• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Confused about USCG vs USN and Pilot vs NFO; what would you do in my place?

m26

Contributor
Who is it here who has the sig, "A pilot is a pilot. An NFO is something else."?

Angels

Contributor
My recruiter was not very good at explaining.

I am going for the BDCP program. He said that I apply to be a pilot, then if selected, I would go to OCS after college, then to flight training. Ok. Great.

But I see you can either be a PILOT or a Naval Flight Officer (NFO).

So which do I Do? What is the difference between being a pilot, and a flight officer? I have googled, and searched here and I cant find anything. Maybe my search skills suck.

Thanks,

I think I can answer in your language. A pilot flies the plane and a NFO goes along for the ride. Uh oh..:watching2

Top Gun analogy: I think Tom Cruise was the pilot and the guy they killed off was the NFO.

@ Treetop Flyer: Sweet Google trick!

NAVYBM2

Contributor
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA, I knew this was going to happen!
I thought I should let this guy know what was coming, but this is just too much fun!
Cheers!!!

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Because they are two completely different branches which have independently determined required OCS curriculum's which are of different lengths?

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Why is the coast guard a 17 week OCS and the Navy a 12 week OCS?

Are you the same guy that asked the difference between a pilot and NFO when you'd already started the BDCP process?
I really hope this isn't a demonstration of your intelligence level.... or you're probably in trouble...

fusiongtx

Are you the same guy that asked the difference between a pilot and NFO when you'd already started the BDCP process?
I really hope this isn't a demonstration of your intelligence level.... or you're probably in trouble...

I really hope you weren't that kid in school that got picked on, so you have to flame over the internet to be cool. But I think I am hoping for too much there.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
I really hope you weren't that kid in school that got picked on, so you have to flame over the internet to be cool. But I think I am hoping for too much there.

Go read the little picture below my name and you'll understand why I'm reacting this way...

Come on dude....you can't seriously be asking these questions. You're applying for a job (with a commitment of 10 years minimum!) and you don't know what that job is!!!!! And THEN you ask a question about why the services are different?!?!

AND AND AND (for effect) you've been told to search MULTIPLE times.