• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard DCA

snake020

Contributor
Looking at the subject I thought "DCA" meant "defensive counter-air." Thought maybe someone was revealing some super secret tac-air component in today's Coast Guard.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Fixed wing questions

Briefly:
The Coast Guard currently has two operational fixed wing assets, the C-130 Hercules and the HU-25 Guardian (usually referred to as the Falcon). These assets perform long/medium range Search and Rescue - looking for someone and dropping a pump/raft/radio to them, Law Enforcement (LE) - which can be counter narcotics the Southern Atlantic or Eastern Pacific, Alien Migration Interdiction Operations (AMIO) - stopping the many Cubans/Haitians from landing on our shores, and Fisheries - ensuring fisherman are not fishing in closed areas of fishing grounds. You can also do some trash-hauling logistics flights where you resupply various CG units in Alaska (C-130s) as well as the International Ice Patrol Flights looking for Icebergs.

C-130 units are: Barber's Point HI, Kodiak AK, Sacramento CA, Clearwater FL, and Elizabeth City NC. Falcon units are: Cape Cod MA, Mobile AL, Corpus Christi TX, and Miami FL. The transition course for the Herc is either Little Rock AFB, AR or a commercial company known as CAE in Tampa (sorry, don't know what the initials stand for). The transition course for the Falcon is Mobile, AL.

Please PM me with any specific questions and I will be glad to answer.

BonaGirl

I have a few questions regarding the DCA program, as well.

When you apply, do you apply and compete against either just the fixed wing or the helicoptors or all are aviators lumped together?

Of the guys applying for the Spring board, anyone willing to share their backgrounds?

Thanks!

USCGaviator

pilot
When you apply, do you apply and compete against either just the fixed wing or the helicoptors or all are aviators lumped together?
The applicant packages appear before the board "lumped together." However, if the CG is in need of RW aviators the results of the board will show a higher percentage of RW pilots selected (same for our FW sisters if their community is hurting).

i_hover

Dec 2006 Board Results?

If anyone sees the message for the last board results, please post them here... we are waiting anxiously!:clock_125 Thanks!

sardaddy

pilot
Good god man, you must be going nuts, you have made the request on at least three boards. Just like on the other boards, I promise to post them as soon as they are available.

Good luck.

Keith

Aka sardaddy, dolphindriver, tankkllr. :)

By the way, I was the same way.

Gjswife

When are the DCA boards held?

Hello-

I'm a spouse looking for some answers regarding the DCA boards for DH. I've read some previous posts, and in trying to figure out when the DCA boards are held, I wasn't able to find an exact answer.

Can anyone tell me when the DCA boards are held for 2007?

Lastly, can anyone tell me the deadlines for those boards?

Thanks in advance for your help.

sardaddy

pilot
I can't tell you the exact dates as I don't know them but they have fallen around May and December the last few years. The best bet would be for your husband to contact your closest CG recruiter and they can send him down the right path.

phrogpilot73

I can't tell you the exact dates as I don't know them but they have fallen around May and December the last few years. The best bet would be for your husband to contact your closest CG recruiter and they can send him down the right path.
I can tell you that the deadline for the May board is past - April 6th. I thought the other board this year was in September, but I've been so focused on the May board, I haven't thought about it.

Gjswife

Ok, thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I also assume that the boards are the only way to get into the DCA program?

DH just started talking to a recruiter last week, and he has quite a unique situation. We're still not sure if DCA is the way he will go or not, we're still awaiting word on that. We're just hoping he doesn't fall through the cracks with his situation.

Gjswife

So are you going to let us in on the situation?

Without going into great detail, he basically could be eligible for a couple of programs. We're just trying to nail down the best way to go. At this time, I'm just trying to find out as much info as possible about the DCA route.

Thanks.

sardaddy

pilot
This isn't that unique of a situation. It is ok to be eligible and even accepted into different programs even if it isn't all flying. For example, I had been selected to go into the Air Force, the National Guard and the Coast Guard. I applied for all the services after flying the Army and each was offering me a comission and a pilot slot. I was also accepted into a civilian non flying position. I turned down everyone but the Coast Guard.

I will say that most don't regret coming to the Coast Guard. I know I don't and my wife thinks the lifestyle is great as well.

Hope it all works out for you guys. Feel free to ask any questions.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Annual fixed wing DCA boards

I've had a few questions about this so I thought I would throw some stuff out that the Assignment Officer passed when he was at my unit recently:

In the past we would have fixed-wing DCA (Direct Commission Aviators) to fill gaps as needed, but they weren't done often because of a few reasons:

There weren't as many folks applying (it is not the same jump in pay as prior CWO Army pilots that the vast majority of DCAs are), and-
To be eligible you would probably be close to 10 years and that means the Coast Guard is probably going to be paying for your retirement (I know, not directly, but those numbers count) and you are more than likely going to be a regular commissioned officer, not a warrant officer, so you may be retiring at a higher pay grade.
Also, gaps could be filled by transitioning helo pilots to fixed wing...but we are hurting for helo pilots as well right now, so this isn't always a good fix.

Now, we have many more folks applying than ever before(not sure if the war is driving this, or perhaps "The Guardian" :icon_tong). Recently we had 5 fixed wing DCAs come aboard (including a Marine F-18 driver) and it looks like the powers that be are pushing it to be an annual board, not a catch-as-catch can, every-few-years-to-fill-gaps board. This will enable the assignment officers to manage the billets as they know there will be a steady trickle of fixed-wing types coming their way yearly.

So although I don't know the particulars of what the requirements are (try coastguardocs.com for that), I do know that a push is being made to make fixed wing DCAs a reliable constant.

phrogpilot73

So although I don't know the particulars of what the requirements are (try coastguardocs.com for that), I do know that a push is being made to make fixed wing DCAs a reliable constant.
Probably a better page for the requirements is: http://www.gocoastguard.com/dc/dcprograms/dca.htm

Also, this is echoing what is being passed to us by the DCA coordinator. For the upcoming board (Nov/Dec '07), they are potentially having two separate boards (one F/W, one R/W) and more slots will be available (there were 19 total DCA slots this FY, 30+ next year). I'm hoping that two separate boards will increase my chances, as I'd give my right arm to be a Coastie at this point.