• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Community Transfer from Helos to E6s/P8s?

Tanhauser0621

pilot
Has anyone ever known someone to transfer out of Helo community to E6s/P8s? Specifically during/after their first sea tour.

My understanding is community transfers had to occur after high water and before you were projected to leave your squadron. My question is how much in advance?

Thanks in advance

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot

Old results aren’t archived there, but the program manager may know more about history and likelihood of transferring from glorious helos to big fat planes. The instruction and Dec 2020 message are in the links.

OscarMyers

None
Has anyone ever known someone to transfer out of Helo community to E6s/P8s? Specifically during/after their first sea tour.

My understanding is community transfers had to occur after high water and before you were projected to leave your squadron. My question is how much in advance?

Thanks in advance

Not sure about the small timing window, but I do know a guy who transitioned from 60s to Growlers and was selected while he was a VT IP.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Same recommendation as above about talking to the community mangers. I too have known several to go from helos to VAQ either during their first JO tour or during their instructor tour. I have known even more to go VR but that is typically sometime during their 3rd tour.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Thanks in advance

The normal way to 'transfer' is to apply for a transition, they used to hold a 'board' twice a year dependent on whether they needed it or not though sometimes they suspended the boards when a community was shutting down (like S-3's) and there were a lot of transitions from that. The numbers when I did it were very small, usually about 20-30 a board, and it seemed to be more of an incentive thing than a manning solution. The majority of transitions when I did it were helo buys going to fixed wing with some P-3 types transitioning to TACAIR.

While it is officially a board in reality it was the two communities, the detailers and community managers really, getting together and determining whether your current community could let you go numbers-wise and if the new one could use you along with whether you did a good job in your first community.

As for timing, as long as you were fully qual'd in your first community you were cleared to put in for a transition board, but most folks I know who did it put in for it early on in their first shore tour. Why? You had to get a sign-off from your CO as part of the application and some squadron CO's seemed to frown on transition packages. My community was full of folks who started out in another community so my CO was enthusiastic, but our sister squadron's CO told his wardroom he wouldn't sign off any that got to his desk.

If you are interested in transitioning there are a few previous threads on it that explain the pluses and minuses, along with some advice on how to approach it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How many guys transfer from stagnant-wing the hovering glory of RW? ?

Not sure if joking or not but...none in the transition boards that I saw. The only ones I know of were some NFO-pilot transitions, but that is a different ballgame.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Not sure if joking or not but...none in the transition boards that I saw. The only ones I know of were some NFO-pilot transitions, but that is a different ballgame.
Mostly joking...but thanks for the answer. Interesting.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
How many guys transfer from stagnant-wing the hovering glory of RW? ?

We had an E-6B driver come through helo advanced when I was an IP there. Guy said he just always wanted helos but was drafted for E-6s. Seems like one of the most unlikely pairings of coincidence ever.

Edit: I see several others beat me to it.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Right now we have five helo to VFA or VAQ transitions in my squadron alone. Several more down the hall. I've heard it's a mix of HSC cutting numbers to head off their smaller footprint in the future and VFA needing bodies. Strike while the iron is hot.

Tanhauser0621

pilot
We had an E-6B driver come through helo advanced when I was an IP there. Guy said he just always wanted helos but was drafted for E-6s. Seems like one of the most unlikely pairings of coincidence ever.

Edit: I see several others beat me to it.

Weird I had a 50 NSS, no fails or anything... aggressively average, but not turd mode... I was drafted to Helos. Not even on my sheet.

I had E6s first. Would’ve given my left nut to do it too.

Never heard of anyone being “drafted” fixed wing.