• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College junior interested in aviation

blackjack24

I am a junior at ucla and am thinking about aviation in the navy. I heard about bdcp and ucla has a great nrotc program but being that I am a junior(come september) is bdcp the best route for aviation?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I am a junior at ucla and am thinking about aviation in the navy. I heard about bdcp and ucla has a great nrotc program but being that I am a junior(come september) is bdcp the best route for aviation?

Good luck with whatever you decide to pursue, and thank you for not posting about how you wanted to be a "fighter pilot" because you have what it takes to "be the best". :)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None

Second FMRAM...

Definitely look into BDCP. Best deal in the Navy as far as I'm concerned. (Didn't do the program, but know a few who did).

Best of luck, search wisely and let us know if we can help.

blackjack24

thanks for the responses I think bdcp is the best option for my circumstance but I was told by a cadre member of rotc that the slots for aviation start at the academy grads then rotc then ocs. Can that be verified? also im a poli sci major and have taken stats and college alg. but not calc(dont need to for the major) will that hurt me from getting the slot?

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Dude, I got bdcp as a slob, beer drinkin general studies major. It's all about gpa. I think the navy knows engineers don't make any better fleet aviators. That ROTC guy might be right, but ROTC cadre are always trying to recruit just like officer recruiters. However, if you're looking for info about bdcp, I'd talk to the officer recruiters.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
thanks for the responses I think bdcp is the best option for my circumstance but I was told by a cadre member of rotc that the slots for aviation start at the academy grads then rotc then ocs. Can that be verified? also im a poli sci major and have taken stats and college alg. but not calc(dont need to for the major) will that hurt me from getting the slot?

I think that is the pecking order, but OCS is the only one that guarantees you a slot, if your contract says pilot than you will be a pilot, there's no roll of the dice. Apparently you haven't heard "poli sci to fly!" You'll be fine, good luck!

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
You have to take the ASTB either way and it's got plenty of math and science on it. I'm a poli sci major and I did great on it, but I also took engineering for a while.

As for how aviation slots are given out... when you sign up for BDCP, your slot is guaranteed. If you get a pro-rec and final select for SNA, then in a year or two you are guaranteed your shot at aviation--it's in your contract. So what he told you about how slots are given out is largely irrelevant, except that if they aren't projecting a lot of slots it's going to be harder to get one.

blackjack24

So what do I need to be doing now in terms of getting my packet ready and getting all the information required? The website for the officer recruiting is not working would anyone know the number for the Los Angeles office?

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
navy.com has a general number you can call to reach an officer recruiter. I've seen others suggest looking in the phonebook (seriously) for an officer recruiter, just make sure you talk to an officer recruiter.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I got the phone number off the NRD District's website for my area (NRD Chicago). I'd start with NRD LA's site for a number. You also might luck out with someone on here who went through there and can point you in the right direction. Best of luck.

blackjack24

I spoke to the LA recruiter and he said I cant fly because my eyes aren't 20/20, I could get surgery but I am not going to spend that kind of money for a shot at aviation thats bs. So he said navigator I could do and anything else except pilot. Then at school the marine officer gave some info on their aviation program and that seems interesting...

blarged

ready
I spoke to the LA recruiter and he said I cant fly because my eyes aren't 20/20, I could get surgery but I am not going to spend that kind of money for a shot at aviation thats bs. So he said navigator I could do and anything else except pilot. Then at school the marine officer gave some info on their aviation program and that seems interesting...

I think I remember reading someone's post in April boards that applied SNA BDCP and got pro-rec'd. Then they had to get the PRK for final select. If this is true and I'm not just pulling things out of my rear end... it might be something worth checking into if this is something you would really like to pursue (since it sounds like you are still in school).

Lobster

I think I remember reading someone's post in April boards that applied SNA BDCP and got pro-rec'd. Then they had to get the PRK for final select. If this is true and I'm not just pulling things out of my rear end... it might be something worth checking into if this is something you would really like to pursue (since it sounds like you are still in school).

Search around for Nugget61's thread on his PRK process he got pro-rec'd but then opted for PRK.