• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

cool pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TANGO 1 said:
I am not saying you not, but there are no faces to all this names here. Anybody can be smart-a$$ with a computer.
I believe everything you have said. I am not saying you are lieing or you are a lier.
You just never know.

Hope you see where i am coming from. No disrespect Sir.

Most of the people on this board are pretty genuine and honest about where they come from.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Oh holy webmaster!!! We are still waiting anxiously for that almighty powerful bolt of cyber lightenting to fry this fungus that continues to spread across the forums.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
Oh holy webmaster!!! We are still waiting anxiously for that almighty powerful bolt of cyber lightenting to fry this fungus that continues to spread across the forums.

I'm enjoying this actually....

Back to the topic, as far a sbomb bay location...I'd wager its aft, like the offical site depicts. Maybe due to the location of the baggage area...

TANGO 1

Contributor
Michael W said:
Wow, your so smart, so I take it Lip Anti-Ice and Ignitors have no real function huh?

Honestly i do not know how this all works, but i have heard on couple occasions, the pilot tell the AMO that he flew into some clouds and in one of the occasions, we found out that the right motor was FODed, but when we checked the compressor stages, we did not find anything. According to my NCOIC he said, it might possibly be ice.

I am not sure on this, but i think sometimes the pilots might forget to hit the anti-ice button. I am not exactly sure. But i have heard something along that line. About the pilot forgetting to hit the ani-ice button and then they have ice forming on the front fan frame and by the time he realizes this, there might be damage. I would think they are automatic.

I would be honset with you here, i don't know for a fact. But i have heard stories. Well i am sure somebody reading this can probably help out.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
well since you've heard stories and obviously have very little clue how a jet engine works...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bomb bay aft? Originally when Boeing did the dog and pony show with the 737 last year, the bomb bay was forward (proposed), in the forward luggage compartment. But the 737 IGW (increased gross weight) variant that they are using for the MMA, uses one of of the luggage areas as another fuel tank, like zab mentioned. Probably easier on CG to have the extra fuel tank forward while you burn it off. But I don't know the exact data on that. Also might be some issues on airflow, weapon seperation, and the fact that they are going to use articulated bomb bay doors to stay out of the slipstream, unlike the clamshell doors of the P3 that open into, and stay in the slipstream (whole airplane vibrating around you, good stuff)...

Tango, let me confirm for the record that zab is a not only a winged naval aviator, but a P3 Patrol Plane Commander (PPC), with countless hours and experience flying this aircraft. In addition, I am also a P3 PPC, and if you don't believe me, and I run this site, then you might as well just hang your hat and find another site, since this one is "obviously full of imposters". You need to understand that the core group of aviators on this forum either know each other personally in training, through other naval aviators, or the veracity of their posts. We are here to assist those that are interested in following our footsteps, and have similar goals. Answering questions, and giving what advice we have is how we give back, and something we are interested in doing. I know for a fact that I and others have directly or indirectly assisted future naval aviators in making their dreams a reality. Now, take a look at this thread, ADVANCED PROPS, under NAVAL AVIATION AND TRAINING. This is a forum for those in this pipeline to discuss issues or questions. You asked the original question, and zab answered it. You ignored it, and added a slew of other posts, and once again zab answered it. I take it as a plane captain, you have heard the term SME, you know Subject Matter Expert? Well, you have encountered a couple of them in this thread, and you continue to ignore ppl that answer your questions. Flip side, overhearing a conversation about engine anti-icing procedures, engine stresses, doesn't make you an expert on this topic. Would you question an F18 pilot on his emergency or normal operating procedures? I don't think so. Would you provide answers if you were the appropriate maintainer to his/her technical questions on the status of his aircraft, with respect to the ADB, yes. See the difference?

To once again answer the orginal question. P3 does not equal C130, broad scope, different mission, we don't carry troops and supplies to unpaved fields. FOD as you know is ALWAYS an issue, how many 0700 FOD walkdowns have we all done? But it is not an issue for this aircraft, in the role it is going to be used. More pertinent questions are, what about engine failure on station at low altitude? Well, as already provided, the turbofans have a ridiculously low engine failure rate, especially in comparison to the P3's. Also, the 737 has a HIGHER climbout rate (fpm) with ONE engine, than the P3 with ALL FOUR...

Other pertinent questions, such as the one in this thread, fuel economy. Turbofan is great for up high, but can't compete with prop down low (under 2000 feet). A P3 taking off and going directly onstation is going to have a longer onstation time, than say a 737. But, if you throw a 1000 nm travel to onstation, then you have a different answer. The 737 gets there earlier, and can spend more time on station. This is also ignoring so many other factors that confront a PPC, and crew. Weather, terrain, national boundaries, tactical situation, crew fatigue, that affect how long we can stay on station.

For one, I think the 737 is a good thing. Anything to increase reliability of the airframe, and the fact that there is an open market for parts. What is killing us now is that we and a few other countries are operating a small fleet of P3s with no new parts out there. Whereas there are what, close to 3000 737s out there in the world or on order? Any part can be found, anywhere, great supply system that the Navy doesn't have to pay for. You should know that problem intimately as an F18 plane captain, since hornets face them same problems that we do.

Oh, by the way, if you didn't know also, P3 C "Orion" = Lockheed Electra (civilian airliner....albeit with 9 feet chopped off it forward the wing root). Isn't the first time that the Navy or military as a whole has used a civilian proven aircraft.

--- P3 Patrol Plane Commander

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
and that should put this thread to bed, good night folks

As long as it stays on track and provides food for inteligent, or at least humorous/entertaining posts, keep it rolling. My 'aft bomb bay' comment came from the 'promo card' or whatever was on that website. Unlike SOME people...Webmaster...I didn't get to see/tour the MMA demo plane...I can't quite remember what I was doing, but I think whatever it was, it sucked, TPC maybe...I did swipe one of those leather MMA 737 coasters from a new 3P at the club in K-Bay. Did the demo plane have wing pylons? If so, how many?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
I can't quite remember what I was doing, but I think whatever it was, it sucked

Hahha I find that so amusing for some reason...

TANGO 1

Contributor
Webmaster,
I did not mean to disrespect anyone if at all it came like that. I am saying sorry to those toes i have stepped on.
I find your post full of good information. Thanks for clearing things up as far as some of the questions i had about how the new aircraft(737) will best fit into the naval operational fleet.
Thanks once again.

Mal731

Punk said:
How often have you seen a commercial 737 get FOD'd out? Almost never. Call me crazy, but there will not be a problem with FOD and the 737. Commercial world has been using high-bypass turbofans for the past 30 years and they've been fine.

I think they should make all the travellers at La Guardia do a FOD Walkdown before they're allowed to board.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Patmack18 said:
While there is a limited amount of anonymity on the internet... it does NOT give you an excuse to talk to an Officer like that. I read that as basically "I think you're lying." You've got to be kidding me....

Let's leave the entire rank thing alone.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Mal731 said:
I think they should make all the travellers at La Guardia do a FOD Walkdown before they're allowed to board.

sorry folks, but your peanuts are over there, that's right, across the tarmac. your flightcrew is kinda busy, helping prevent your demise, so if you wouldn't mind retrieving your peanuts, that would be great. oh by the why, if you happen to see anything on the ground, please, be a dear and pick it up. thanks for flying delta.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
sorry folks, but your peanuts are over there, that's right, across the tarmac. your flightcrew is kinda busy, helping preventing your demise, so if you wouldn't mind retrieving your peanuts, that would be great. oh by the why, if you happen to see anything on the ground, please, be a dear and pick it up. thanks for flying delta.

[self-centered moron] But ma'am, I'm allergic to peanuts! No one else on this plane can have peanuts! [/self-centered moron]

Status
Not open for further replies.