• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard DCA

MasterBates

It's apparently been that way since 2002 or so.

When I put in the paperwork for the DH bonus a couple months ago, they tried to tell me I couldn't apply since I was 2 years from EOAS.

I had to produce my contract which stated 7 for helos. Then they tried to pull the "well instruction X says different, you have an erroneous contract" and then my XO came down on them with the "he has a VALID contract, and it better be honored"

They said the changeover was FY03 wingers, but I have not seen the instruction.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Well there has to be a way around it for fixed wing guys because we are getting transitions from the Navy/Marine Corp.

About a year ago we had a Navy P3 pilot as well as and Marine F18 pilot switch. :confused:

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Well there has to be a way around it for fixed wing guys because we are getting transitions from the Navy/Marine Corp.

About a year ago we had a Navy P3 pilot as well as and Marine F18 pilot switch. :confused:

Those guys were all from YGs that had the old 6,7,8 winging commitment, or took less then 24 months to get winged. In the next couple of years it will be harder for people to get out before their 10yr total time mark. Hopefully, Coast Guard will be willing to provide time in service waivers when that becomes more common.

phrogpilot73

The DCA board's requirements are that you have a DD-214 (i.e. you hit your commitment and got out) or an approved DD-368 request for conditional release. I think a good chunk of guys are coming in on a DD-368 (basically the USN/USMC/USA/USAF agrees to let you out regardless of where you stand in your commitment timeline to go to the USCG). The form is on the Coast Guard recruiting website. You do unzip your fly and hang your weiner out to be punched by your current service if you don't get picked up...

ChinookDriver47

Hi there. Just a quick note to say hello and express my interest in the DCA program and get some opinions.

Here is the deal: I am finishing up at Rucker with the 47 course and deploying in May of next year to A-Stan. Some of the time I think Guard folks wince at deployments, but in this case, since I probably losing my civilian job due to the state of the economy (no surprise), I am looking forward to it. I am looking at full time options with both the guard and, obviously, the USCG since the lack of a job upon returning will be ever-looming. While the prospects of an AGR or Tech slot are slim, I am thinking that the DCA may be an explorable option.

I spent 6 1/2 years AD in the Army and when I come back from deployment will have reached my 13 year mark. I know that the limit is published at 10, but, as was mentioned in the reply above, I am kind of hoping for one of those waivers from a lenient but understanding board.

I currently have my CFI/CFII/MEI, my B.S degree, and am halfway through my Maters in Criminal Justice. I am hoping that a strong resume' and a couple endorsements from a few friends who are current CG officers will help push a selection over the edge. I would be hoping for a HH-65 slot given the option for the assignment variety, but obviously, would take what was available. I am not all that familiar with particular pilot needs with regard to airframes currently, but am doing the research in forums such as these to get up to speed.

Thanks to everyone for the great information thus far! Safe flying!

CD

sardaddy

pilot
I am not really sure what opinion you want but I will certainly pass whtat I see from your message.

You have a couple of things that might be to your advantage and maybe some that won't.

How many years of active service do you actually have? You wrote you had 6.5 years of active and are coming up on 13. I am assuming the remainder was in the Guard or Reserve. If that is the case, then you need to figure out how much time is actual duty time that would count for a 20 year retirement. So if you have the normal one weekend a month two weeks a year type schedule then you would have only about two months of service each year while in the reserves. So that should help you in the time in service and you might not need a waiver.

You seem to have great credentials that would help you in the selection process so you would certainly be competitive. However, the competition is tough.

You are only going to have a little time in service after flight school so I would be surprised if your unit will let you go so quickly and you will have to either be out of the service or have a form stating your current service will let you go before the CG will even look at you.

I wish you luck and certainly think your goal is attainable but it will take some work.

Good luck.

ChinookDriver47

Yeah, the DD368 might be a hard sell but my CoC is pretty understanding. Hopefully things will pick up and I can keep my current job but, honestly, I think it's wishful thinking. If nothing else, I will be working on the packet in A-Stan for something to do.

Let me get this right on the service calculation:

6.5 enlisted AD + 2 weeks a year for the last 5 years + 4 drills per month (x 11months) = about 11 months. So my total time is about 7 years and some change for DCA purposes?

I appreciate the extra advice. Next time I fly into Port Angeles I will shoot you guys a wave down there.

helosusmc

West Texas Skid Trash
In lieu of starting a new thread, I figure I'll just post on this one. How far out does somebody need to get the ball rolling if you're interested in the DCA program? I've been in my fleet squadron for about 3 years now and have about 2 years left on my contract. I figure that's a little early but I like to plan things out in advance to the max extent possible. Thanks for the help.

phrog_guy

DCA TIS limit

I'm an Army helo pilot (former 46 avionics in USMC) rated in both 60s and 47s. I'm thinking about dropping a packet for DCA but after I get back from Iraq I will have 13 yrs 1 mo TIS which is 1 month past the limit. Is it possible to get the 13 year TIS limit waived?

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
I'm an Army helo pilot (former 46 avionics in USMC) rated in both 60s and 47s. I'm thinking about dropping a packet for DCA but after I get back from Iraq I will have 13 yrs 1 mo TIS which is 1 month past the limit. Is it possible to get the 13 year TIS limit waived?

Missing it by a month, wow. Actually, I'm not sure if they have waived that in the past. Sardaddy should know, he knows 100 times more about the DCA process than me. :confused:

sardaddy

pilot
I know they have waived things like that in the past but it is really decided board to board. I am fairly certain the waivers are drying up as there are more and more applicants on the boards. But if you don't try, you won't know.

Good luck.

Darkhorse14

Im an Army Blackhawk pilot and Im looking into the DCA program with the Coast Guard. Im hoping to get a few questions answered.
Does anyone know what the Coast Guard is looking for?
Does being an H-60 guy help with the selection process?
What are the selection rates?
Would my flight pay start over or would my time in flight service count?
I looking to be home more with the family and put down some roots for a while, does the Coast Guard offer stablization?

Thanks for any help.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Im an Army Blackhawk pilot and Im looking into the DCA program with the Coast Guard. Im hoping to get a few questions answered.
I looking to be home more with the family and put down some roots for a while, does the Coast Guard offer stablization?

Thanks for any help.

DCA program is looking for well rounded, performing members from other services. Yea, I know, pretty generic answer. It probably helps a little that you fly 60's as you make for an easier transition.....although that doesn't necessarily mean you will fly HH60's for the CG.

Coast Guard will want to transfer you every four years in the aviation world. Many times, a one year extension to 5 years is possible, but after that, they want to move you. Places (like Mobile) allow sometimes for consecutive orders but it's generally not considered good for your career once you have been at one location for more than 5 years.

The DCA process and selection rate question I'll defer to sardaddy as I don't have a clue.

sardaddy

pilot
Coastie flyer gave you a great answer.

Your airframe doesn't come into play too much for the selection process. There are only 50+ H-60s and over 100 H-65s. The only thing it will do is determine if you are going to go fixed or rotary.

Those are the rates at which people are selected.:icon_tong Real answer, it depends on the board. I will tell you that more and more pilots are applying so getting selected is more competetive than prior years.

Prior flight service counts so you get paid whatever you were getting before. However, that also means your flight pay will go down at the other end sooner.

As Coastieflyer said, you will get a max of 5 years at a station. Some have gone longer at the expense of not being promoted and not being able to retire but that is pretty rare that a detailer will even allow it. The closest you can get is convincing the detailer to keep you in a certain part of the country i.e. East Coast, West Coast, Gulf Coast. But even that is rare.

Good luck.

Tanker Bum

DCA board May 09

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, but I think I am pretty caught up to date from the previous threads. This forum is easily the best information I have found so far on the Direct Commission boards. Thanks for the good info.

I am a KC-135 driver in the ANG and just applied for the May 09 DCA board. Most of the board talk so far from what I've seen has been about helo's. Does anyone know what percentages of fix wing guys are getting picked up? Is it easier for a fix wing guy right now to get accepted? I'm not a Navy/Marine flighter dude so I'm wondering what my chances are.