• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard DCA

sardaddy

pilot
Gatordev,

USCG aviator is the one and only example you will see of an aviator who was able to successfully homestead in anyone's recent memory in the Coast Guard! So he can tell you how he did that.

However, for the rest of us goons, homesteading is not really an option. It isn't necessarily because of no upward mobility as each station has the same basic make up so in theory you could go from nugget pilot to CO if that was the only factor. But the Coast Guard likes well rounded officers and even as an aviator there is a big diversity between stations.

For example, some air stations consist of three or four of the same aircraft and are located away from any other CG unit. Some stations have three different types of aircraft totaling about 15-20 aircraft and are co-located with small boats, and large cutters with the CO, XO, and OPS of the entire area beingl aviators. There is just about everything in between as well. And there are obviously geographical/weather differences. Each unit has different challenges both leadership wise and weather wise. The Coast Guard wants you to see some of the differences before it keeps promoting you.

Additionally, the CG wants you reviewed by many different senior officers not just a few. So you can expect to move every 4 years with the possibility of staying 5 years sometimes.

The only time there is really a chance to homestead is if the Air station has a few different commands that you can get assigned to. You can then swap from unit to unit but stay in the same area. The only one's that pop into my head are the Aviation Training Center, in Mobile, AL and the air station in Elizabeth City, NC. Of course you might be able to find a way to stay in DC at HQ your entire career but who would want that?

It is pretty easy for our ship driving brethren to homestead but for the aviators, well, not so much.

So even if you don't care about getting promoted in later years, you should plan on moving every 4 years. Because it is going to happen. I will pretty much guarantee you won't be in HI longer than 4.

The promotion rate to O-4 is about 85%, the Promotion rate to O-5 is much lower but I can't recall what it is as I have a while before I have to care.

Hope that answers the question.

USCGaviator

pilot
USCGaviator is the one and only example you will see of an aviator who was able to successfully homestead in anyone's recent memory in the Coast Guard! So he can tell you how he did that.
The Detailer and I have an agreement....I don't bother him and he doesn't bother me.

Great info on your site! I submitted a packet for the Nov. board, and was trying to get an idea on the number of applicants they are going to accept?
Thank you. The Helicopter Pilot Pay Scales & Job Links website is, by far, the most visited site. As far as the number of pilots selected on the next board, I'm not real sure. I read on the APTAP forum that the CG planned to select 16 applicants in FY07. However, I do not know how solid this information is.

Good luck with your career decision.

Brian

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks, Sardaddy. Appreciate your input. Sounds very much like the Navy side. Hmm..let's see: 4 years in San Diego, 4 years in HI...crap, still need to find a place for those last 2 years.

Anywho, good info. Appreciate both you guys contributing. By the way, you're seem naked w/ out some wings under your name(s).

sardaddy

pilot
Sorry gatordev, I'm too stupid to know how to do that. Besides it would be hard for me to decide which wings to post.

Also, I can almost guarantee that you won't be going from San Diego to HI or vice versa. They fly different airframes at each and they are not going to give you a transition to make it work. But who knows stranger things have happened. Like being stationed at Mobile for 12+ years.

USCGaviator

pilot
I'm too stupid to know how to do that.
Now, now sardaddy. You're not stupid. You're special. By the way, I couldn't figure it out either so I feel a little special myself!
But who knows stranger things have happened. Like being stationed at Mobile for 12+ years.
I would say that is not strange. Maybe unconscionable or absurd but definately not strange.

OK, anybody want to crack the code on how to post a set of wings under your username? I've invested 40 minutes of trial and error trying to figure it out so I now feel committed to overcoming this challenge. In your response, please use small words and concise instructions....remember, I'm a simple man.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Request to join the Private Naval Aviators forum. From there a member can approve it and you'll get your wings. Select User CP at the top, then when that page comes up look all the way down on the left-hand side and select Group Memberships. Pick your food group.

sardaddy

pilot
USCGaviator,

Good to see you are still in good humor despite your old age. I'm still getting used to being a duty stander again. You remember that don't you?

I gotta say after being grounded for two months, trying to relearn the C model, going to Department head meetings, and flying around knowing there are very large mountains somewhere in the soup in front of me I am a humbled man. Well at least as humble as I can be.

But on a good note I haven't had to fly a Stan check in months!

USCGaviator

pilot
sardaddy said:
Good to see you are still in good humor despite your old age.
Old age? I tend to view it as a vast amount of experience.

I'm still getting used to being a duty stander again. You remember that don't you?
No I don't. My 8-4 pensioner schedule is just right. I'll leave that "wake up at 3 am to go investigate a flare sighting" stuff to you youngins. By the way, don't fly over my house that early in the morning and wake me up....I'll call in a noise complaint!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Goober's timely instructions have precluded further nakedness on my part. Thank you sir....

Glad you got the help needed. Sorry to leave you hanging as I was going headlong into a 40 knot wind all weekend. :)

sardaddy

pilot
No I don't. My 8-4 pensioner schedule is just right. I'll leave that "wake up at 3 am to go investigate a flare sighting" stuff to you youngins. By the way, don't fly over my house that early in the morning and wake me up....I'll call in a noise complaint!

Well, after complaining about no SAR here the phone didn't stop ringing for my 24 hours of duty. Due to the flooding up here in the great NW we did a lot of river rescues. We even made the news. Now I remember why I liked the 8-4 sched but I have to admit, it was fun being an operator again. It certainly was no flare sighting.

FlyArmy11

Fixed Wing DCAs.

Dear Ladies & Gentlemen:

Good evening, I was wondering if any of you could please shed some light on the fixed wing side of the house in USCG Aviation. I will be applying for the Spring `07 DCA Board for one of the new Fixed Wing DCA slots. If you could please put me in touch with any USCG Fixed Wing Drivers and/or former Army Aviators in order to chat and get the Pro's & Con's of your fine organization...I would greatly appreciate it!!! Please feel free to PM or E-mail (matthew.smith3@us.army.mil) your contact information and I will get back to you ASAP!!! Thanks in advance, take care, & fly safe!!!

Respectfully,

Matt