• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard DCA

SkLee00

Hey Kiwi!!

If I end up in MIA, here's hoping your pulling Hercs out of Kodiak...

How's that single-engine crop duster treating you by the way?:icon_tong?...atleast you'll never forget to put your gear down...

Send some pictures when you get a chance...at least its summer down there..take care

MD2NZ

pilot
Low Blows

Hey Kiwi!!

If I end up in MIA, here's hoping your pulling Hercs out of Kodiak...

How's that single-engine crop duster treating you by the way?:icon_tong?...atleast you'll never forget to put your gear down...

Dayum, you know how to hit a brother where it hurts.

By the way, my two NY resolutions are:
1) Not to make fun of the mighty Airtrainer.
2) Not to say anything negative about Ohakea throughout 2009.

So a USMC Herc bud of mine that got picked up by the DEC 06 board said he didn't get the results until early FEB! Mayun, I couldn't take that sh!t. It's like I've been sitting in detention since my interview just watching the clock tick backwards. What's your guess, think we'll hear something by the end of the week? My money is on THU your time (based on no real facts, just rollin' the dice).

Chur bro

SkLee00

Dec boards

For Kiwi (and anyone else up for the December board),
The recruiter just called today, still no word but they have been told that it is a pretty large list of folks....good news, I guess...
Kiwi, I will give you a holler over email.......

CGhawk

60 verse 65

SkLee00,

H-60 crews take forever to get a hoist completed. After a conference on what they plan to do and a secret ballot is completed they make a decision on what they are going to do. They then of course need to discuss how they are going to do it. H-65 crews get on scene make a quick and accurate assesment of the situation and conduct the hoist. That is the difference between flying around with under three hours of fuel and flying around with over six hours of fuel.

Sardaddy,
Finally, H-60 pilots know nothing about finessing an aircraft. They just pull collective until they are out of trouble.

Good response on the differences between the two helos up until the last two entries. I have had some very fast hoists and some long ones. The best thing about a 60 is that you normally will have the time, fuel and power to take the extra time if needed. As far as the "finessing" of the aircraft goes, here is the scoop on that. When and if you come out of either the 60 or the 65 and fly a helo without AFCS, you will find out your "finessing" of the controls is not so good at first regardless to if you fly the 60 or 65. Only difference is that coming out of a 65, I admit, you will be more aware of power required. I have been retired for a few years now and going from an AFCS equiped helo to a non AFCS equiped helo is eye opening at first. I now fly an underpowered and non AFCS assisted helo in a very tough environment But it all comes down to how well you can fly the aircraft you are in now. But given the choice, you and I both know having that extra power is a good thing.

sardaddy

pilot
As far as the "finessing" of the aircraft goes, here is the scoop on that. When and if you come out of either the 60 or the 65 and fly a helo without AFCS, you will find out your "finessing" of the controls is not so good at first regardless to if you fly the 60 or 65.
Do you mean you never flew with AFCS off on the 60? I do all the time just to keep the touch up. Heck, I have been given an entire stan check with the AFCS off.

You are right power is great to have but it is also a crutch.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
You are right power is great to have but it is also a crutch.
YGBSM! Hell, I often shutdown one of the props so I no longer have the crutch of that extra power.

I'm hoping you don't use other crutches, like NVGs, RNAV, autopilot, or the aforementioned AFCS. In fact, I'm thinking it's no ILS, just NDBs for you. Cuz all that stuff is for pussies.

phrogpilot73

YGBSM! Hell, I often shutdown one of the props so I no longer have the crutch of that extra power.

I'm hoping you don't use other crutches, like NVGs, RNAV, autopilot, or the aforementioned AFCS. In fact, I'm thinking it's no ILS, just NDBs for you. Cuz all that stuff is for pussies.
Actually I believe what he's referring to is that if you always expect to have extra power (like H-60 vs. H-65 or H-53 vs. H-46) you can tend to get sloppy/complacent. So when the environmentals/emergency doesn't lend to the same power you're used to, if you haven't been striving to hit your numbers every time (sloppy) you no longer have the power to save yourself.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Ahhh, OK, fair enough. :eek:

Tx for the translation...it sounded to my ears like the guy with the size issues saying being well-endowed is a crutch.:D

sardaddy

pilot
You had those thoughts because you are a Hercdriver. You guys are always trying to measure up.

I was speaking in the way phrogpilot was addressing. I flew apaches for seven years before going into the CG and we had TONS of extra power so did the H-60s. We could fly the heck out of them but as soon as we started working in higher altitudes, you could see a whole lot of issues arise as all that power was no longer available. The pilots had been so used to having all the available power that when they had to monitor their power they couldn't and would over torque, have hard landings or even crash the same airframe they had flown for years.

I would love to have more power but I became a much better pilot when power was limited as I actually had to figure out how to get the job done with limited power. I can, and have, apply those techiques to an aircraft with more power with excellent results but I can't apply a lot of the things I did in a high power aircraft in a lower power aircraft.

Nothing more, nothing less. You can take your crazy C130 weiner measuring games and keep them to yourself. We don't want to know.

I'm thinking it's no ILS, just NDBs for you. Cuz all that stuff is for pussies.
Funny you should say that since the airfield I fly out of has no CG approved approach since our NDB failed.

SkLee00

I had my first 900 hours in H-60s.....I have been flying the H-3 for the last three years...which is basically an under-powered H-60 with a very basic/old AFCS (in H-3 parlance it's called ASE). I listened to all these folks talk about limited power margins and a sloppy stabilization system but, frankly, the biggest difference between the two airframes (both being Sikorsky products) was the absence of Sikorsky's Mechinical Mixing Unit. Example....you pull into a hover in the H-60 you won't have to put in forward cyclic to compensate for the downwash on the tail, the helicopter does it for you with or without AFCS. If you execute the same "neuro-muscular" movement when pulling into a hover in the H-3 you will end up in a back drift, you have to put forward stick in, with or without AFCS....so, in other words, I blamed my sloppy flying when switching over to the H-3 on the Sikorsky engineers:icon_mi_1:icon_tong

On that last note, Sardaddy I actually did get a look at the DCA results from my recruiter. I did pick up. Before I start asking to come to Port Angeles, could I talk to you or one of your JO's to see if I am a good fit? You should be able to send me a email or private message through this site. Thanks

MD2NZ

pilot
Hells yeah!

I WANT TO SEE THAT MESSAGE BABY! Someone needs post it. I'm going nuts trying to find it.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Here ya go, all. Congrats to the selectees! :D:D:D

[FONT=&quot]3. ALL PRIMARY SELECTEES WILL BE APPOINTED RESERVE COMMISSIONS.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]A. DIRECT COMMISSION SELECTED SCHOOL (DCSS):[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot](1) DCSS PRIMARY[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]NAME RANK[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]RUNCO, JEREMY C. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot](2) DCSS ALTERNATE[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]NONE SELECTED[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]B. DIRECT COMMISSION AVIATOR (DCA):[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot](1) DCA PRIMARIES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]BRAHAM, ROBERT L. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]BURNS, DONOVAN S. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]BURRUS, JIMMY L. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]CONSIDINE, MATTHEW R. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]COOMBS, WILLIAM H. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ECKART, SCOTT E. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]EMRICH, JAMES I. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FEIRMAN, DANIEL A. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FONSECA, JOEL ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FORGENG, JOSEPH T. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HERBERT, RYAN R. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]JOHNSON, MICHAEL G. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MCINTOSH, FRANK W. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]OKONSKI, KATHERINE H. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]PETERSON, BRADFORD J. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]PHILYAW, WILLIAM M. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]POWERS, BENJAMIN E. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]STRICKER, JARRET P. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WEST, JAMES A. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WEST, JAMES A. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]WRIGHT, DAVID J. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot](2) DCA ALTERNATES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1. FISH, RYAN M. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2. TALBERT, JONATHAN E. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]3. TAMBURELLO, CHRISTOPHER J. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]4. HENNIGAN, JASON D. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]5. KIMBER, JARED L. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]6. GEREAU, MICHAEL J. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]7. JOHNSTON, CRAIG E. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]8. MUSSEL, MARK P. LTJG[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]9. RODRIGUEZ, DANIEL H. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]10.KEY, RODNEY D. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]11.WOLFE, JARED M. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]12.ALEJANDRO, JUAN A. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]13.MCDANIEL, JOHN K. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]C. MARITIME ACADEMY GRADUATE-KINGS POINT (MARGRAD-KP):[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot](1) MARGRAD-KP PRIMARIES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]BRANNING, CHRISTOPHER S. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]BROWN, ZACHARY D. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]COLEMAN, DARIN S. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]EKO, HANNAH O. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]JURIN, JEFFREY C. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]LADD, LAURA L. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot](2) MARGRAD-KP ALTERNATE[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1. JOHNSTON, JAMES I. ENS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]D. MARITIME ACADEMY GRADUATE[/FONT][FONT=&quot]