• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College Program Meeting

Will_T

Will_T
Due to my current thought that I am unlikely to get a nrotc scholarship (with only 2 or 3 board meetings left, its not looking good), I set up a meeting with the LT in charge of recruiting at BU to talk about "other options", which seems like college program.
I am treating this like the officer interview I had with the LCDR for the scholarship (meaning nice clothes, "yes sir, no sir", good questions), because my thinking is that a college program spot is not guaranteed, and I'd like to make a good impression to improve my chances (just as an aside, he is an aviator, and he ends each email with a big "Fly Navy" Signature).
I'd like to know if anyone else has had this experience before and would like to offer some advice, and/or knows some good questions to ask (besides the ones I already have, which are mostly basic unit-information questions and more personal questions for the LT).
Thanks,
Will.

JhwK08

If you are determined to do ROTC, then props to you. However, I would be aware that scholarships are extremely scarce right now (if existent at all) for college programmers - so don't go in expecting to pick one up after 1 semester. At my unit there has been 1 scholarship a year for college programmers.

Will_T

Will_T
I am aware of the lack of nrotc scholarships, and thanks for the props. I (of course) would like to pick up the free money, but am also willing to pick up the debt if I can get a commission.
The main reason I am looking at college program, is that only 2 of 5 units that i applied to have spots left (RPI is 80-85% full, Holy cross not far behind), and I really want to get into this as soon as possible. Anyway, thank you for your reply.

Immy

I never met with anyone about College Program, just exchanged E-mails and sent in some paperwork. I did go to an informational meeting, but it was informal. I can say if you show up looking/acting squared away and motivated it will only help your image with the staff.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Long time lurker, first time poster...but since I'm currently a College Programmer, I thought I would weigh in. My experience was the same as the poster above, I checked out my current unit during my Junior year college tour. I didn't wear anything special, asks some questions about being a pilot (I had a much narrower focus). I sent some e-mails, found out when indoc was, showed up at 0800 that day and got the left over uniforms (lack of planning meant that I a.) didn't get right sized uniforms and b.) didn't get the small things like a name tag or belt).

If you are deadset on doing NROTC and you know it, khakis and a polo, and motivation will go far with the staff and hold you in good stead. Ask about the daily goings-on at the Unit, what your LT did, what experiences he/she's had so on and so forth, ask if he/she has any recommendations to prepare yourself so that you hit the ground running. Don't have awkward silences. Having said that, don't sweat over it, these meetings are super informal.

There's some off-mark gouge around here re: college program, so if you have any questions, let me know. I'm doing college program and will stick with it with the aim of a commission (no interest in the scholarship for a number of reason).

Hope this clears things up a wee bit

Will_T

Will_T
gsparks,
that was very helpful, I was unaware that my meeting could be so informal ( I was planning on a shirt and tie getup).
The questions you offered up were great too, thanks.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Glad to be of help. I wouldn't recommend jean shorts and a wife beater, but you needn't be in a business suit. It's solely an information session. Technically, college program is open to those who can pass a basic physical. Advanced standing (Navy saying you're good to go for a commissioning) and the scholarship are the selective aspects. Hope this clears some stuff up. I personally think (money aside) that College Program's a really good deal.

EDIT

Get a haircut and shave...sends the right message

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Glad to be of help. I wouldn't recommend jean shorts and a wife beater, but you needn't be in a business suit. It's solely an information session. Technically, college program is open to those who can pass a basic physical. Advanced standing (Navy saying you're good to go for a commissioning) and the scholarship are the selective aspects. Hope this clears some stuff up. I personally think (money aside) that College Program's a really good deal.

EDIT

Get a haircut and shave...sends the right message

To a certain extent. You don't need to shave your entire head off and look like you just got finished at Perris Island or San Diego.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
dont give up on a scholarship quite yet just because you havent heard, although i have heard they are very scarce right now...i didnt get notice of my scholarship until like late march, early april, so hang in there, dont abandon all hope...as for the meeting, like the others said, be as professional as you can and look like you want to be an officer someday, it will go far in enhancing your image with the unit staff

getswole0763

Hey! I am kinda in the same boat as you, as i am interested in starting off at the college program route for a few reasons. I am currently waiting on getting accepted to a school that i am very interested in doing NRTOC Marine Option for (USD). I am extremely motivated to get things started for my freshman year at the school (assuming i get accepted) but am a little unsure of how to approach the school's NROTC Office. I visit the school every once and a while to see friends (it's only a 20 minute drive) but I am not sure of when the best time to get in touch with the Officer Instructors there would be. I am planning on visiting the NROTC office at the UNI once i get an acceptance letter to kick things off, but am curious as to whether an E-Mail would be good for prior notice before i see them. Any experiences from others would be a great help, thanks!

JhwK08

An e-mail would always be a good idea. If you show up without sending one then you risk them being busy, and not having the time to sit down and talk with you. Just ask them what a good time to come in and talk would be - then presto.

getswole0763

An e-mail would always be a good idea. If you show up without sending one then you risk them being busy, and not having the time to sit down and talk with you. Just ask them what a good time to come in and talk would be - then presto.

Easy enough haha. thanks.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
To a certain extent. You don't need to shave your entire head off and look like you just got finished at Perris Island or San Diego.

Ya I was meaning more the face RE: shaving...if you're sticking with Navy option, you won't ever have to shave your head too moto-like which is a plus

getswole0763: are you looking at other places for NROTC? If so, take the same approach you're using with USD's unit with others. Even if you don't get a scholarship, College Program is a great way to get noticed by a unit staff which can aid in getting a scholarship (Marine or otherwise).

Just my $.02

Will_T

Will_T
Jhwk/getswole-Yea, i figured he would be busy ( the LT), so i emailed him and asked and we found a time and date that worked for both of us ( Boston is 2 hours away, so i cant go up there when ever i feel like it), I would say just make sure you email is professional (Dear Sir/Ma'am stuff).
Rufio- I always keep my hair short, its just personal preference, but thanks.
Wildcat- Thanks, I'd really like to get it, there's no doubt, but I'm not going to sit around and let that blow up on me, and then have no backup plan.

pjxc415

pilot
I am aware of the lack of nrotc scholarships, and thanks for the props. I (of course) would like to pick up the free money, but am also willing to pick up the debt if I can get a commission.
The main reason I am looking at college program, is that only 2 of 5 units that i applied to have spots left (RPI is 80-85% full, Holy cross not far behind), and I really want to get into this as soon as possible. Anyway, thank you for your reply.

Be careful about going to BU with no scholarship ... I'm sure you know it is a very expensive school and you could end up spending a majority of your commitment just repaying what you owe them. If your goal is a commission regardless of school, I would look into some state schools that are less expensive and also have rotc. There are also other commissioning sources you could consider such as OCS. Don't let anyone stand in the way of your goals ... one of my old roommates applied for OCS about 5 times before getting in, and now he's flying super hornets. I'm just saying to give some consideration to how much you will have to repay after four years.