• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CNAF/CNATRA Callsign Review Boards?

Pags

N/A
pilot
We were just talking at work about the last time this happened back in '11 and I joked that we were about due for another callsign heading check. Guess I should play the lottery.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
:eek: Context matters... As an aside, not sure how anyone here feels that the racially centered call signs are "ok" in today's wine cooler, politically correct Navy. It is what it is.

What is it about the eggplant that upsets you? Honest question, as I'm curious. Is it race related or name-calling related?

I'm kinda curious too, so I looked it up in urban dictionary. Sure enough, in the right context it's got an old fashioned racist connotation... whatever the story behind using the word that way, you got me. I guess I got this far in life not knowing this one. (And WTF?? I happen to really like eggplant the vegetable- seriously.)

I’ve never heard of any racial connotations associated with eggplant before but apparently there is from the Sicilian word for it, ‘mulignan’, often shortened to ‘moolie’, which I have definitely heard before. To make the connection between that and the emoji though is a real stretch given the ubiquity of that particular emoji and scarcity of the folks who would be aware of the etymology of that slur.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nothing upsets me.

I'm just surprised that given the ultra/overly politically correct Navy culture we live in today that the instructors would even go anywhere near anything even remotely biased or racial sounding/looking/smelling, especially with African American students.

8 Ball
Radio
Eggplant
Snoop
MC

Common... Walking real close to that fine line if not on it...

As Jim pointed out, Eggplant is a thing. I wasn't aware, so now I'm educated. Though it's a pretty obscure reference. But right or wrong, it's a thing. That said, the others...meh. It's a different world than maybe you have experienced....although maybe that's not the case anymore. I worked very closely with a "Short Round." An obvious acknowledgment to both his race and stature. It wasn't an issue for anyone, including him. I also worked with and flew with a "Bob" that wasn't male. If you knew why that was her name, it made a lot of sense and was a compliment (and she knew it and embraced it). But that's the problem here. Taken out of context, or when someone needs to further an agenda, things get taken out of context.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As Jim pointed out, Eggplant is a thing. I wasn't aware, so now I'm educated. Though it's a pretty obscure reference. But right or wrong, it's a thing. That said, the others...meh. It's a different world than maybe you have experienced....although maybe that's not the case anymore. I worked very closely with a "Short Round." An obvious acknowledgment to both his race and stature. It wasn't an issue for anyone, including him. I also worked with and flew with a "Bob" that wasn't male. If you knew why that was her name, it made a lot of sense and was a compliment (and she knew it and embraced it). But that's the problem here. Taken out of context, or when someone needs to further an agenda, things get taken out of context.

It wasn’t even a callsign though and just used as an emoji when talking about a student, that is what I mean it being a real stretch to find any thing racial about it and the investigation found the same.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It wasn’t even a callsign though and just used as an emoji when talking about a student, that is what I mean it being a real stretch to find any thing racial about it and the investigation found the same.

I totally agree. But my original question to bubblehead included the racial angle, so I was being conservative in my "understanding." Personally, I think it was just a dick joke, but you know that already.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
"The Marine pilot should have been allowed to be present while witnesses were interviewed for his Field Flight Performance Board, an administrative proceeding to determine his fate as a naval aviator."

I am curious to where this came from...As far as I can recall confronting witnesses during FFPB/FNAEBs is not a normal procedure. Correct me if I am wrong. It is not a criminal trial and the burden of proof or cause is on the student/pilot - not the IP.

"Additionally, I have serious concerns about the content of the investigation report and the manner in which the investigation was conducted. I find it troubling that the only conclusions from this review is that call signs need to be changed."

I would be willing to bet the student involved knows very little about JAGMAN investigative processes and the lengths at which commands and higher commands go to avoid the appearance of impropriety or bias. Pretty bold statement from an individual who lacks experience in those subjects.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
"The Marine pilot should have been allowed to be present while witnesses were interviewed for his Field Flight Performance Board, an administrative proceeding to determine his fate as a naval aviator."

I am curious to where this came from...As far as I can recall confronting witnesses during FFPB/FNAEBs is not a normal procedure. Correct me if I am wrong.
Having chaired two FNAEBs, I recall the instruction stating that the respondent has the right to be present for all witness interviews - but it's their choice. I advised both to be there, but it was up to them. One chose to, the other did not. Ultimately same outcome for both, and the board's recommendation was upheld at CNAF.

Last edited: