• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Computers at TBS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-man

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that it was wise to take a laptop with you to TBS. I plan on taking a computer of sorts if I make it (still need to go to OCS), but I was wondering, would it be better to take a laptop, or a tablet PC?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
doesn't really matter either way.
there isnt a ton of desk space, so if you have a big monitor, a desktop could be an issue (on some under-rack desks). otherwise, no one carries a computer to class or anything so portability isn't an issue. Just make sure you have a printer, and if possible, get one of those all-in-one printer/copier/scanners b/c the copier feature will be very handy.

also, all you can get is dialup, and sketchy dialup at that (at least that's all they had a couple years ago).... so have fun with that.

KBayDog

It's no different these days, squeeze. I graduated in Jan, and for the last two months or so, you could not drink the water in any TBS building due to excess lead...EXCEPT O'Bannon...hmmm. No kidding - they had a water bull parked outside the classrooms, by the soda machines.

Check out the Feb edition of MC Gazette; one of the company commanders wrote an article about the pipe dream they have of "modernizing" TBS buildings.

Killer2

TRONS!
None
Such wonderful things to look forward to. Personally can not wait myself. I think I will transfer to some school near good 'ol Q-town to finish my degree and be closer to the place I love.

Now that my meds have worn off and the delusion is over, are the classes setup for the whole company (OCS style/Big Gym with tables) or they broken down to Plt level (Cozy Classrooms)?

KBayDog

Killer2 said:
Now that my meds have worn off and the delusion is over, are the classes setup for the whole company (OCS style/Big Gym with tables) or they broken down to Plt level (Cozy Classrooms)?

I thought you said the delusion was over?

Classes are mostly whole company (200-250), but occasionally you will find yourselves broken down into platoons, at which time you will be in a classroom, "library," laundry room, broom closet, wall locker, or wherever else you can find "space" to have a productive class. Have fun.

KBayDog

I know I paint a bleak picture of Camp Barrett, but I am just being honest. The facilities are pitiful, and it is a crying shame. The facilities are very heavily used and the "BOQ" is always full, but it boggles my mind how such a high-profile place could have fallen into such disrepair.

I hope the renovation project gets underway, and SOON.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
If it makes sense. . .

KBayDog said:
I know I paint a bleak picture of Camp Barrett, but I am just being honest. The facilities are pitiful, and it is a crying shame. The facilities are very heavily used and the "BOQ" is always full, but it boggles my mind how such a high-profile place could have fallen into such disrepair.

I hope the renovation project gets underway, and SOON.
Oh don't hold your breath.

Yes the long overdue new housing is underway, but I remember a few years ago some lance corporal said to me, "Sir, you know they have enough money to build a new Naval Medical Clinic, but they don't have money to build new base housing." The thing is, someone told me the old Naval Clinic (or old hospital as it was) was still a VERY CAPABLE facility.

My point? You probably learned in TBS, "If it makes sense, it's WRONG." That's probably how some desk driver feels about the Camp Barrett facilities. Like TBS, the fascilities won't be joining the dinosaur soon, nor will they be given any real upgrades :( .

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
squeeze said:
doesn't really matter either way.
there isnt a ton of desk space, so if you have a big monitor, a desktop could be an issue (on some under-rack desks). otherwise, no one carries a computer to class or anything so portability isn't an issue. Just make sure you have a printer, and if possible, get one of those all-in-one printer/copier/scanners b/c the copier feature will be very handy.

also, all you can get is dialup, and sketchy dialup at that (at least that's all they had a couple years ago).... so have fun with that.

They have DSL now, but its not all that great. It cuts off several times a day, sometimes you have to go into your network settings and manually repair it. But, it's worlds faster than dial-up.

jbelsha53

USMC NFO
None
actually, right before i left i remember hearing that Comcast was finally offering cable internet, so y'all might want to check that out - cable is always better than DSL.

Could have just been that big fat cable guy lying to me, though ;)

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
jbelsha53 said:
actually, right before i left i remember hearing that Comcast was finally offering cable internet, so y'all might want to check that out - cable is always better than DSL.

Could have just been that big fat cable guy lying to me, though ;)

Yeah he was lying to you. No cable internet yet. Still sucky DSL.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Give me a break....At least you have phones in your rooms and you don't have to wait in line for the phone center or the 2 pay phones in the duty office. Not that it matters considering anymore due to cell phones.
Is it true they are issuing Palm Pilots to all the Butter Bars? Semper Fly, Frumby

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Frumby said:
Give me a break....At least you have phones in your rooms and you don't have to wait in line for the phone center or the 2 pay phones in the duty office. Not that it matters considering anymore due to cell phones.
Is it true they are issuing Palm Pilots to all the Butter Bars? Semper Fly, Frumby

No, Sir, they are not. In fact, Palm Pilots and the like are strictly forbidden from the classrooms. Now, if you were joking, well then, touche!

perchul

I know the Navy is issuing them to new officers, I'm not sure about all but at least the guys going nuke.

Crowbar

None
Long time, no see, Frumby. NROTC/MECEP graduates are getting issued Palm Pilots. At least in some places they are....

Besides, I do remember (not here though) waiting in long ass lines at the phone center because we didn't have phones in our rooms. Of course, that was about the same time I used to think What the **** is the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.