• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard S-3 Vikings

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Rumor has it S-3's are being obtained by the Coast Guard to fly out of Tampa. More to come.......

LivinMyDream

pilot
Now if you had only waited a year, you could have done a lateral transfer to the Coast Guard instead of taking my jet spot...

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Heard that it got nixed fairly quickly from CG. But that's just from the Jax S-3 mafia.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Now if you had only waited a year, you could have done a lateral transfer to the Coast Guard instead of taking my jet spot...
Jesus Timah Timah!! You winged already!? And if you had gone jets you would be mulling about being almost halfway through the program right now ;)....makes up for my short stint in primary.

Word of mouth from Viking community....no link yet....I gave the sales/capabilities brief to the Chileans and Peruvians 2 years ago and it was being tossed around then too. The plan was to take the hot seats out and make it a little more comfortable.

Heard that it got nixed fairly quickly from CG. But that's just from the Jax S-3 mafia.
How recent did you hear? I left S-3's hearing the same but it seems to have turned around. If my source is wrong, I will kick him in the balls.

Nose

pilot
Rumor has it S-3's are being obtained by the Coast Guard to fly out of Tampa. More to come.......

Hope that goes better then the "Coasties buy E-2s experiment."

edit: spelling fixed. (Nose = NAVCAD)

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Hope that goes better then the "Coasties buy E-2s expirament."
No doubt...that was truly painful.

A pilot from Clearwater went about a month ago and flew the S-3 as part of the test/eval team for the proof of concept. I believe this crazy idea is marching forward.

Yep, we are getting planes that are castoffs from other services. In the government this is called "progress".

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Would the Vikings replace or augment the Falcons? What mission would they be taking on?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Would the Vikings replace or augment the Falcons? What mission would they be taking on?
Surface Search and Surveilance. It has a wicked radar that combined with its speed, and loiter capability, make it an awesome platform.

S3Dude

pilot
In the more immediate future watch for the S-3 to make a bit of a comeback helping out the lost P-3 sorties. Have heard several different ideas on standing up some additional squadrons until the P-3/P-8 world has settled out.

You may also see the S-3 in a couple years in an ANG/AFRES status fighting fires. I have a friend working on the contract for a company in Southern California. Interesting stuff for the old bird.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
In the more immediate future watch for the S-3 to make a bit of a comeback helping out the lost P-3 sorties. Have heard several different ideas on standing up some additional squadrons until the P-3/P-8 world has settled out.

You may also see the S-3 in a couple years in an ANG/AFRES status fighting fires. I have a friend working on the contract for a company in Southern California. Interesting stuff for the old bird.

How do you stand up units when you only have 2 squadrons and no RAG? I'm not disputing the possibility... but it seems to me that there might be better alternatives.

Flugelman

Contributor
Interesting stuff for the old bird.
Old bird??? OLD BIRD???? Sigh...:(

I was in VX1 when we did the OpEval on the NEW birds. I installed the only known S3 paper MAD recorder for some of the tests. Only time I ever got to ride the ejection seats.