• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conduct during colors

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Okay,

So, had a small issue come up earlier, and just wanted some secondary input, mainly due to the response. So, myself and approximately eight others were on the back porch of the HT squadrons this morning as colors was conducted (note: the back porch is a covered area). So, the vast majority of us stood at attention towards the nearest flag, obviously not saluting as none of us were covered. However, two people decided they would just simply depart the pattern and walk inside. I took note, went inside at the conclusion of colors, and told them I thought it was unprofessional to skirt indoors as colors was being conducted. Their response was that they were told 'from a prior' that if they're under a covered area they should just walk inside.

I did a little cursory look, but couldn't find anything, and think that this response is just utter crap. I think it's completely disrespectful, and ridiculous behavior for anyone in the military. Anyone else ever heard of just going inside if under a covered area?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Okay,

So, had a small issue come up earlier, and just wanted some secondary input, mainly due to the response. So, myself and approximately eight others were on the back porch of the HT squadrons this morning as colors was conducted (note: the back porch is a covered area). So, the vast majority of us stood at attention towards the nearest flag, obviously not saluting as none of us were covered. However, two people decided they would just simply depart the pattern and walk inside. I took note, went inside at the conclusion of colors, and told them I thought it was unprofessional to skirt indoors as colors was being conducted. Their response was that they were told 'from a prior' that if they're under a covered area they should just walk inside.

I did a little cursory look, but couldn't find anything, and think that this response is just utter crap. I think it's completely disrespectful, and ridiculous behavior for anyone in the military. Anyone else ever heard of just going inside if under a covered area?

Yeah, I take issue with that too. I am by no means a "Lead LTJG" looking to correct my peers for trivial shit, but it bugs me when people avoid colors.

The odd time that I was on the back porch during colors, I did what you did. One or two times, if I was just waiting for an IP momentarily and had nothing else to do, I'd actually throw the cover on, walk around the corner so the flag was visible, and render the appropriate salute. Call me sentimental, but I have pride wearing the uniform and having the honor as a servicemember to salute the flag, so I enjoy doing it.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
On that same note: back when I was in API there were a bunch of students who would be parked and about to get out of their cars, hear the Anthem, and then proceed to remain in their cars while others got out and saluted.

Bugged the crap out of me every time I saw it happen.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Concur...it is crap. The "prior" was probably the same dude that would run inside after First Call to avoid colors or would cross the street to avoid the salute for the approaching officer.

Walk inside for a covered area...wtf does that mean???

You were proper in the way you rendered your "salute."

This won't be the last time you see such buffoonery. Correct it as you see fit. It is hard for anyone to argue when you are right.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
If you are in your car and colors sounds, there is nothing wrong with staying in your car... just don't start driving. Etiquette says that if you are in vehicle, bring it to a complete stop and wait.

As for being in a covered porch or an outdoor "uncovered" area, come to attention, face the Flag or music and remain at attention until carry on has sounded.

Don't book it for the indoors.

At least that was what I was taught.

Bubba out.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are in your car and colors sounds, there is nothing wrong with staying in your car... just don't start driving. Etiquette says that if you are in vehicle, bring it to a complete stop and wait.

As for being in a covered porch or an outdoor "uncovered" area, come to attention, face the Flag or music and remain at attention until carry on has sounded.

Bubba out.
This. Those who duck indoors need a swift kick in the jimmy. Utter crap.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If POWs in Vietnam could sew a flag just to say the pledge of allegiance every night, and keep a part of "America" with them, even after being tortured mercilessly for doing so... you can get the fuck up and stand at attention for a couple seconds on a muggy Milton morning. Again.. sometimes the "little things" bug me.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor

Huh. Well, I guess I stand corrected then. It seemed disrespectful to me though, just waiting it out in their cars. They were parked and off, which, to me, says that they should get out and render honors. But, if proper etiquette says to stay in and wait it out, then there we go, I guess.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Huh. Well, I guess I stand corrected then. It seemed disrespectful to me though, just waiting it out in their cars. They were parked and off, which, to me, says that they should get out and render honors. But, if proper etiquette says to stay in and wait it out, then there we go, I guess.

Proper etiquette says don't duck out on colors. If you're outside, don't sprint to make it inside. If you're out of your car, don't duck back in. Just don't duck out on colors. That's proper etiquette. Nothing wrong with sitting in a car if you're already there.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
However, two people decided they would just simply depart the pattern and walk inside. I took note, went inside at the conclusion of colors, and told them I thought it was unprofessional to skirt indoors as colors was being conducted. Their response was that they were told 'from a prior' that if they're under a covered area they should just walk inside.

You could approach it from another angle. Insert (unofficially, but make it look official) a "standing" order to the HT-18/8 SDO binders saying that they must find three "door blockers" for morning colors. The door blockers will ensure that any colors-evaders receive a face full of door for their attempt. Then, of course, find lots of reasons to stand outside and watch.

Lawman

None

Bubba out.

Your Regs must be a little different than ours. On any Army post when Colors are played your expected to get out of your car, face the direction of the music or the Garrison Flag and Salute if in Uniform.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Army base regs are in fact different than navy base regs when it comes to colors.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I thoroughly feel the need to kick people in the junk for crap like that. How hard is it to show some freakin respect! See if they act like that after SERE...

phrogpilot73

Your Regs must be a little different than ours. On any Army post when Colors are played your expected to get out of your car, face the direction of the music or the Garrison Flag and Salute if in Uniform.
It kind of makes sense. Once colors starts, you are to be at the POA. How do you remain at the POA while getting out of your car? Here's what I was taught:

Render honors for colors when not involved in PT, working party, etc...
Face the flag, or the direction of the music if you can't see the flag.
POA, if covered - Salute.
If in an automobile, pull over and sit at the POA inside your vehicle.
Cut salute at the conclusion of the last note (I've seen dudes wait until "Carry On" and can't help but laugh).

Ducking into a building is douche-baggery in its highest. They are officers and are going to be setting examples for the young sailors in the fleet. Correct them. Oh - and if they have a problem with it - let me know. My CO is currently inbound for the Fleet Fly In and will be happy to rip 'em a new one...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It kind of makes sense. Once colors starts, you are to be at the POA. How do you remain at the POA while getting out of your car? Here's what I was taught:

Render honors for colors when not involved in PT, working party, etc...
Face the flag, or the direction of the music if you can't see the flag.
POA, if covered - Salute.
If in an automobile, pull over and sit at the POA inside your vehicle.
Cut salute at the conclusion of the last note (I've seen dudes wait until "Carry On" and can't help but laugh).

Ducking into a building is douche-baggery in its highest. They are officers and are going to be setting examples for the young sailors in the fleet. Correct them. Oh - and if they have a problem with it - let me know. My CO is currently inbound for the Fleet Fly In and will be happy to rip 'em a new one...

I've seen this a lot, and I was surprised to see a lot of Marines doing it at the Miramar airshow. Thought you guys were supposed to set the example on stuff like that. ;)

Last note, drop salute. Sounding of Carry on..... carry on.