• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cooking decent, healthy and cheaply..

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Agreed... key takeaway - whatever "doneness" temperature you want (don't rely on the oven temp, "feel" of the meat/chicken/fish, use a meat thermometer), pull it out of what ever cooking method you use 10 degrees LOWER than what you want, and cover it with tin foil. It will continue to cook, and get the requisite rest time...

Anyone here ever fry a turkey? I'll never go back, bought a turkey fryer on faith and DAMN it's good...

Holy cow, Brett and I agree! Personally, I think that Alton Brown is the greatest thing EVER on the Food Network. I used to hate him, until I realized that he was able to teach me how to COOK, rather than just teach me recipes...

First bold is GOLD. People forget to let meat rest after cooking and NOT to cut/poke it. It continues to cook and as it cools, if you cut or tear the meat juices flow out and it dries out.

I've always wanted to try/make fried turkey, but never got around to it. Also, if you don't fry correctly (ie temp/time), especially something as large as a turkey, then you will either get soggy meat or not done thoroughly.

Alton Brown is also my favorite guy on the Food Network, in spite of his effeminate and annoying tendencies. His show is pretty comprehensive when it comes to cooking styles, and genres and not just a regular recipe-driven show.

This thread is good stuff. Keep it up!

phrogpilot73

People forget to let meat rest after cooking and NOT to cut/poke it. It continues to cook and as it cools, if you cut or tear the meat juices flow out and it dries out.
Concur. I've seen WAY too many people cut a steak to determine if it's done. Use a meat themometer, time, or experience.

I've always wanted to try/make fried turkey, but never got around to it. Also, if you don't fry correctly (ie temp/time), especially something as large as a turkey, then you will either get soggy meat or not done thoroughly.
It's a science. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll fill you in on how to do it (and include a PDF if you include your email address) so it's perfect. You'd be surprised how easy it is... And OH, so incredibly juicy... EVEN WHITE MEAT IS JUICY!

joboy_2.0

Contributor
You'd be surprised how easy it is... And OH, so incredibly juicy... EVEN WHITE MEAT IS JUICY!

I've always wanted to try fried turkey. After years and years of dried out oven turkey, my family ditched turkey and just does chicken on Thanksgiving. I will be glad to be the toast of the A-pool studs next year by trying a fried turkey.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur. I've seen WAY too many people cut a steak to determine if it's done. Use a meat themometer, time, or experience.

It's a science. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll fill you in on how to do it (and include a PDF if you include your email address) so it's perfect. You'd be surprised how easy it is... And OH, so incredibly juicy... EVEN WHITE MEAT IS JUICY!

In my last squadron, one year we did a turkey cook-off with one roasted traditionally, one done in a smoker, and another fried. Each had their own special qualities, but the fried one was hands down the best. As with any fried foods, the temperature of the oil is critical and is ultimately the determining factor in whether you get an oily, soggy mess, or a crispy, tasty treat.

Brett

joboy_2.0

Contributor
In my last squadron, one year we did a turkey cook-off with one roasted traditionally, one done in a smoker, and another fried. Each had their own special qualities, but the fried one was hands down the best. As with any fried foods, the temperature of the oil is critical and is ultimately the determining factor in whether you get an oily, soggy mess, or a crispy, tasty treat.

Brett

Before I read aforementioned PDF, isn't the temp supposed to be about 375? And also a significant volume of oil such that when you place the turkey in the oil, the temp doesn't drop drastically? (also letting the turkey get to room temp would work well I guess)

phrogpilot73

Before I read aforementioned PDF, isn't the temp supposed to be about 375? And also a significant volume of oil such that when you place the turkey in the oil, the temp doesn't drop drastically? (also letting the turkey get to room temp would work well I guess)
Getting the turkey to room temp is KEY, or the oil temp will drop to the point that you end up with a GREASY mess... The PDF file is the truth and the way... After reading my email, you know why I can't share publicly...

As far as cookbooks go, it's not an "Idiot's Guide" type, the "The Joy of Cooking" is probably the most thorough, encyclopedic tome available. It doesn't have any cool pictures, but it covers just about every facet of cookery you could imagine.

Brett

Geez Brett, who would have guessed??!! This must be how you trick all those women ;)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll second Alton Brown's approach. Once you "get" methods of cooking, types of sauces, seasoning, wine pairing, etc; you can go from following a recipe in a book, to just going shopping to find the freshest, most appealing ingredients to bring home. Once you're back in your kitchen, it will become second nature what goes together and what tastes good to you. Cookbooks are great and I probably own 30-40 of them, but going freestyle is where you make your money.
Good Eats is my favorite Food Network show. Personally, I like the chemistry and physics behind the cooking.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
:confused::confused: Why? She is the most obnoxious person on the entire network and completely useless in the kitchen!
My wife likes Rachael Ray. Some of my flight attendants had her on a fight and she was barely polite. Her personal assistant was down right rude and obnoxious for her. I hate to pass on flight attendant celeb stories since traveling can be stressful for anyone and we all have bad days. But hey, why not pile on?;)

Good Eats is the best. Have you read his bio?

I'm 2 for 3 on the turkey frier. It is so good I keep going back. I'll nail it someday.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm 2 for 3 on the turkey frier. It is so good I keep going back. I'll nail it someday.
Back when I was college (UF for the unitiated), we used to fry turkeys for our football tail-gating parties. We'd inject it with some good marinade juices and then rub it with some cajun seasoning. Deep fry it until perfection. Damn, that's some good stuff.