• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard S-3 Vikings

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would not be surprised if contract maintenance was in the Deepwater proposal because the program was being run by.........contractors.

There's a surprise and the contractor in question not only built the C-130 and the S-3, but do a lot of contractor maintenance all over the world. That said, it would be hard for USCG to create a Viking maintainer cadre overnight unless they borrowed or got transfers from Navy Viking personnel before they disappear into other communities or elsewhere.

sardaddy

pilot
The last I have heard from my very reliable contacts is that the Coast Guard is considering S-3s as a interim survelliance package but it simply that, a consideration.

If the CG were to do so, it would be a complete package. We would use Navy aircraft, pilots, and maintainers.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
The last I have heard from my very reliable contacts is that the Coast Guard is considering S-3s as a interim survelliance package but it simply that, a consideration.
New info....CG will not be getting S-3 Vikings. The CNO however with the stroke of a pen is in deep consideration of retaining the S-3 for 5-6 more years to gap what is lost with the P-3 fleet being half down. Two squadrons will stay around. This info is from the pit at the Weapons School.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Hey, all....new to Airwarriors. It's good to see a Coast Guard forum.

I just talked to my bud up at headquarters to get the inside slant and the S3 is officially a dead deal. I didn't get the details on why it was officially nixed, but it doesn't look like it will happen.

They better slap some new engines on the Falcon or start moving the 144 program along!:eek:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome aboard Coastie. Can another mod get Coastiflyer some wings? I forgot how to do it.

sardaddy

pilot
Coastieflyer how long have you been in the branch? I left the 65 branch in '06.

Keith Trepanier

sardaddy

pilot
Enjoy the branch it is a great time and you actually get an opportunity to mold how the CG uses your airframe. Or in your case, how it will moth ball it.:)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
New info....CG will not be getting S-3 Vikings. The CNO however with the stroke of a pen is in deep consideration of retaining the S-3 for 5-6 more years to gap what is lost with the P-3 fleet being half down. Two squadrons will stay around. This info is from the pit at the Weapons School.

Heard this has actually taken place. Should be interesting to see how this plays out with no RAG and the need for JO's.

S3Dude

pilot
Wonder if the Misty's of VS-41 will be brought back with the need for JOs until the P-8 comes on board??

If it happens the east coast wing will most likely take over any training requirements. At least that's what I've heard... There are no buildings for VS-41 to "reopen", the helo guys have taken over north island...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Wonder if the Misty's of VS-41 will be brought back with the need for JOs until the P-8 comes on board??
The S-3 is not going to stay around, apparently the effort is getting quashed. The plan was never to restart the RAG/VS-41. They were going to keep transition decliners around to man the squadron (VS-22).....sort of like the Dirty Dozen flying S-3's.