• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Combat Time . . . .

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
Those USAF types have got it with the ribbons and medals tho.

You see a USAF E-4 with a full rack of PRT participation, GMT training extra credit, etc. O-3s that looks like Russian General!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
When I was an IP at HT-18, I had a USAF F-15 driver named Don "Muddy" Watrous as a student (AF guy, going through test syllabus, needed helo transition syllabus, Army couldn't accommodate so he came to us). Being the senior helo Stan guy in TW-5 at the time, I got Muddy as a student for his entire transition. He had MIG-23 kill during DS and the story was amazing. Great guy and amazing pilot. His MIG kill is documented here

We took a TH-57 from Whiting all the way up to Chicago, just the two of us, for a week and banged out a bunch of syllabus hops. All the while enjoying his combat stories.

Muddy gave me the ride of a lifetime in two seat F-15 -we flew a syllabus hop out of Whiting, went from Eastern Instrument Area to Eglin, stepped out of our teeny TH-57, strapped into a F-15, flew over the GOM doing ACM with another F-15, tanked, came back and had lunch then strapped back into the mighty TH-57 for the flight back to KNDZ.

Good times.

@HackerF15E probably knows him...

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That . . . is the most horrible excuse for English I have ever seen on an allegedly-professional news site. I half-expected the last paragraph to tell me a Nigerian prince needed my help moving money. Good grief; if English isn't the writer's first language, they should hire a freaking editor!

Pags

N/A
pilot
That . . . is the most horrible excuse for English I have ever seen on an allegedly-professional news site. I half-expected the last paragraph to tell me a Nigerian prince needed my help moving money. Good grief; if English isn't the writer's first language, they should hire a freaking editor!
A Nigerian prince does need your help. Please send checks payable to "cash" to my home address and I'll forward them on to him. Just wanted to save you to the trouble of mailing internationally.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor

Content farm repost of a blog article by what seems to be a native Italian.

isshinwhat

None
I think the answer lies in the term "queep" and to maybe a lesser extent, the "empowerment" of every non-rater, to include everyone from ratey three stripers to "NCO's", all of which are experiencing regular micro aggressions while trying to argue outside their lane, and then finding the sympathetic ear of a bunch of no load non-rated officers who throw up a shitstorm. At least that has been my impression. Put another way, misplaced professional priorities, and an erosion of military customs and courtesies, bearing, and all that other shit in favor of an egalitarian society.

This pretty much sums it up. I have been out right at a year (medical, not voluntary) but the Squadron I was in provides a unique look into the AF as a whole because of its structure. First, leadership opportunities were plentiful because of the size of the Squadron and its O/E mix. A Flight Commander had the opportunity to lead 60 Officers and Enlisted at home and deployed, the various shop leadership generally had 10 or more, there was ample opportunity to fly (2-3 times per week at home station, employing ordnance on most sorties), and almost all of our work was joint. The squadron was also the most deployed sq, within the most deployed wing in the AF. We had a TSgt complete his 23rd combat deployment last Fall. He closed out with around ~3950 combat hours. We did what we trained for, and we did it often. There was opportunity for leadership early, and growth inside and out of the sq.

We were lucky to have good leadership that pushed back against useless requirements and had them reduced, but the extra queep that they couldn't do anything about began to apply lot of unnecessary pressure. For example, the necessity of having a Masters before Majors board now meant that people were put in the position of competing to see who got them done first. A 1Lt on his first deployment should be studying tactics and learning everything he can from anyone who will talk with him, not working on Masters courses when he finishes debrief. Our sq leadership did what they could to push back and create a culture to fix that, but that can only go so far when the finance Lt has time off during the week to complete school work. Add to that that the incorrect pushing of the notion that every Airman is a warrior (and I'm not talking about building a warrior ethos) and it's easy to have competing interests that aren't mission focused.

We had every reason to love what we did and had excellent leadership through the ops side of the house to ensure things stayed that way, but it was still difficult to balance the requirements that had to be done for career progression, and the culture of Big Blue still tried to creep in. I think the best way to state the problem is this; lot of the good guys start to see fighting the good fight as a losing battle. We had a lot of insulating factors to provide a buffer that our bros didn't have. We had a strong bond inside the sq for a lot of different reasons, get rid of that bond and it becomes a corporation with no real unity and people will bail from that in heartbeat.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I have been out right at a year (medical, not voluntary)

Without being too intrusive, what are you doing now that you're out of Big Blue?

Spookies have done great work in our modern CAS wars -- you have every reason to be proud of having been part of it.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Says the guy not "pulling the trigger" himself.

You don't think a Growler EWO deserves a S/F air medal but you do? I guarantee that EWO has done more to shape the fight than you ever did from the back of an airplane, that was dropping bombs.

I really do think you have a problem. Your drunk posts aren't even amusing. You are just an ass.

Spool down, bro. I was being facetious. Hence the "snowflake" garbage. Happy to get your non-combat CVW-5 jimmies rustled, though. ;) Bro.

Last edited: