUPPOs who are mad we aren't paying for the meal. But, we still have to pay for the meal back on our own ship and 99% of the time I am doing said small boy a service - I wish they wouldn't get so uptight about it.

The dirty secret is that there are multiple lines of funding for food on board a ship and that you helo bubbas not paying is never going to break the bank. But then again, SUPPOs get really uptight about making sure every i is dotted and t is crossed. Meanwhile they are wheeling and dealing and making multiple drug deals to get CASREP parts to the ship in a timely manner.

Oh shit, it's a picture from my first ship! But seriously, everyone who's eaten noodles jefferson or rice three-ways (undercooked, overcooked, and burnt, all in the same dish) understands this picture. We once had the night baker decide to phone it in and made blueberry muffins, but switched the salt and sugar ratios. It was funny watching people eat them at breakfast unknowingly.

BigRed389

None
The dirty secret is that there are multiple lines of funding for food on board a ship and that you helo bubbas not paying is never going to break the bank. But then again, SUPPOs get really uptight about making sure every i is dotted and t is crossed. Meanwhile they are wheeling and dealing and making multiple drug deals to get CASREP parts to the ship in a timely manner.

Oh shit, it's a picture from my first ship! But seriously, everyone who's eaten noodles jefferson or rice three-ways (undercooked, overcooked, and burnt, all in the same dish) understands this picture. We once had the night baker decide to phone it in and made blueberry muffins, but switched the salt and sugar ratios. It was funny watching people eat them at breakfast unknowingly.

Yeah one of the best meals I got was an alongside fuel hit off a DDG several years back.

Chicken parm and pasta that was pretty damn good even by shoreside standards, enough for several boat crews. End of a very long boat op (~10 hours in) where I was eating trail mix most of the day...so it was absolutely amazing. Fresh and hot, because we did the fuel hit around dinner time. Didn't pay for the meals. Was embarked for 2 weeks on a RN ship during that period as well...they never charged our Det for the meals (or beer!) either. Good stuff, but yeah, British food is definitely...different.

exNavyOffRec

You know what gets CASREP parts to a ship very fast? Two little words "Reactor Safety"