• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College Program Meeting

Will_T

Will_T
thanks pj,
I know its expensive, believe me, but Ive been getting some good scholarships from the colleges so far, and Im hoping BU is the same. also, there are very few cheap, state schools with my major, (most are in the 50k a year realm) and I don't think any are close to CT. And I of course will consider my options, but if nrotc seems to be the best for me right now.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
thanks pj,
I know its expensive, believe me, but Ive been getting some good scholarships from the colleges so far, and Im hoping BU is the same. also, there are very few cheap, state schools with my major, (most are in the 50k a year realm) and I don't think any are close to CT. And I of course will consider my options, but if nrotc seems to be the best for me right now.

Affiliation with an NROTC unit can also open up avenues to other scholarships as well. I don't know about BU, but at our unit if you have above a 3.0 you can apply for a scholarship that ranges from 800 to 1000 dollars. It's a one off thing each semester, but a little can go a long way. Other random things come up too, even if you aren't contracted with scholarship/advanced standing.

getswole0763

getswole0763: are you looking at other places for NROTC? If so, take the same approach you're using with USD's unit with others. Even if you don't get a scholarship, College Program is a great way to get noticed by a unit staff which can aid in getting a scholarship (Marine or otherwise).

Just my $.02

Unfortunately, i am not looking at any other Universities that host NROTC other than University of San Diego. Out of all the schools i applied to, USD was the only one with NROTC. If things don't work out with NROTC (that is, i don't get accepted to USD), however, i will most certainly apply for PLC. I am very anxious to hear back from the admissions office from USD to see if i got in. The next 3 weeks will certainly be nail biters!

Will_T

Will_T
I had the meeting this past Friday with the LT at Boston Univ., and he was very impressed with my questions and general knowledge of acronyms, which my father couldn't follow in the least bit. I attribute my great success at this meeting/interview to airwarriors, thanks a million guys. Also, I got to meet the CO, a captain, and he was also happy with what the LT had to say. Looks like I might be making my way to BU as a college programmer for the coming school year. Now Ive just got to get accepted there.

Will_T

Will_T
I just got accepted to Boston University, and am very excited to go there and be a part of the nrotc unit.
I got a fantastic financial aid package and am looking forward to being a part of the best military branch in the world.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Will.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
hey man thats awesome, congrats...have you heard from the scholarship board or are you definately doing cp

JhwK08

Haha, I hear the orientation at BU is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Enjoy

But seriously, congrats

Will_T

Will_T
Thanks everybody.
And I have not heard back from the board, but the CO made it clear that the scholarship was much more competitive this year, so its looking like I will go cp, which is fine with me, as long as I get to be in the NROTC.
Gsparks, the Orientation is a week in Newport starting august 15th, then a long weekend in Boston for sightseeing and an early move in.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good attitude to go in with. Yes, getting the scholarship is competitive, but work your butt off, get good grades, don't suck at PT, and contribute to the battalion and that will make you very competitive. If, at the end of the day, you don't get the scholarship and you need the money for school, don't discount BDCP. It's a great deal, and I can't imagine hard work in ROTC not paying dividends in an application for it. Best of luck to you.

Excited Mid

Good attitude to go in with. Yes, getting the scholarship is competitive, but work your butt off, get good grades, don't suck at PT, and contribute to the battalion and that will make you very competitive. If, at the end of the day, you don't get the scholarship and you need the money for school, don't discount BDCP. It's a great deal, and I can't imagine hard work in ROTC not paying dividends in an application for it. Best of luck to you.

IDK about other schools, but at my battalion we had a kid pick up a scholarship in the first semester who was a CP. Unfortunately due to budget cuts, he can't go on CORTRAMID, but he did really well. You got to work your ass off, but thats true if you want anything in life. His PT was about an EH, his GPA was up there, probably like a 3.8, and his aptitude was outstanding, but he did well by not f*cking around and contributing a lot to the battalion. Just make sure you don't overdo with the "mottoness" and get your entire class to hate you. Just be a genuinely good guy and contribute contribute contribute. Especially when no one is looking. Your classmates will notice and they will let the right people know.

getswole0763

Accepted! I got accepted to University of San Diego and will be setting up a time to talk to the Unit. On Saturday i went up there to visit my friend and i got a chance to meet and relax with some of the Marine Options. Very good group of guys, i can't wait to sign up for CP.