• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conning, Helmsmen, Port/Starboard Watch standing > what a awesome First Class Cruise

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
mules83 said:
I wanted to go on a aviation cruise mostly just to see how the aviation community ran.
And if you didnt like the aviaiton community you went to, would you not put in for aviaiton? I think we all know the answer to this...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
mules83 said:
We were asking to leave after we got back from NC. That was week 2.
Amazing ... I wonder if anyone can answer correctly: what would have happened to us "back-in-the-day" if we had "asked" to leave cruise ..... that's truly amazing. :)

mules83 said:
When you are underway, a week was more than enough time to see and get a clue on how SWO's lived and work. Being in Norfolk for two weeks doing nothing was a drag. Beach is ok (get that in FL) and bars can be found back where i live. I could of been back home working and earning money or be with my friends since this is my last summer as a free man; navy is going to own me next summer
Amazed again ... and possibly stunned. Why is it that you want to go into the Navy, again .... ??? None of this is any of my business --- but since you posted it .... at the risk of repeating myself .... I'm amazed. :)

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
bch said:
I totaly agree with this quote... EXCEPT...
Going to ERAU in NO WAY shows what Naval Aviation is about. Civi flying and the civi pilot community is in no way a good example of what it is like in a fleet sqd.

Agreed, but if you haven't gone on cortramid or second class cruise before and know you definately want to be an aviator, you should at least see what some other part the Navy does.

Also, If you didn't get aviation at service selection time and ended up going surface would you really want the first time you steped foot onto a Navy ship to be the day you report to it? At least this way he's got some tiny clue as to what he could expect if he gets selected to be a SWO.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Just out of curiosity, how often do ERAU students not get flight slots, is their selction rate pretty much the same as any other unit?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
i swear to god, if this turns in to some ERAU-fellating thread, it's toast.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
A4sForever said:
Amazing ... I wonder if anyone can answer correctly: what would have happened to us "back-in-the-day" if we had "asked" to leave cruise ..... that's truly amazing. :)

Amazed again ... and possibly stunned. Why is it that you want to go into the Navy, again .... ??? None of this is any of my business --- but since you posted it .... at the risk of repeating myself .... I'm amazed. :)

First of all, after that first week, we were doing absolutely nothing in port. I mean nothing. We would wake up, have a random meeting, and then have nothing to do. We went to the beach and then to bars. I think I saw around 6-7 movies at the theater. I could have earned money for books for college and money for my apartment (im a college programmer at college so nothing paid for), I could have been hanging with my friends before I head back to school next week, and I could have been flight instructing with students who were waiting for me to get back. I learned a lot that first week but there is only so much I can learn without starting my SWO pin signoffs.

illinijoe05 said:
And if you didnt like the aviaiton community you went to, would you not put in for aviaiton? I think we all know the answer to this...

not the whole aviation community, a side of it. Not everybody gets jets so I want to see how other communities were like p-3's or s-3's or c-9's. As i said before, a HSL squadron was on the cruiser with us and I learned ALOT about thier side and it changed what i thought about them.

Defiant85, you were there with me, feel free to chime in and explain how we could of spent our time so much better. Dont get me wrong airwarriors readers, the cruise was great, learned alot but when you have the chance to do something else which is more beneficial to yourself (and wont effect others/mission), you will want to do it.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
mules83 said:
not the whole aviation community, a side of it. Not everybody gets jets so I want to see how other communities were like p-3's or s-3's or c-9's. As i said before, a HSL squadron was on the cruiser with us and I learned ALOT about thier side and it changed what i thought about them.

time hack....

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
defiant85 said:
Maine sucked, the town we went to had only 2,000 people, the population increased by 15% when we got there. We found out later that the Senator who requested our visit was on the sea power subcomitee, which explains why we were there in the first place.

Ok I am coming to the rescue of my beloved home state. You got to visit a part of the country that lots of people pay lots of money to go visit. Belfast is like most towns in Maine, great place to live but you wouldnt want to visit for a weekend. There were options, if you had gotten downt o Portland and hit the Ol port you would be signing a different tune. I dont think I ever referred to a town that had a bar as sucking when I had been "haze gray and underway" for a while.
Just a question but doesnt how you do on your cruise have some impact on service selection? Im not sure sleeping and watching movies is what they have in mind for that.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Just a question but doesnt how you do on your cruise have some impact on service selection? Im not sure sleeping and watching movies is what they have in mind for that.

Not at all. Unless you do something REALLY stupid.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really, I thought that the 1/C cruise was an eval of some kind hmm well I learned me something today.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Really, I thought that the 1/C cruise was an eval of some kind hmm well I learned me something today.

I flew 3 times and spent most of mine on the beach. The squadron was transitioning aircraft and had no time for us. No eval is sent back to your unit until you were some uber-shining-star or a complete and total fvck up. Could be different for Academy.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
skidkid said:
Ok I am coming to the rescue of my beloved home state. You got to visit a part of the country that lots of people pay lots of money to go visit. Belfast is like most towns in Maine, great place to live but you wouldnt want to visit for a weekend. There were options, if you had gotten downt o Portland and hit the Ol port you would be signing a different tune. I dont think I ever referred to a town that had a bar as sucking when I had been "haze gray and underway" for a while.

Belfast was a beautiful town. We (the midshipmen) only spent 1 full day there so we didn’t play golf or do any biking/hiking (which I would have loved to do)that belfast had to offer. The bars (2) were good but when you cram a ship of drunken sailors into it, turns crazy.

Now about sleeping, again, the officers who most of them did surface cruises made it known that it was almost a tradition to sleep and watch tv. They did it and expected us to do it due to us not having to do much. I was told twice 'why are you up, go back to bed.' There was even a mock fire drill in our berthing and we were getting up and they just told us to 'go back to bed, it is fine.'

Im not aware of anything being sent back to our units unless we pushed the wrong button or something. When we left, the officers had nothing bad to say about us. We did what we were expected (some work here and there and just relax about being there)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
skidkid said:
Times have changed, I suppose, but it used to be. A written "fitrep" was returned to the Unit reflecting on your performance on 1C Cruise. The best guys got the best cruises, and the most was expected from them in return. It had a direct impact (can't remember the % weight) on your final selection upon graduation. :)