• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commissioning Ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies.

motiv8r

I am in the process of planning my commissioning ceremony. I'm doing it the day before graduation at my college. I had some questions about it that I haven't been able to figure out via the internet. I don't want to bother my OSO with the nitty gritty details since he has enough work on his hands as it is; besides, I'm sure there are other people out there who have the same questions as I do who would benefit from reading this.

How long does the ceremony usually take?

Is there usually a master of ceremonies? I.e. someone who runs the show and says, "and now for the reading of the warrant" "and now for the first salute" etc.?

Is this the correct order of the ceremony: reading of the commissioning warrant, taking the oath of office, rendering of the first salute.

How much formal movements should go into the ceremony, ie facing movements etc.

Do the National Anthem/Marines Hymn have to be played?

Can one person read the warrant for more than one person at a time? In other words, can they insert two names into the "insert name here" part of the document as it is read aloud?

Any info on the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

--Moto

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
My ceremony was short and sweet. I walked into the commissioning room, followed by the SSGT and took my place in front of the OSO. He read my commissioning warrant, my wife pinned on my bars, the SSGT saluted me, I handed him the silver dollar, I saluted my OSO, then he shook my hand. That's it. Maybe someone else had a more "elaborate" ceremony will chime in.

ZGXtreme

Corporal of Grunts
I have heard you can basically do it anywhere and really in any manner... should I believe that the newly commissioned can dictate such things as long as the OSO is in an agreement and willing to go along with it.

Basically, I wanted to do a SMALL actual commissioning... OSO, mom, dad, etc. at my grandparents gravesite. Get pinned in cammies by mom and dad (remove Cpl. chevrons, pin on bars) then salute my grandfathers grave (SFC Korea Verteran, invited to West Point but declined) and leave my grandfather the coin.

Afterwards, have a luncheon with friends and family that will have supported me through Enlisted, Iraq and then college and OCS. And get pinned in blue/whites there.

That a feasible idea?

In actuality it is a moot point as it would be a ways away, but then again that is the biggest goal you have to aim for, being appointed a Marine Officer.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
motiv8r said:
I am in the process of planning my commissioning ceremony. I'm doing it the day before graduation at my college. I had some questions about it that I haven't been able to figure out via the internet. I don't want to bother my OSO with the nitty gritty details since he has enough work on his hands as it is; besides, I'm sure there are other people out there who have the same questions as I do who would benefit from reading this.

How long does the ceremony usually take?

Is there usually a master of ceremonies? I.e. someone who runs the show and says, "and now for the reading of the warrant" "and now for the first salute" etc.?

Is this the correct order of the ceremony: reading of the commissioning warrant, taking the oath of office, rendering of the first salute.

How much formal movements should go into the ceremony, ie facing movements etc.

Do the National Anthem/Marines Hymn have to be played?

Can one person read the warrant for more than one person at a time? In other words, can they insert two names into the "insert name here" part of the document as it is read aloud?

Any info on the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

--Moto

Actually, you probably should talk to your OSO about it, because that is still part of his responsibility. I remember when I was commissioned, I couldn't have my OSO there because he was doing 2 other commissioning ceremonies across the state, but he was calling me every week making sure I was setting things up correctly, that I had a commissioned officer to conduct the ceremony, etc. He should give you a schedule for the ceremony to work with.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
This is your commissioning!! Make sure you are happy with the result and dont let your oso have any undue influence.

For my ceremony 2 Marines and 5 or 6 Navy:

1. Ahead of time all involved agree on location (sky is the limit) and basic 'flow' of ceremony. We had beverages and finger foods available (ours was right after our graduation ceremony so everybody was 2-3 hours or more from their last meal)

2. we marched up and stood in front of the families and friends and stayed their at parade rest for the duration of the ceremony

3. National anthem

4. invocation

5. CO's remarks (we were an ROTC unit) : congratulates everyone including parents and family for supporting ENS or 2 nd LT XXX over the last several years blah blah blah
explains oath to family

6 One by one we were sworn in individually by our officer of choice (DO NOT DO THIS WITH MORE THAN ONE PERSON AT A TIME...trust me)

7 Family pins on rank

8 First salute giving of coin (GET A REAL SILVER DOLLAR...they dont 'make them anymore so you will have to search for them...ie coin shops ebay..)

9 Each newly commissioned officer says a few SHORT remarks (I rec. 3 min's or less)

10. Return to your place in the formation....next person goes

11. play anchors away and whatever the hell the Marines call their tune :icon_smil

12. end ceremony hugs and kisses all around!!

Depending on number of people 1-2 hours tops
hope this helps.....Disclaimer....this is what I remember

Midshipmanjosh

I had a question on this subject. I am going to OCS this summer for the 10 combined increment, but i won't graduate from college for another year (april of 06). This being the case, what uniform do i get to wear for commisioning? Is it just going to be the cammies? Or do i have a "nice" uniform (serivce alphas?)?

Also, is there a graduation from OCS? Something that friends and family and come to?

Thanks.

klostman

the happy dance!
you can commission in service alpahs, blue dress alphas, your cammies, I've even heard of some commissioning in a suit in their parents living room. OCCer's commission in service alpahs I believe. You will have a graduation from OCS in which you march across the parade deck. Family and friends are more than welcome.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
At OCS your graduation is in cammies. For PLC, if there are guys who are able to be commisioned I believe they have a ceremony at Little Hall after the OCS graduation and they wear alphas.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you do it back home pick a uniform we did ours PLC and ROTC as one big commisionig in blues with sam brown. Any commisioned officer or RETIRED officer can administer the oath. Five years then off to 1st Civ Div is not retired-learned this the hard way

Taxman2A

War were declared.
klostman said:
you can commission in service alpahs, blue dress alphas, your cammies, I've even heard of some commissioning in a suit in their parents living room.

You've heard of people getting commissioned in a civilian suit?

klostman

the happy dance!
my OSO told me he did it before in the guys parents living room. For one reason or another, they did it in a suit.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I was under the impression you couldn't get it done in Cammies w/ Enlisted rank being taken off and Officer rank being put on, the way ZGX described.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Pcola04/30 said:
8 First salute giving of coin (GET A REAL SILVER DOLLAR...they dont 'make them anymore so you will have to search for them...ie coin shops ebay..)

They actually do still make silver dollars, although getting one from e-bay isn't a bad idea either. If you want a brand new one, try the US mint webpage (http://catalog.usmint.gov/). The website was down when I tried just now, but I got mine from there. My suggestion (if you are going to render the first salute to someone you know/care about and said person intends to keep the coin for sentimental reasons) is to get the proof version of the dollar in one of the protective plastic cases. Will keep it looking brand new forever and will cost you around $30 if I remember correctly.

If you go the e-bay route you can get the coin from a year that has some meaning to you. Your birth year, year you joined as enlisted, or the year of your commissioning. Note that getting this year's coin is not always possible, as they don't come out until part way through the year.

Bottom line, start early and find a cool (real) silver dollar. Don't go with the lame gold dollar coins, it just isn't the same.

slvdlr_box_2005_750.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.