• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard DCA

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
I've heard DCA spots, especially on the fixed wing side will be VERY hard to come by, if not impossible. Only an unsubstantiated rumor....probably not what you were looking to hear.

careerO-3

pilot
I've heard DCA spots, especially on the fixed wing side will be VERY hard to come by, if not impossible. Only an unsubstantiated rumor....probably not what you were looking to hear.

No, that isn't what I wanted to hear. I was hoping DCA would be part of the plan to save the CG some money.

sardaddy

pilot
The DCA program isn't used as a money saving venture. It is used as a relief valve to get a few more pilots into the system quickly when needed. So when the Coast Guard has a lot of pilots the DCA program is the first to go. At one point in the '90s it was shut off completely for about 5 years. Hopefully for you folks, that won't happen again.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
The requirement is ten years or less of prior service. If you have more, it will depend on the board. Sometimes they grant waivers and other times they don't. Also, If you are a commissioned officer the highest pay grade you will enter the Coast Guard is an an O-2.

So for those of us with wings+8, to get a waiver you go all the way through the application/interview process before the board decides if they'll give you a waiver?

sardaddy

pilot
Pretty much. Once all of the packets get to HQ they figure out how many people they need. If there are not enough waiver free applicants, they will either move the date of the DCA board (they did that to me) or they will allow waivers to meet the selection pool. It doesn't mean you will be selected but you are at least in the mix. With that said, they will also post some boards that will state specifics about what will be accepted for waivers and they won't deviate from that.

Good luck

sardaddy

pilot
The board just met on the 3rd. I would guess the results will be out next week or the week after. They post the results on CGMS under the recruiting or officer bulletins.

sardaddy

pilot
Nowhere. That is where the CG posts it. Other lists you see were pulled off of CGMS by someone who thought they would be nice. You should know that in recent years they have been frowning on posting messages outside the message board even if it says internet release authorized.

sardaddy

pilot
Yeah, weird. I am still towing that regs line. I am odd like that. The point was that the message is ONLY released via CGMS. If it isn't released there, it will not be released anywhere as that is where the other sites get their info from. I have checked CGMS and the message is still not posted there although, as you said, at least some candidates have been notified. I talked to one the other day. He didn't get the info via message but directly from an OPM rep. I don't know when the actual message will come out.

sardaddy

pilot
Is this really that hard for you to grasp? That is the official internet releasable site for CG messages and until it is there we aren't supposed to post messages to the internet. It is really as simple as that. Do people do it? Sure, but we aren't supposed to. Is it a stupid rule? Maybe, but it is still a rule so I follow it. What other rules do you simply choose not to follow because you think they are stupid?

But, that still isn't the point you fail to grasp. The information that is being sought will only come out from one source, CGMS. From there, it will slowly disseminate to other sites. However, it will show up first on CGMS so if you want it as soon as it comes out, check CGMS. You wanted to know when/where the results are published. The only place they are guaranteed to be published is on CGMS. They are then copied and pasted on other sites as those on the sites happen to find it. So no guarantee they will be posted anywhere else.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Is this really that hard for you to grasp? That is the official internet releasable site for CG messages and until it is there we aren't supposed to post messages to the internet. It is really as simple as that. Do people do it? Sure, but we aren't supposed to. Is it a stupid rule? Maybe, but it is still a rule so I follow it. What other rules do you simply choose not to follow because you think they are stupid?

But, that still isn't the point you fail to grasp. The information that is being sought will only come out from one source, CGMS. From there, it will slowly disseminate to other sites. However, it will show up first on CGMS so if you want it as soon as it comes out, check CGMS. You wanted to know when/where the results are published. The only place they are guaranteed to be published is on CGMS. They are then copied and pasted on other sites as those on the sites happen to find it. So no guarantee they will be posted anywhere else.

Getting official Coast Guard message traffic from a non-Coastie website, Spanky? You're dangerous!

unsafe.jpg

sardaddy

pilot
FYI, the results of the 3 DEC board were finally posted on 19 March. Mudkow since you KNEW the results were out months ago, you should have no trouble finding the list now that it is actually available.

Perhaps now you see what I was trying to tell you in December. The results were not published for anyone to post anywhere despite your bloviating to the contrary. There was no message on CGMS to provide info to any other website. Until it is published on CGMS in a message, the only way you can get the information is from someone in HQ who was in on the board process and they won't release that info to anyone but those who need the info before the message comes out.

Now that it is out, happy hunting.

64_Guy

sardaddy,

If you don't mind helping another DCA hopefull, I have a couple more questions...

I'm an army national guard pilot recently return from Afghanistan. I have been looking at the DCA program for a couple years now and with my flight time on deployment I now meet all of the requirements. I've read all the information I can find and I've decided that I absolutely want to apply for the DCA program. However, now that the decision is made I guess I need to find my next step. So here's my big questions:

1) Can I expect a similar program deadline for FY14? The CG webiste shows a ESO deadline of 17 Sepember with the panel meeting in December (2012). Is it reasonable to assume that it will be a similar timeline this year? It's only the end of March but I would like to have all my ducks in a row well in advance of any deadlines.

2) Who do you recommend as my first contact in starting the process? I'm unfamilar of the role of and difference between and an ESO and a recruiting officer. Should I simply make contact with my local recruiting office and tell them I want to put together a DCA packet? Is this the time to approach with caution or am I safe to just blast an email with my intention? When would you recommend making that first contact?

3) I'm a fairly low time pilot (about 700 hours) and I'm concerned that on a competative board I may lag behind in flight time and be less competative. I think that in everything but flight time I should look pretty good, I'm a well rounded comissioned officer with a variety of experince and very good evaluations, but I'm worried about the hours thing. I have some GI Bill to play with so I've considered completing my CFI with a local flight school this summer. What that be of any value to a board?

4) I am not a pilot in command. I came out of flight school and went right to Afghanistan and my unit decided not to progress aviators from PI (copilot) to PC (pilot in command) while deployed. This that going to hurt me on a board?

5) I have the better part of a year before next year's board, is anything else I can do this summer and fall to make myself a better applicant?

Thank you in advance for any imput and advice.

Safe flying.

sardaddy

pilot
1) Probably pretty close to the same if they have a board. Who knows what will happen in today's climate. We have severely tightened the pipelines for most of our incoming personnel from those going to boot camp to those graduating from the Coast Guard Academy.

2) Call a CG recruiter whenver you are ready. They are the ones that will help you put the packet together and get the interviews etc. Tell the recruiter exactly what you want to do. Be advised that it is a challenge to get in touch with a recruiter so don't expect an immediate call back. ESOs are not recruiters, they are unit level personnel who process certain portions.

3) I don't think having your CFI will impress the board that much. Your flight time meets the requirements and it isn't abnormal so I personally don't think it would hurt you but it all depends on who your competition is.

4) I am not sure how that will be looked at honestly. Again, I think it will depend on your competition.

5) fly more and get qualified as a PC. Other than that, I can't think of much else that will make much of a difference.

Good luck.