• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College to OCS application timeline and Security Clearance Questions

alexng30

The issue isn’t so much “hey kid you’re f*cked” but rather to keep his options open in the event it doesn’t work out. There’s so many details the OP is leaving out that could impact getting a T5/TS-SCI.
Yeah, obviously right now I'm just working on building as solid an application as possible for submission. I think I'm just psyched out because I've been doing alot of research into the field and it seems like there are so many points of failure in the process that could potentially tank a flying career before it even gets off the ground (pun intended).

Anyways, I still need to clue in my parents as to my plans when I'm back on break. Then prep for the ASTB. One step at a time I guess.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...it seems like there are so many points of failure in the process that could potentially tank a flying career before it even gets off the ground (pun intended).

Yup. That pretty much sums up the process.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
There’s a lot of really bad gouge in this thread.

The fact is that most U.S. citizens can obtain the highest level of clearance, and be read into the most sensitive compartments. The question is how much the government can trust you with that information.

How is anything above bad gouge? You're next three paragraphs basically reword what I said. You need to be trustworthy. You need to live your life in such a way that you can be trusted not to be swayed by external influences. etc. etc.

As for the the other things said about jets, that's all correct also. You can join the Navy already having a TS-SCI and still not be eligible for jets. Because your knee to butt length is too long, you're restricted to multi-piloted aircraft because of a medical issue, you don't do better than 50% of your classmates in primary, there are no jet slots the week you finish primary, etc. etc. The only thing that you can control is how well you come prepared to your flights, the rest is out of your control. But if you can't obtain a TS then you can't fly jets in the Navy. Thats just a statement of fact. Bottomline is control what you can and don't worry about the things you can't. My original post was just to point that out. If you are going to be bitter and disgruntled if you don't get jets, well you aren't entering the process with the right mind set. As a former student control officer at a VT squadron (and a guy that originally wanted jets) I should have some street cred.

As I also said above, I know several people flying grey aircraft in the Navy with circumstances that raise an eyebrow. I know several that were dual citizens, and even a couple that did not start life as Americans. The OP should keep hope and stay positive. It is potentially doable.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Yeah, obviously right now I'm just working on building as solid an application as possible for submission. I think I'm just psyched out because I've been doing alot of research into the field and it seems like there are so many points of failure in the process that could potentially tank a flying career before it even gets off the ground (pun intended).

Anyways, I still need to clue in my parents as to my plans when I'm back on break. Then prep for the ASTB. One step at a time I guess.

Yes, one step at a time. Don't worry so much about the clearance. Yours will take longer than most for sure, especially with today's political climate... Hell, my dad was born in Canada and immigrated at the age of 4 and I had to go through a LOT of extra paperwork as a result. Proving his eventual citizenship etc. Yours will very likely be more complicated. Don't lie on anything and if it's not meant to be it's not. But as a VT IP I've seen Vietnamese, people with Russian first generation backgrounds etc be just fine. While those are "flags", and worth looking into, there are plenty of natural born Americans with more of them.