• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conduct Unbecoming (what NOT to do while in a pool at PCola)

MasterBates

Well, in my experience, the civillian courts treat all accused of domestic violence guilty until they prove their innocence.

My ex accused me of beating her. I was arrested at work and brought out of my squadron in cuffs.

When her bruises were inconsistent with when I could have done anything, the criminal charges were dropped.

THEN she goes to get a restraining order.

She made claims I beat her on days I was out of the country. She made claims I threw her down the stairs. We lived in a one story house with NO STAIRS.

Her just saying "I am afraid of him" AT HER LAWYERS COACHING IN OPEN COURT RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE JUDGE got me a restraining order.

Because I was subject to a RO, I lost the right to carry firearms. I was not allowed to fly my aircraft, because it was considered a weapon. I had to spend $10k clearing my name just so I would not be thrown out of the Navy.

Civillian courts PERMANENTLY taking away rights and my career based only on accusations, is presuming guilt. I was never given a trial before my peers. NOT ONCE.

Fuck the legal system.. I'm still cleaning up after that shit 4 years later.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I was the focus of an Article 32 investigation much earlier in my career, and the USAF lawyer who was representing me told me that "in the UCMJ there is no presumption of innocence like in the civilian world."

The fact that it went to an Article 32 (vice a Grand Jury in the civilian world) is in-and-of itself proof of the presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

In the civilian world a closed session would decide if there was enough evidence to go to trial, in the military your lawyer got to stand up and make a case as to why it shouldn't even go to trial in the first place. Guessing since this isn't a story about a General Court-Martial he (you) won.

I think at the NJP/Summary Court-Martial level the military is probably a lot more restrictive than the civilian world, but IMO at the Special/General Court-Martial level the accused gets more protection than civilians do.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, in my experience, the civillian courts treat all accused of domestic violence guilty until they prove their innocence........Fuck the legal system.. I'm still cleaning up after that shit 4 years later.

Your bad experience doesn't mean the whole legal system is bad, just your lawyer and judge.

Angels

Contributor
Your bad experience doesn't mean the whole legal system is bad, just your lawyer and judge.
If only that were true. I agree with MB on this one. I am very close to someone who is going through something pretty similar. Everything out of her mouth is a lie. The majority of the judges don't even read the paperwork they just side with her because she is the woman.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
What does his lawyer have to do with it? It was the judge and the court, sometimes the legal system SUCKS! My ex was also a habitual liar, I thought the injustice would never end till her prior ex stood up for me.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
What does his lawyer have to do with it? It was the judge and the court, sometimes the legal system SUCKS! My ex was also a habitual liar, I thought the injustice would never end till her prior ex stood up for me.

Why'd you marry him if he was a "habitual" liar? He clearly lied to you.

magnetfreezer

Why'd you marry him if he was a "habitual" liar? He clearly lied to you.
I'm 99% sure AlphaEcho doesn't swing that way. Also, people that are habitual liars are often good at concealing it as well or only start when it will gain them something/the relationship gets difficult. Kind of like someone appears to only be an ENS in NASC but is actually a fully trained Navy JAG and expert on the UCMJ to include Article 88 and professional officership.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If only that were true. I agree with MB on this one. I am very close to someone who is going through something pretty similar. Everything out of her mouth is a lie. The majority of the judges don't even read the paperwork they just side with her because she is the woman.

There are always two sides of the story, just because we are relentlessly regaled with one side does mean it was the right one. That is not to say MB was not screwed hard, I think he was, but to assign blame solely to our legal system is a bit too simplistic.

He got screwed so bad I can only assume that his lawyer was at least partly at fault.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree MB got screwed big time, though having known several women who have dealt with things like sexual assault and whatnot I can see why the law is the way it is. No one wants to come back and find someone dead (woman or man) because a restraining order wasn't effectively carried out. That said, I just wonder how we can put safeguards in place to prevent people from getting royally screwed because a judge or someone didn't fully investigate a claim of abuse.

ryan1234

I agree MB got screwed big time, though having known several women who have dealt with things like sexual assault and whatnot I can see why the law is the way it is. No one wants to come back and find someone dead (woman or man) because a restraining order wasn't effectively carried out. That said, I just wonder how we can put safeguards in place to prevent people from getting royally screwed because a judge or someone didn't fully investigate a claim of abuse.

How effective are restraining orders? It just doesn't sound like it will actually prevent someone who is determined to hurt the other party.

peachesnel

Back to the original post... this clown seems pretty guilty. And so do the bird-shooting clowns. How are they still in the Navy?! They just instituted the 5-failure-total rule for us and these guys are on admin hold?! I understand that there are too many JO's in the pipeline. Got it. But how are people in advanced going to FPC/IPC's the month before winging when these guys are still hanging out waiting to start school again?