• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cooking decent, healthy and cheaply..

MasterBates

Here is a new one.. Gumbo so easy I can make it.

20 Oz Beans (I used a bag for 15 bean soup)
1lb of sweet sausage, ham, chicken, or some meat (pork tenderloins I had left over)
2 cups cooked rice
1 14 oz can crushed tomatos
1 cup diced onion
3 cloves garlic, pressed
2 limes

Soak the beans overnight in a pot with 2 quarts of water.
Cook any non-precooked meat, to a rare, but cooked condition.
Drain beans, add 2-3 quarts of water to the pot
Add meat, bring to boil.
Simmer for 2.5 hours
Add Tomatoes, Rice, Onion, garlic and the juice from the limes.
Spice to taste

Simmer for 30 min, remove from heat & enjoy.

boobcheese

Pork Tenderloin

Here is an awesome recipe I came up with for pork tenderloin. I don't ever actually measure what I'm using so the measurements below are just rough guidelines and though you can obviously feel free to mix it up and make it more to your own, I would recommend you stick with the Sriracha hot sauce it has a very distinct flavor and can usually be found in the oriental section of the grocery store.

Combine:
1/2 stick of melted butter
1/2 12oz bottle of teriyaki glaze
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp soy
2 Tbsp Sriracha hot sauce

Throw a couple of pork tenderloins on the grill (they usually come 2 to a pack) and brush on the sauce. Rotate and baste about every 5-7min whilst enjoying your favorite malt beverage. Grill for around 30-40 min. It will come out a little blackened and crispy on the outside but will still be very tender inside. It goes well with wild rice.

*If you have the time to marinate it before hand use the same mixture above but omit the butter. You will still need to baste with the butter mix.

schwarti

Contributor
Bachelor's breakfast burrito

Just don't try one of these at sea. My dad made them one morning a few years back en route to Newport from Rye (Long Island Sound) - no wind, so we're under power. Very hot day, waves off the aft quarter so we're corkscrewing through the water, the diesel fumes, the engine vibration... not the best conditions for anyone. My buddy who had never been sailing before came along and since he'll eat anything, he didn't have a problem. My twin brother and I knew better. Sure enough, a few hours later, he starts getting that look... he lurches to the side and tries to jam his face into the toerail, I guess thinking that he had to puke through the scuppers? I dunno. We're yelling, "No, no, just go OVER the lifeline! Just do it!" He managed to get his head between the lifelines.

He felt better afterward, and so we get into Newport later that afternoon and we're sitting on a bench on the shore. He'd never been on the water for more than a few hours, so after a few days he's feeling the land not moving. He goes, "I feel a lot better, thanks guys." And puts his head between his legs and pukes again.

We tried to tell him it was a frozen-bagels and crackers kind of day, but he wouldn't listen... :D /threadjack

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
"PM me your email addy and I'll send them to you"

yep, me too.

and i'll mail you a bottle of your choosing for celebrating any event you should happen to choose.

Rasczak

Marine
Mushroom Burger

INGREDIENTS
  • 4 portobello mushroom caps
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 (1 ounce) slices provolone cheese
DIRECTIONS

Place the mushroom caps, smooth side up, in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour over the mushrooms. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or so, turning twice.

Preheat grill for medium-high heat.

Brush grate with oil. Place mushrooms on the grill, reserving marinade for basting. Grill for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, or until tender. Brush with marinade frequently. Top with cheese during the last 2 minutes of grilling.

Tasty. Of course, add whatever other toppings you would enjoy. I did romaine, spinach, tomato and avocado.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Anything with more than 3 ingredients is too complicated for me

Albacore tuna... straight out the can... 30g+ protein per 2oz.. yeah budday!