• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Could a T-6B defeat a P-51 in a dogfight?

Python

pilot
Contributor
It was certified, and given your timeframe, I'm puzzled why you didn't do an approach. Unless you were a Corpus guy, in which case that explains everything.

I can't remember MIDNJAC's exact Primary timeline, but looking at your timing, were you one of the guys that did a separate Tailhook intermediate in the T-34? That seems like the only way you wouldn't have done one in the aircraft given the syllabus at the time. Or it was just Corpus, and that would explain everything.

Can't speak for MIDNJAC except for the fact that his timeline was a little earlier than mine. I was a Corpus guy and did not do a a tailhook intermediate.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
For me, it was Corpus- we were "allowed" to use the GPS for area orientation, but there was no GPS approach in the syllabus, so I personally never bothered to mess with it. This was in 2006. Not sure where MIDNJAC went through primary.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Never did one in corpus in 2008 and frankly it would have been a waste of time since there's no RNAV capability in t45's or harriers

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I could be misremembering but I was sure we did them in the T-34 and I know we did them in the th-57. Same KLN-900 GPS in both aircraft and coincidentally the same one I instructed with in the T-6A

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There was definitely a GPS approach graded item, or at the very least, a demo item, in the I4200 series events during that time frame. I was half-joking about Corpus, but here we are, you all went through Corpus. So maybe I was only quarter joking.

Never did one in corpus in 2008 and frankly it would have been a waste of time since there's no RNAV capability in t45's or harriers

I understand it didn't matter for you, but that's not really the point. If a squadron is maintaining STAN (and assuming it's on the gradecard), everyone should be doing a grade item because most studs aren't going to jet advanced.

I know, neither here nor there now, but STAN was always something I tried to adhere to because everyone complained about it. Studs complained about it, IUTs complained about it, and then you'd have the random IPs that would ignore it, either due to error or just not caring.

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Yeah, I went through Corpus in '08 as well. Sounds like we were the black sheep of "modern navigation". Also did not do a primary "intermediate" phase, just intermediate and advanced T-45's. I think the Corpus IP's at the time were of the mindset that a GPS approach was too easy, and didn't really prove your RI skills or something. At least that was my impression as a no nothing student.

jmcquate

Contributor
Stopped flying long before GPS was an aviation thingy, so this may be a stupid question, but is it that much more precise than a localizer?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Stopped flying long before GPS was an aviation thingy, so this may be a stupid question, but is it that much more precise than a localizer?

Shouldn't have quit so soon......that was technically around 27 years ago if you count grey jets in desert shield/desert storm :)

sevenhelmet

pilot

It's different. Unlike a pie-wedge radial that gets more sensitive as you get in close, during a GPS approach, the needle has a set sensitivity through different phases of the approach (at least for LNAV). Required RNP (accuracy) values are 0.3 nmi inside the FAF for the Rhino on a non-precision GPS final. If the system can't do that for some reason, it Xs out and won't display a localizer needle in the HUD. For WAAS (precision) approaches, the accuracy has to be higher- within 25 feet or so- such that a worst-case error added a normal deviation from course/glide-path won't put you in an unsafe position. Right now the Rhino is only certified for LNAV (non-precision) approaches. That's supposed to change eventually, although I'm not sure if it's getting WAAS, or if there's a workaround with the jet's inherent accuracy. It's a little weird, but certification is the key, and I'm not sure whether hardware modifications will be required.

Last edited:

Python

pilot
Contributor
It's different. Unlike a pie-wedge radial that gets more sensitive as you get in close, during a GPS approach, the needle has the same sensitivity throughout the whole approach (at least for LNAV). Required RNP (accuracy) values are 0.2 nmi for the Rhino on a non-precision GPS final. If the system can't do that for some reason, it Xs out and won't display a localizer needle in the HUD. For WAAS (precision) approaches, the accuracy has to be higher- within 25 feet or so- such that a worst-case error added a normal deviation from course/glide-path won't put you in an unsafe position. Right now the Rhino is only certified for LNAV (non-precision) approaches, since the jet's GPS doesn't currently WAAS. That's supposed to change eventually. It's a little weird, especially since the jet's GPS aided INS is a pretty tight system most of the time. Certification is the key, and I'm not sure whether hardware modifications will be required.

Wait...the Rhino is getting WAAS???

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's different. Unlike a pie-wedge radial that gets more sensitive as you get in close, during a GPS approach, the needle has a set sensitivity through different phases of the approach (at least for LNAV). Required RNP (accuracy) values are 0.3 nmi inside the FAF for the Rhino on a non-precision GPS final. If the system can't do that for some reason, it Xs out and won't display a localizer needle in the HUD. For WAAS (precision) approaches, the accuracy has to be higher- within 25 feet or so- such that a worst-case error added a normal deviation from course/glide-path won't put you in an unsafe position. Right now the Rhino is only certified for LNAV (non-precision) approaches. That's supposed to change eventually, although I'm not sure if it's getting WAAS, or if there's a workaround with the jet's inherent accuracy. It's a little weird, but certification is the key, and I'm not sure whether hardware modifications will be required.
You can look up your required RNP by inserting your CAC card into the ATM machine. :D

sevenhelmet

pilot
You can look up your required RNP by inserting your CAC card into the ATM machine. :D

And that'll give you your RNP required navigational precision so you can land your F/A-18 fighter attack airplane at the NAS naval station. Yeah, I know... the hardest part about GPS approaches for me was learning all the damn acronyms. I still don't know what some of them stand for, I just know how to check for them. :cool: OK, really [/threadjack]

jmcquate

Contributor
Not getting all of the acronym salad, but I get the general point............the answer is yes.:)