• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Community Transitions

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Out of curiosity:

It looks like there might be two schools of thought as to the timing for least detrimental impact:
1.) Late in JO tour. Ensures highest likely hood of #1 EP, and gets you into and then out of the clown planes the fastest.
2.) Early in your 1st sea tour. Avoids possible backlash from a community proud CO.

It would seem to me that early in your shore tour might be best. An opportunity for one more observed FITREP before going NOB, and potentially avoiding fallout from people in your community who would take offense to you leaving. Also getting a little bit of shore tour time so that when you are compared to others later on you look a bit more like them?

Just my thought... Am I missing something? Or does that say 1 year in the VTs or on a staff not really mean much?

Wherever you are on your shore tour is probably undermanned, or is nearly so. You may have a hard time convincing the CO to let you go transition then. so if you wait until late in your shore tour, your timing is now bad.

I also think waiting for your shore tour will make your timing difficult. What I saw with my own transition and the rest of the S-3 transition guys is those who transitioned near the end of their 1st sea tour have done better/had an easier transition than those who went later. Of course with the Viking Communuty, we didn't have the community proud CO threat. We were all transitioning & a board at the Bureau decided when for us.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
The S-3 transitions were a different creature - people wanting to transition from a still-living community just cannot expect the support that the S-3 guys got. In 18 years I've only seen a couple people pull of a transition from one 1310 community to another without serious issues. Having said that, everybody's goals are different. I do know a few more folks who at least made O-4 and managed to do a fair amount of flying on the way to their 20 after a helo-jets transition.

No matter how intent you are on transitioning, I would strongly suggest that you keep it to yourself on your first sea tour and do not put your chance at a competitive EP in jeopardy. Chances to transition prior to within a year of your wings+whatever-it-is-these-days seem to be pretty rare these days, so you might want to keep your options as open as possible.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I do know a few more folks who at least made O-4 and managed to do a fair amount of flying on the way to their 20 after a helo-jets transition.

Just from my 10 years in, and approaching the end of the dissassoc. tour...The helo community is thirsting for DHs right now...can't imagine this happening anytime soon. Also, considering that the DH selection rate for VFA/VP is so significantly low, I doubt that this is as viable of an option these days.

No matter how intent you are on transitioning, I would strongly suggest that you keep it to yourself on your first sea tour and do not put your chance at a competitive EP in jeopardy. Chances to transition prior to within a year of your wings+whatever-it-is-these-days seem to be pretty rare these days, so you might want to keep your options as open as possible.

I guess this is good advice, as you're chance of transitioning without an EP is going to be tough. But, I'm in a transition in my life that recently realized that I only have 10 years left in this great Navy...the time is so short, might as well do what you want...so part of me says to let your CO know what you want. If he's worth anything, he'll do whatever he can to make your wishes come true. But if he's really just looking for what's best for him, and not anyone of his JOs, then you'll regret doing this.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Chunks, who is your avatar. I've seen that somewhere before.

haha...got it in a spam email...thought it was appropriate for most of my responses here...then got this from my profile : From Mos: You were wondering who the babe is in your avatar. I was too. Looks like she's a stock photography model. I don't know her name, but found her photographer's profile.
Your original image here: http://www.123rf.com/photo_2505693_p...ackground.html

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Looks like Katie Morgan.

...And to answer everyone's next question, no relation.

MasterBates

Dude, I just got cable for the first time since 2005 last week, and they have not been able to come out and take the traps off so I can get anything other than basic.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Does all of this same information apply to NFO > Pilot transitions? Or is there something in their career path that allows them to avoid the drawbacks of a platform transition?

IRfly

None
Does all of this same information apply to NFO > Pilot transitions? Or is there something in their career path that allows them to avoid the drawbacks of a platform transition?

I can't speak much for the timing, but generally you won't get hated on for being an NFO wanting to go pilot. I've known a couple guys to make the switch (or attempt to), and their commands were supportive. Of course, if you don't plan on coming back to the same community, you might not want to broadcast that fact :).

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I can certainly understand no backlash from superiors, but what about career timing obstacles?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I can certainly understand no backlash from superiors, but what about career timing obstacles?

I saw two NFO->pilot studs in the HTs, and had a SWO retread as an onwing. All were selected for DH. They cut out their Disassoc tour and shortened their first sea tour to adjust for timing.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

If you can manage the 'sustained superior performance' then a transition may not hurt you.
I know of a couple of folks who transitioned within the helo communities and still managed to get command.
I know of a few folks who were SWO or Sub Drivers when they got commissioned but still managed to get an aviation command.

The biggest factor is if you can manage to get the milestones accomplished and still get great FITREPS.
For the folks who come into aviation, their dissociated sea tour was down while they were ensigns (as SWOs or Submariners). To be able to get the transition into aviation they needed great FITREPS from their respective first commands. So they have that check in the block addressed.

The difficulty transitioning from Helos/VP to VFA is the time it takes to get through the VT's and RAG. By the time you get back to the fleet your a senior LT/baby-LCDR and you really have difficulty trying to break out against the guys who have been in that aircraft for 8-10 years already.

You may have a good shot at DH, but when you get there, you are behind the power curve with your contemporaries. The command screen looks at your DH fitrep first. If your fitrep from your DH tour is a solid MP with an EP out the door, you will not get command. When you arrive as a 2nd tour JO/baby-DH, you will have zero quals, therefore competing against guys who are SWTIs, RAG IP's and LSOs will be extremely difficult.

As the troops say, choose your rate and choose your fate. There will always be exceptions to the rule, but my advice would be if you REALLY want command of a squadron, then you shouldn't consider a transition within aviation. If you really want to fly a different aircraft and consequences be-dammed, then by all means, apply for the transition.