• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Computing NSS Quesstimate

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
I still don't see why it matters to know what your GPA/NSS is. If you're trying as hard as you can and availing yourself of every resource at your disposal, what good does it do? I'm not trying to be a smartass, so if you feel it helps you, by all means do so. I just felt that knowing my standing would hurt me mentally. If I found out I was doing well, knowing that might make me slack off. If I found out I was doing poorly, I'd be even more stressed out. All I could do at the time was study like hell and get whatever extra sim time I could for practice. I knew what my weak points were, so if the opportunity came up to work on something, I did (like with a cool IP on an x/c).

If you know you're sucking and you IP's know you're sucking, they can get you extra help. Extra sims or even extra flights. Knowing how many aboves in stage you need also tells you how much more time you need to spend in practice sims. If you don't know your grades and just assume that you suck, you will spend all of your time in the practice sim and won't have enough time for recreation.

But then in primary (AF style) I had no clue how much or how little I sucked until I got my NSS at the end.

DaRevrend

USAF T-34 Stud
Thought I'd bump the thread with some current info for AF VT-3 types as of 4 Jan 07:

Final Ratio: 1.162
Projected NSS (with *400-400): 64.8
Final NSS: 68.4 (if I remember right..I was just told ballpark 69 for fun)
Track Select: T-38s
Total Time from GS to Trng Complete: 19.5 weeks

I'm stoked to have this opportunity and wish everyone the best and a happy new year! Fly AF.

Rev

THRILLER

Just for Poops and Giggles,

I went up to STUCON today to get a print-out of my scores. There are two "raw" scores (one for Flights and one for sims). At the bottom is the overall raw score grade.

My question is how do they take these two raw scores from the sims and flights, and then come up with the actual "Overall Grade" raw score of 1.xxx?

Sounds like black magic to me.

Peace,

THRILLER

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Poops and giggles?? Must be an AF thing I guess.

I just became primary complete and got my NSS and figured I'd give an update.

Ratio: 1.115
NSS using equation: 46
Actual NSS: 50.06
Track Select: (update tomorrow)

BurghGuy

Master, I put:
P3s
Jets
Helos
(Considered putting E2s for a while instead of jets... really low jet grades... but two weeks ago my buddy got them with a 51 NSS, so I figured its at least worth a shot.)

Thriller, I'm over in -6.

Well, off to the selection day festivities. Will report back sometime later.

Edit: It's now official, I have selected Helos. I'm excited to be headed for south field. Time to get drunk. Later.

BurghGuy

Really, they had us come in at 0900 for a 15 min checkout process, then we have to sit around till like 1400 for the CO to give us a brief and then get told what we got. You know it's selection day when theres about half a dozen guys (and/or gals) sitting around the ready room shooting the breeze for 5 hours.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
thought I would give an update to all this mumbojumbo

Projected NSS: 54
Ratio 1.125
400*1.125-400=50
actual NSS 45
And I was one of the lucky ones, some people's have been dropping 13-15 points from projected to actual...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And I was one of the lucky ones, some people's have been dropping 13-15 points from projected to actual...

This seems to be the trend lately. Kind of weird. I guess it's making up for all the 60's and 70's that were going around in March/April.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
thought I would give an update to all this mumbojumbo

Projected NSS: 54
Ratio 1.125
400*1.125-400=50
actual NSS 45

When were you given your projected NSS? And which squadron were you in? I havn't heard of the guys in 6 getting anything projected - Im into RIs and have heard nothing of my own... Just curious. Thanks.